CPO Charles Edwin Baldwin DSM

D

Deleted 59428

Chief Petty Officer Baldwin was one of the first 3 in the RN decorated in WW2. On 25 November 1939 he and two others were decorated for showing great courage rendering safe the first A type magnetic mine at Shoeburyness.
They received their awards at HMS Vernon from HM The King on 19 December a month later.
By 3 February 1940 he and the 4 RNVR Sub Lts he was instructing , together with 90% of HMS Firefly's crew were dead.
HMS Firefly ,a trawler taken up from trade and engaged in mine warfare counter measures had located a horned mine that Chief Baldwin and his team were dealing with when a destroyer sped past causing Firefly to roll striking one of the mines horns.
In that short space of time a gallant man was dead.

Chief Petty Officer Baldwin was one of the first 3 in the RN decorated in WW2. On 25 November 1939 he and two others were decorated for showing great courage rendering safe the first A type magnetic mine at Shoeburyness.
They received their awards at HMS Vernon from HM The King on 19 December a month later*.

By 3 February 1940 he and the 4 RNVR Sub Lts he was instructing , together with 90% of HMS Firefly's crew were dead.
HMS Firefly ,a trawler taken up from trade and engaged in mine warfare counter measures had located a horned mine that Chief Baldwin and his team were dealing with when a destroyer sped past causing Firefly to roll striking one of the mines horns.
In that short space of time a gallant man was dead.
*Aye - Medal ceremony photo etc posted previously by @Naval_Gazer at #9 here:

and here; https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/no-phoney-war-for-the-royal-navy.50994/

D

Deleted 59428

Thank you for that. It was my interest in what became of the first three RN to be decorated. We know that Glenny went on to earn a further DSO to a well earned retirement but I have been unable to find little of Archibald Vearncombe the third member of that team that taught us so much of magnetic mines.

It's sad state of affairs today that my eldest who works for the EU by the way. remarks to me that had CPO Baldwin survived and joined Rum Ration with his war time experiences he would have been considered a pish-stained old fart by the likes of the over-weight not too bright emerging from Raleigh et al joining today's navy having had difficulties with their ironing boards .

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It's sad state of affairs today that my eldest who works for the EU by the way. remarks to me that had CPO Baldwin survived and joined Rum Ration with his war time experiences he would have been considered a pish-stained old fart by the likes of the over-weight not too bright emerging from Raleigh et al joining today's navy having had difficulties with their ironing boards .
I have no issue with the first part of your post. That above however, shows just how out of date, out of touch and out to lunch you are.

Attachments

D

Deleted 59428

I have no issue with the first part of your post. That above however, shows just how out of date, out of touch and out to lunch you are.

Archie Vearncombe P/JX113903 went on to a full life dying Chichester in 1996 aged 87.
His DSM with the rare Bomb and Mine Clearance clasp was sold at auction in 2003 for around £1000.
He was a Petty Officer when he left the RN in about 1950. Service in the finest tradition RIP

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Another brain injury?

Strange stuff.

D

Deleted 59428

Another brain injury?

Strange stuff.
Your contemptuous and mocking comments afford you little credit.
Whilst you found the " overweight and not too bright" observations to be dismal reading--they are, sadly, extant. being the most recent empirically accurate NSRT and Fitness MOD Statistics. indicating an alarming new-entry problem in all three services. These are young men and women in their prime.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Aye ok, tell us all about your eldest working for the EU, by the way, and his intimate knowledge of the ironing skills of new recruits?

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Your contemptuous and mocking comments afford you little credit.
Whilst you found the " overweight and not too bright" observations to be dismal reading--they are, sadly, extant. being the most recent empirically accurate NSRT and Fitness MOD Statistics. indicating an alarming new-entry problem in all three services. These are young men and women in their prime.
Talking through your arse again.

D

Deleted 59428

Aye ok, tell us all about your eldest working for the EU, by the way, and his intimate knowledge of the ironing skills of new recruits?
Your charm has not deserted you. The point I should have made vis-a-vis my eldest EU employed daughter is that despite her high salary and pension as a Lawyer with the EU Patent Department she like all my family are Leavers. Caroline knows full well she is giving up a lucrative position but also knows full-well she will find another. She also
well understands the recruit shambles. She served in the RN before her EU service.

Dusty70

War Hero
You all should be ashamed - I take it you are grown up and intelligent people - the insults on this tread started for deceased Naval heroes is especially despicable - that on other threads is frankly disgusting and does not show the (mainly) ex RN forum users as anything other than children being very spiteful to each other

It is certainly not what I joined the forum for - please grow up and treat each other with respect, especially given in that most members we don't know what they may have been through in their service lives and after

Rant over

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You all should be ashamed - I take it you are grown up and intelligent people - the insults on this tread started for deceased Naval heroes is especially despicable - that on other threads is frankly disgusting and does not show the (mainly) ex RN forum users as anything other than children being very spiteful to each other

It is certainly not what I joined the forum for - please grow up and treat each other with respect, especially given in that most members we don't know what they may have been through in their service lives and after

Rant over
Perhaps if the OP hadn't derailed his own thread by slagging off today's sailors, I might respect your point of view Dusty. However....

