Crab recruiting advert

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
Whilst it feels oh so wrong to have even visited, let alone post a link to, the RAF careers website currently has a video about the Beirut evacuation in which someone with a clipboard is apparently a major player. And no warships are to be seen. And the CGI Chinook shot seems very inspired by Modern Warfare 2...

Spidiver

War Hero
Dunno mate..there were some Italian ships off shore, dunno if Bulwark or Gloucester got alongside, I think they were at anchor...only saw lots of yanks.

Topstop

War Hero
I see they are stealing the RN's hard work in their latest ad.
CGI Chinooks too.

3 Chinooks were opperating off HMS Illustrious.

172 British nationals departed Lebanon onboard HMS Gloucester Tuesday 18 July 2006 and a further 344 left on HMS York

HMS Bulwark was expected to evacuate 3000 Brits.

Six Sea King helicopters from 846 Naval Air Squadron, RNAS Yeovilton, were due to arrive at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus to supplement the three RAF Chinooks already in theatre.

tommo

War Hero
Dunno mate..there were some Italian ships off shore, dunno if Bulwark or Gloucester got alongside, I think they were at anchor...only saw lots of yanks.
They did get alongside Bulwark was toppers with people, they even slept in the heads.

Last edited:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Speaking as someone involved in the operation, the RAF advert caused me to spit out my brew when I saw it. In the words of Gran: "What a ******* liberty!" :evil:

It implies that a RAF lass female is on the jetty assisting and conducting the selection of locals/passport holders onto the waiting helos and ships (a passing glimpse in the advert) - the RAF ground staff did not get involved until we dropped the evacuees off in Cyprus, as this role was conducted in Beirut by FCO staff (assisted by RN and Army personnel).

However, despite the factual inaccuracy, if the advert gets people off their butts and into the recruiting office, then so be it... :thumbup:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
SgtP, take the bull by the horns and complain to the advertising standards commitee (or whatever their title is) about inaccurate and untruthful advertising, that would stir things up.

Of course a decent Journo would take your information and investigate further

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Janner: Like I said - if it produces a queue outside the local recruiting offices, then I can overlook their "artistic licence"... :wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Ex crab applying to the submariners .... (dont hate me) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 80
MoD_RSS Press release: One of a kind Victorian ceramic crab at risk of export MoD News 0
Joint_Force_Harrier Crab News The Gash Barge 4
Pontius Jungly SAR boy gets a Crab gong The Fleet Air Arm 14
F What's the difference between a M.P. and a crab The Quarterdeck 7
WreckerL Crab Air have an extra plane Diamond Lil's 2
SONAR-BENDER Pissed crab we on war mmorial Diamond Lil's 18
stan_the_man What the fcuk is this knob talking about and he's not a Crab The Quarterdeck 43
WreckerL Crab Air get it wrong Diamond Lil's 6
J Crab Pilots Disciplined Current Affairs 11
F Do you have what it takes to be a Crab police officer, Diamond Lil's 6
The_Caretaker The Crab Miscellaneous 0
scouse Crab SAR Seaking in need of a Wooka Wooka!!!! The Fleet Air Arm 2
jesse crab police bullying scandel Diamond Lil's 7
Joint_Force_Harrier The S*ite Crab officers come out with. Diamond Lil's 14
Joint_Force_Harrier CRAB PR again!!!! The Fleet Air Arm 8
WreckerL Crab Air C0ck up Diamond Lil's 8
wet_blobby Girl 13 tops herself over crab Current Affairs 1
K Crab (Aircraft Recovery Officer) on Weakest Link Current Affairs 0
slim Not such a clever crab Diamond Lil's 3
FlagWagger Crab-Air Branding - building a high quality public image Diamond Lil's 5
Seaweed Crab Officer graduates The Quarterdeck 22
A Crab calling the Andrew Wet The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 5
S Crab Merlin goes Ooops! The Fleet Air Arm 13
P Hello from an ex Crab Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
janner I thought that this was the Crab way. Diamond Lil's 5
MoD_RSS We're recruiting Investigators MoD News 0
Ninja_Stoker Recruiting & Covid-19 update. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
BFRS We are recruiting for Instructor Roles - Fantastic Opportunities! The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
MoD_RSS UKAEA recruiting for new Directors MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Portsmouith Area recruiting Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
vauxhall The Forces Pension Society is recruiting Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall The Society is recruiting Finance & Pensions 0
Trainer HMS KING ALFRED Recruiting Open Day 9th June 2018. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Teenage daughter (18) in recruiting phase. Joining the Royal Navy 20
janner Latest recruiting poster. Diamond Lil's 29
Ninja_Stoker Defence Recruiting System (DRS) Feedback request Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 72
Wightsparker Recruiting opportunity? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
G Have you ever passed Medical underweight? Gaining Weight before Recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
SONAR-BENDER Genuine recruiting or major bite? Diamond Lil's 8
M Psychometric Recruiting Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
cobra_wasp97 Just came out of the recruiting office, forgot to ask two most important questions... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Ninja_Stoker Feedback Request - Social Media & Recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
wave_dodger Italian Recruiting Current Affairs 11
P CAMBRIA recruiting tactics questioned in Parliament Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
Stirlin New RN recruiting ads...... Made in the Royal Navy. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
sgtpepperband Recruiting: Scottish Fire and Rescue Service The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Seaweed FAA Aircrew Recruiting adverts The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Telegraph: "Wave Of Suspected Bombs Sent To Armed Forces Recruiting Offices" Current Affairs 30
S Recruiting now! The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0