Crab recruiting advert

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by bluevillain, Aug 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see they are stealing the RN's hard work in their latest ad.
    CGI Chinooks too.

2. link?........

3. Whilst it feels oh so wrong to have even visited, let alone post a link to, the RAF careers website currently has a video about the Beirut evacuation in which someone with a clipboard is apparently a major player. And no warships are to be seen. And the CGI Chinook shot seems very inspired by Modern Warfare 2...

4. The evacuation of Beirut in 2006..er that was the USN and the US Marine Corps..not the RAF..bless em !!

5. So HMS Bulwark didn't do anything then just the yanks hey?

6. Dunno mate..there were some Italian ships off shore, dunno if Bulwark or Gloucester got alongside, I think they were at anchor...only saw lots of yanks.

7. 3 Chinooks were opperating off HMS Illustrious.

172 British nationals departed Lebanon onboard HMS Gloucester Tuesday 18 July 2006 and a further 344 left on HMS York

HMS Bulwark was expected to evacuate 3000 Brits.

Six Sea King helicopters from 846 Naval Air Squadron, RNAS Yeovilton, were due to arrive at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus to supplement the three RAF Chinooks already in theatre.

8. They did get alongside Bulwark was toppers with people, they even slept in the heads.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  9. Come on now, we've all done that!

• Like Like x 1
  10. That's true Joe :lol: you knew what I meant though

11. In my defence I did not visit any Crab web site. It's been on the TV constantly for over a week.

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Speaking as someone involved in the operation, the RAF advert caused me to spit out my brew when I saw it. In the words of Gran: "What a ******* liberty!" :evil:

It implies that a RAF lass female is on the jetty assisting and conducting the selection of locals/passport holders onto the waiting helos and ships (a passing glimpse in the advert) - the RAF ground staff did not get involved until we dropped the evacuees off in Cyprus, as this role was conducted in Beirut by FCO staff (assisted by RN and Army personnel).

However, despite the factual inaccuracy, if the advert gets people off their butts and into the recruiting office, then so be it... :thumbup:

13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

SgtP, take the bull by the horns and complain to the advertising standards commitee (or whatever their title is) about inaccurate and untruthful advertising, that would stir things up.

Of course a decent Journo would take your information and investigate further

14. There lies the problem. Finding a 'decent' media person!

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Janner: Like I said - if it produces a queue outside the local recruiting offices, then I can overlook their "artistic licence"... :wink:

16. Is that the one you would find behind the honest politician . . . ? :biggrin:

17. I'll ask Asst_Ed, see if he knows any.