Stirlin

War Hero
Your charm has not deserted you. The point I should have made vis-a-vis my eldest EU employed daughter is that despite her high salary and pension as a Lawyer with the EU Patent Department she like all my family are Levers Caroline knows full well she is giving up a lucrative position but also knows full-well she will find another. She also
well understands the recruit shambles. She served in the RN before her EU service.
My bold , you are Levers dad ? , does he know ? , or are you trying to impress the rest of the site ?.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Your charm has not deserted you. The point I should have made vis-a-vis my eldest EU employed daughter is that despite her high salary and pension as a Lawyer with the EU Patent Department she like all my family are Leavers. Caroline knows full well she is giving up a lucrative position but also knows full-well she will find another. She also
She’s a high flyer with loads of cash and a super awesome job, and because she’s so super at her job and voted leave, is returning home to be headhunted for another awesome job. All the while keeping her finger on the pulse of the ironing skills of new recruits.

Cool story bro.....

D

Deleted 59428

My bold , you are Levers dad ? , does he know ? , or are you trying to impress the rest of the site ?.
Thank you for pointing out the abject Freudian slip.
My keyboard finger inadvertently mis_Aligned.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
This trolling pretend snobbery act is a common feature on this site. You sound like slim and the fluffer in drag.

D

Deleted 59428

This trolling pretend snobbery act is a common feature on this site. You sound like slim and the fluffer in drag.
Not all the ex Ganges boys endured their Fifth-Fives victualled in the Forward , cockroach infested,flood-prone ---
------just aft of the cable and paint lockers- mess deck.
Some ventured even further aft ---learning to do joined-up-writing on the way

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted 59428

It seems as if Archie nearly came to grief, again .On Sunday 27 August 1944 he was aboard HMS Hussar ,part of First Minesweeping Flotilla . Sadly, as a result of the Fog of War ,the Flotilla was attacked by RAF Typhoon aircraft. Hussar and Britomart were sunk and Salamander had her stern blown off. Archie survived although there was great loss of life.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Posh CPO epaulettes- Where can I ware them? The Quarterdeck 30
R RNP. CPO or Master? The Gash Barge 25
W CPO WW2 pilots wings The Fleet Air Arm 7
L CPO Fred Gannon - After any info/photos - all lost in fire. Nearest & Dearest 13
J CPO Chris Smithson (Stoker) Submariners 1
soleil BBC: "CPO Brian Diamond From HMS Diamond Given Diamond Medal" The Fleet 2
soleil Milton Keynes Citizen: Award For HMS Raleigh CPO Bases / Shore Est 1
C Cpo logs promotion signal 2011 UPO 2
Fleet_Sprog HMS Cornwall WO & CPO mess final mess dinner. Social & Reunions 0
Joint_Force_Harrier Ex CPO Martin Tebbs (Harriers) The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Faslane CPO hits the road for charity Submariners 0
soleil CPO based at Faslane in fatal motorbike accident Submariners 7
soleil CPO on HMS Richmond pounds the deck to raise £3,000 Charity 1
angry_mac CPO looking for love Charity 2
wave_dodger Anyone know where CPO (NCS) Ray thompson went? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
pngo Ex Army asks for help! Info re: CPO "Rolly" Teague The Fleet Air Arm 6
copenhagencup CPO AET Wayne "Ned" Kelley The Fleet Air Arm 11
Andy_Pandy CPO Gordon Selby - Luckiest matelot ever? Submariners 22
G cpo(M) A. Imms The Quarterdeck 7
S Promotion System LH - CPO Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 43
MoD_RSS Charles Donald appointed as CEO of UK Government Investments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Prime Minister Charles Michel of Belgium: 12 August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Notebooks of Charles Darwin's mentor at risk of export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Whitehall loses one of its best and brightest - Charles Farr MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Charles Forte appointed new MOD Chief Information Officer MoD News 0
D Charles Howeson Hon. Capt. R.N. Diamond Lil's 28
Topstop Charles likens Putin to Hitler Current Affairs 28
babygravy Prince Charles cover-up Current Affairs 11
soleil W.M. News: "Westcountry-based RM Receives Military Cross From Prince Charles" The Corps 1
soleil Mail: "Ahoy Heir: Prince Charles Tours Royal Navy Warship That Targets Pirates" The Fleet 0
soleil BBC: "Prince Charles Awarded Highest Military Ranks By Queen" Current Affairs 25
S Charles Dickens Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 19
soleil Yeovil Express: "Yeovilton Crews To Meet Prince Charles" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Sun: "Prince Charles Launches The 2011 Sun Military Awards" Current Affairs 10
janner Prince Charles Miscellaneous 16
trelawney126 BBC News" Charles De Gaulle Carrier" Current Affairs 42
P Prince Charles "saves" Ark Royal Current Affairs 16
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "Father Charles And The Iron Duke" The Fleet 1
soleil Press Association: "Charles Honours Navy Personnel" The Fleet Air Arm 4
finknottle Prince Charles & Chelsea Barracks Current Affairs 17
RonJeremy Charles Manson in the Independent Today Diamond Lil's 12
BillyNoMates Sir Charles Wheeler - Broadcaster and Royal Marine WW II. The Corps 1
V Vice Admiral Alfred Charles Sykes CMG RN History 3
T Captain John Charles Taylor History 0
slim Fancy a ciggy? If your Charles Kenneddy then light up Diamond Lil's 32
golden_rivet my hero - Prince Charles ... The Gash Barge 8
fishmiester Charles' Hole in t' wall - Gibralter Diamond Lil's 2
A Charles & Camilla - marriage may be legally challenged.. Diamond Lil's 18
D Charles and Camilla Diamond Lil's 3