CPO Charles Edwin Baldwin DSM

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Chief Petty Officer Baldwin was one of the first 3 in the RN decorated in WW2. On 25 November 1939 he and two others were decorated for showing great courage rendering safe the first A type magnetic mine at Shoeburyness.
They received their awards at HMS Vernon from HM The King on 19 December a month later.
By 3 February 1940 he and the 4 RNVR Sub Lts he was instructing , together with 90% of HMS Firefly's crew were dead.
HMS Firefly ,a trawler taken up from trade and engaged in mine warfare counter measures had located a horned mine that Chief Baldwin and his team were dealing with when a destroyer sped past causing Firefly to roll striking one of the mines horns.
In that short space of time a gallant man was dead.

Chief Petty Officer Baldwin was one of the first 3 in the RN decorated in WW2. On 25 November 1939 he and two others were decorated for showing great courage rendering safe the first A type magnetic mine at Shoeburyness.
They received their awards at HMS Vernon from HM The King on 19 December a month later*.

By 3 February 1940 he and the 4 RNVR Sub Lts he was instructing , together with 90% of HMS Firefly's crew were dead.
HMS Firefly ,a trawler taken up from trade and engaged in mine warfare counter measures had located a horned mine that Chief Baldwin and his team were dealing with when a destroyer sped past causing Firefly to roll striking one of the mines horns.
In that short space of time a gallant man was dead.
*Aye - Medal ceremony photo etc posted previously by @Naval_Gazer at #9 here:

and here; https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/no-phoney-war-for-the-royal-navy.50994/

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Thank you for that. It was my interest in what became of the first three RN to be decorated. We know that Glenny went on to earn a further DSO to a well earned retirement but I have been unable to find little of Archibald Vearncombe the third member of that team that taught us so much of magnetic mines.

It's sad state of affairs today that my eldest who works for the EU by the way. remarks to me that had CPO Baldwin survived and joined Rum Ration with his war time experiences he would have been considered a pish-stained old fart by the likes of the over-weight not too bright emerging from Raleigh et al joining today's navy having had difficulties with their ironing boards .

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It's sad state of affairs today that my eldest who works for the EU by the way. remarks to me that had CPO Baldwin survived and joined Rum Ration with his war time experiences he would have been considered a pish-stained old fart by the likes of the over-weight not too bright emerging from Raleigh et al joining today's navy having had difficulties with their ironing boards .
I have no issue with the first part of your post. That above however, shows just how out of date, out of touch and out to lunch you are.

Attachments

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
I have no issue with the first part of your post. That above however, shows just how out of date, out of touch and out to lunch you are.

Archie Vearncombe P/JX113903 went on to a full life dying Chichester in 1996 aged 87.
His DSM with the rare Bomb and Mine Clearance clasp was sold at auction in 2003 for around £1000.
He was a Petty Officer when he left the RN in about 1950. Service in the finest tradition RIP

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Another brain injury?

Strange stuff.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Another brain injury?

Strange stuff.
Your contemptuous and mocking comments afford you little credit.
Whilst you found the " overweight and not too bright" observations to be dismal reading--they are, sadly, extant. being the most recent empirically accurate NSRT and Fitness MOD Statistics. indicating an alarming new-entry problem in all three services. These are young men and women in their prime.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Aye ok, tell us all about your eldest working for the EU, by the way, and his intimate knowledge of the ironing skills of new recruits?

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Your contemptuous and mocking comments afford you little credit.
Whilst you found the " overweight and not too bright" observations to be dismal reading--they are, sadly, extant. being the most recent empirically accurate NSRT and Fitness MOD Statistics. indicating an alarming new-entry problem in all three services. These are young men and women in their prime.
Talking through your arse again.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Aye ok, tell us all about your eldest working for the EU, by the way, and his intimate knowledge of the ironing skills of new recruits?
Your charm has not deserted you. The point I should have made vis-a-vis my eldest EU employed daughter is that despite her high salary and pension as a Lawyer with the EU Patent Department she like all my family are Leavers. Caroline knows full well she is giving up a lucrative position but also knows full-well she will find another. She also
well understands the recruit shambles. She served in the RN before her EU service.

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
You all should be ashamed - I take it you are grown up and intelligent people - the insults on this tread started for deceased Naval heroes is especially despicable - that on other threads is frankly disgusting and does not show the (mainly) ex RN forum users as anything other than children being very spiteful to each other

It is certainly not what I joined the forum for - please grow up and treat each other with respect, especially given in that most members we don't know what they may have been through in their service lives and after

Rant over

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You all should be ashamed - I take it you are grown up and intelligent people - the insults on this tread started for deceased Naval heroes is especially despicable - that on other threads is frankly disgusting and does not show the (mainly) ex RN forum users as anything other than children being very spiteful to each other

It is certainly not what I joined the forum for - please grow up and treat each other with respect, especially given in that most members we don't know what they may have been through in their service lives and after

Rant over
Perhaps if the OP hadn't derailed his own thread by slagging off today's sailors, I might respect your point of view Dusty. However....

Stirlin

War Hero
Your charm has not deserted you. The point I should have made vis-a-vis my eldest EU employed daughter is that despite her high salary and pension as a Lawyer with the EU Patent Department she like all my family are Levers Caroline knows full well she is giving up a lucrative position but also knows full-well she will find another. She also
well understands the recruit shambles. She served in the RN before her EU service.
My bold , you are Levers dad ? , does he know ? , or are you trying to impress the rest of the site ?.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Your charm has not deserted you. The point I should have made vis-a-vis my eldest EU employed daughter is that despite her high salary and pension as a Lawyer with the EU Patent Department she like all my family are Leavers. Caroline knows full well she is giving up a lucrative position but also knows full-well she will find another. She also
She’s a high flyer with loads of cash and a super awesome job, and because she’s so super at her job and voted leave, is returning home to be headhunted for another awesome job. All the while keeping her finger on the pulse of the ironing skills of new recruits.

Cool story bro.....

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
This trolling pretend snobbery act is a common feature on this site. You sound like slim and the fluffer in drag.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
This trolling pretend snobbery act is a common feature on this site. You sound like slim and the fluffer in drag.
Not all the ex Ganges boys endured their Fifth-Fives victualled in the Forward , cockroach infested,flood-prone ---
------just aft of the cable and paint lockers- mess deck.
Some ventured even further aft ---learning to do joined-up-writing on the way

Last edited:

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger

It seems as if Archie nearly came to grief, again .On Sunday 27 August 1944 he was aboard HMS Hussar ,part of First Minesweeping Flotilla . Sadly, as a result of the Fog of War ,the Flotilla was attacked by RAF Typhoon aircraft. Hussar and Britomart were sunk and Salamander had her stern blown off. Archie survived although there was great loss of life.

Latest Threads