CP Issues

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by scottie_197, Jan 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks. Been loitering around this forum for a while picking up all the quality gen on show, big thank you for that, but there comes a time in every chaps life when he must butch up and write something.

Skipping the autobiography in favour of salient points: I am applying to be a Pilot in the FAA and had some potentially earth shattering news which I would like to clarify.

Had my medical this morning and I failed to pick a couple of coloured numbers out of a splodge of other colours (I think the technical term in the Ishihara colour test).

Despite never showing any evidence of colour blindness in the last 22 years, the doc says I may or may not, possibly be potentially borderline red/green colour blind. A bit. Perhaps.

I have been referred to have the HW Lantern test. On reading many of the threads this means that I am at most CP3 and the HW Lantern is required to distinguish as to whether I am CP3, CP4 or CPBu**ered. Does this mean, on account of failing the splodges, I am up the proverbial creek as far as flying goes? Or can I pull it back with the lanterns?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Thanks Ninja.

I'm not sure how many I got wrong but the doc was very ambiguous about whether or not it was a pass.

Can I still take the HW Lantern on half to see if I am CP1? Or do I need both Ishihara AND Lantern to get that grade?

What are the CP requirements for Warfare Officer?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Apologies I moved the post (below).

Most people who have less than perfect colour perception don't know anything about it until they join the Armed Forces, myself amongst them.

The Lantern test can be used on half brightness to test for CP1 if you pass the Ishihara (Full brightness differentiates between CP3 & CP4) - CP1 is the required standard for Pilot/Observer.

The Ishihara Test is 15 plates, any two wrong = below CP2 = unfit for aircrew.

You can ask to undergo the Ishihara Test again if you wish - make sure you have adequate lighting or conduct it in daylight.

You need to pass Ishihara & lantern test to be graded CP1.

Warfare Officer is CP1 also due to Navigation lights - red/green.

4. Looks like that's the end of that dream then. I undertook the Ishihara test twice and got some wrong both times.

Quick question, off topic then I promise I will leave you alone. Would a degree in Physiology be in any way accepted as a 'relevant degree' for any of the engineering branches? (Massive long shot, I know).

Thanks for your info.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

When my school realised that my jabbering on about the Navy was real, I was sent to the school doc for a colour vision test - which obviously I passed, but in an ideal world this simple thing, which only needed a book of dots with a number pattern on each page, would be set EARLY to any aspiring RN applicant to avoid disappointment.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You can but ask you ACLO as some science degrees are accepted in lieu of an Engineering Degree, but otherwise it maybe worth looking to see if there are any medical branch officer posts which accept your degree or perhaps logistics officer.

7. Fair enough, that was my next port of call. Thanks for you help, although not what I wanted to here it is greatly appreciated nonetheless.

8. I believe only Maths and Physics are accepted as an alternate to those with engineering in the title for Eng Officer.

9. All the BRNC February candidates are being re tested this week, with the Holmes lantern test, let's hope no one is disappointed this late in the process!