Crap dits

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by chirp_single, Jun 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. £hit dits. I was told by an AC the other day that the harrier jet will put its nozzles full forward, and apply maximum thrust, in a rejected take off situation. Only problem with this is that the harrier nozzles only go 2.5 degrees forward, if the pilot did this then two things would happen.
    1. The aircraft would take off
    2. It would enter flight in an uncontrolled manner

What kind of crap dits are the AC branch spinning.
  2. You mean it doesn't simply use its reverse thrust buckets or its arrestor hook? I thought if biggles arsed up the takeoff, he simply pulls the yellow/black handle as he crests the ramp, watches the cab plough into the oggin from his 'chute, lands neatly back on the deck as the CVF passes under him, strolls into flyco and asks for his Martin Baker tie, and signs out another kite, while a rating spots his cab and fetches his slippers....

Confused of Surbiton
  3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Whilst I agree guy is talking utter bollox and is therefore a throbber, your explanation also fits the bill of crap dit.

Harriers nozzle range in degrees is 0-conventional flight option to 98.5- reverse if you like. The aircraft hovers at a nozzle angle of 80 +/- 2 degrees. This means that between the hover stop and the braking stop there is an angle of around 18 degrees, any angle between the hover and braking stop is effectively sending the jet efflux forwards and would constitute reverse thrust. All in the public domain by the way.

All flight is uncontrolled and against God's law, otherwise we would have been born with nozzles.
  4. Dont you mean, born with a silk scarf, handlebar 'tache and no chin....
  5. Ah, so applying 8.5 degrees of nozzle at maximum thrust during the take off roll will not reduce the coefficient of friction on the brakes, and is therefore the prescribed procedure for RTO. ?
  6. chieftiff

It's 18.5 degrees! You are assuming that the body of the jet is parallel with the ground, it's not. The angle is relative to the velocity vector....... but no even 18.5 degrees isn't going to get him in the air, it would in fact do a very good job of almost stopping him dead, that's why it's called the braking stop, it's used for nozzle braking of the aircraft.
  7. At last, a pilot to put this myth to rest. The harrier nozzle will only go 2.5 degrees forward of datum. Applying max left hand at this point will only lift the aircraft off the deck. I just can’t understand how (or why) during a takeoff roll, the pilot would opt to lift the weight off the wheels, and negate the brakes. In fact your explanation seems to be a joke!
  8. chieftiff

Not sure how many G&T's you've topped tonight but stop, and go to bed, you're pished!

Read the words, that's the bits between the gaps.

How many Chieftiff's do you know who are pilots? Chief Petty Officer Air Engineering Technician (Rtd)
  9. Then why, CPO does your explanation not make any sense. G&T not necessary. I just get pissed off with AC’s spinning shit dits that are clearly inaccurate.
  10. chieftiff

Please don't forget the Rtd, I now get paid a lot more for my advice, you're getting it for free.

Look at a Harrier from the side, it doesn't sit straight the nose points up in the air, now in the air it actually hovers slightly nose up which is why the 80 degree hover stop works. The nozzles are perpendicular to the ground at an airframe measured angle of approx 80 degrees. The range of those nozzles is 98.5 so effectively anything more than 80 will be reverse thrust; 18.5 degrees is the range of the reverse aspect of that thrust.

When on the ground moving forward, if the pilot turns the nozzles more than 80 degrees (past the hover stop) he will slow the aircraft down by opposing its momentum, hence it is referred to as nozzle braking, there will be an aspect of perpendicular lift vector but probably not enough, even at max chat to enter vectored flight, in fact it's likely to get nasty.

So you're right, AC is talking rubbish and you now know why, the pilot could of course just go through his normal short take off and transition to conventional flight routine if he needed to get off the ground again, providing he had enough space.
  11. CCPO. You have some grasp. And are not just another RR after an argument. But I have to listen to the crap dits, day in, day out. I am a pilot which makes things even worse!!! I just hear this kind of crap in the background, which makes the AC branch look bad. I know that they are all good lads and very compotent.
  12. Why not post this in the secret elite AC thread.......
  13. SC. Thats not a bad idea. Do you know the bullshiting AC? Maybe you have more dits of his to spin. God knows they go on for ever.
    maybe he has told you some of his dits.
  14. Who gives a sh*t anyway about these gash harrier dits ? - off you go chaps and sew some more (cool!) badges on your overalls and flight suits.
  15. We only have four harriers anyway dont we?
  16. CS
    At what point does ChiefTiff ever claim to be a CCPO?
    And it is about time that, as an officer, you realise that most matelots talk shite. So why should AC's be any different. God knows I've met my fair share of pilots that talk shite.

If I've missed something on this thread then I can join the rest of the matelots that talk shite.
  17. I apologise, I thought a chief tiff was a CCPO. Or maybe a CPO, but I’m sure “tiff†means artificer and “chiefâ€, means chief. But I know I may be wrong.
  18. CS what do you fly?
  19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A desk, probably... :roll:
  20. By his grasp of the naval rank structure, it's a very small desk.