CP level required for Warfare Officer Submariner?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by benr22, Feb 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What CP level is required for Warfare Officer Submariner?

I've done a bit of searching but cannot find an exact answer.

I thought it was CP2 (pass Ishihara) but found one thread saying it is CP1 (pass Lantern test on LOW).

2. I had to do the holmes lantern test for warfare surface if it's any help?!
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Warfare Officers (GS & SM) together with Aircrew, need to be CP1 due to Board of Trade navigational standards.

The Holmes Wright Lantern Test can be used at half brightness to assess CP1 or less, full brightness for CP3 or less. The ishihara (coloured dots) assess CP2 or less & the wire trade test assesses CP4 or less.
  4. Thanks for the replies.

In an interesting twist, I received an invite for my medical in March (for BRNC April) and it also included a letter saying that I would have to go for the Holmes-Wright Lantern test the day after my medical.

Fair enough I thought as this confirms what has been said above.

So I rang up (London AFCO) to confirm I will be attending my appointments and the person I spoke to said that the Holmes-Wright test has just recently been scrapped as a requirement and I will not have to do it!

So what is the story here? Are the AFCO right or wrong? I'll be keeping the day clear just in case but it would be nice to know one way or another.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Holmes Wright Lantern Test has not been scrapped, however it may well be that your AFCO has scrapped their Holmes Wright Lantern (HWL) or does not have one- they aren’t cheap! If there is not an AFCO nearby with a HWL, you will most likely undergo the test at the Institute of Naval Medicine, Alverstoke if you get forwarded for selection at AIB.

Warfare Officers must still be tested to Colour Perception 1 whereas Aircrew need only be tested initially Colour Perception 2 grade using the Ishihara Test. Aircrew applicants will be further tested to CP1 at RAF Cranwell.
  6. Thanks for clearing that up Ninja.

I have already passed the AIB and been offered a place (subject to medical) for BRNC April.

The letter regarding my HWL said I would have to go to Brighton for it (even though my AFCO is central London).

I expect I'll be told for sure when/where I have to do it at my medical.