Crap towns

The Tamworth thing got me thinking a bit. Ouch.

I have a peculiar affinity for some towns which are considered shitholes, particularly ooop north. By the same token we have some incredibly dull dumps down south don't we?

Good northern shitholes: Stoke-on-Trent, York, Newcastle, Ull, Birmingham, Sheffield (no, really). Oh, and Tamworth.

Shit northern shitholes: Wolverhampton, Blackpool, Rotherham, Burnley, Scunthorpe.

Good poncey southern shandy drinking villages: London, Bath, Frampton-on-Severn (long story), bits of Bristol, Hastings, lots of little places in the four western counties.

Shit poncey southern shandy drinking villages: London, the 'ring' of Swindon/Reading/Oxford and bloody bloody Luton - those four are even worse than Rotherham. Luton is worse than twelve Rotherhams.

Just my views, obviously based on personal experience (apart from Luton - that is fact) and no offence to any who live in said shitholes, my adopted city is a 'city that thinks it's a village' anyhow and though I like it it's not because it's good, it's just because I live here and have got used to it. Same goes for the town for that matter, right dull old dump.

Fuck me Guzz you could've given me some notice you was moving me up north from the midlands.
Where the fuck am I gunna get a whippet and a brace of ferrets at this time of night.

Since when has Wolverhampton been up north. You are a real arsehole. Have you ever been to Blackpool.
johne - it's meant to be light hearted. I agree, the 'north' is usually considered north of Crewe/Stoke so I believe, but jokingly I would consider Torquay the north. Yes, I've been to Blackpool several times and my comments were meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek and I stressed that they were views based on 'personal experience' and even slagged off my own adopted town/city.

I'm sure that Blackpool is wonderful. What I have seen/experienced was shite.

Fucking chill.

Here are some crap town up north, Rochdale Bradford Hudersfield and here are some
in that sad down south land. LONDON Peterborough and Portsmouth to name but a few.

That place way up North Derby where I escaped from to join the mob, in the last 30 + years only been back for weddings and funerals, and it’s still a shit hole

Good runs way way way up north Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Hartlepool

Edited have to agree with Bath and bit of Brizzel as I was in digs in Bath for about 18 months some nice watering holes there, never liked Pompey and Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute and Greenock were tolerable

Last edited:

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Guzz, how can you call York a shithole??? Beautiful place.Striling will be contracting cumdownmythroat to come and kill you for real this time. Shitholes (not good ones) I have been to in the UK, in order: 1. Gosport. 2. Hull. 3. Scunthorpe. 4. Goole. 5. Barrow. 6. Southampton. Good shitholes:1. Grimsby. 2. Doncaster. 3. Hartlepool. 4. Portsmouth (hate to say it, but lots of good memories).

Last edited:
What about Sleaford.
It states it has a castle.
Yeah right, its a block of stone on a playing field.
One road that circumnavigates the town and a friggin level crossing that always seems to be set to the railway lines.