Couple Of Questions About Life in RFA

johns452

I have been thinking about joining the RFA since I lost my job due to Covid. I have been thinking about joining up as a Steward apprentice (I was thinking about joining as logistics officer trainee, but I don't have National 5 maths, I have National 5 Maths Lifeskills). This forum has been a great source of info, but I just had a couple of questions I have not been able to find answers to.

I was mainly wondering what life is like when you are at sea. How many hours would you tend to work per day as a Steward? And do you get days off?

And if anyone knows, do you actually get your own cabin whilst at sea? The website says that, but I have worked in recruitment since leaving school so I know that recruitment info isnt always accurate. I saw a post saying apprentices share cabins, but I have also seen posts saying you will get your own cabin.

Skylarker

Lantern Swinger
From what i have read on this forum and from other sources, at sea one qualified, not an apprentice, you do. whilst an apprentice you usually share, may or may not be correct for all ships/people etc.

cant answer anything else really but i will say if you are considering a career with the RFA you may aswell apply sooner rather than later, you can always retract it. but i can tell you its a long process. i applied a year ago next month and was lucky enough to be offered a place on a course next month.

the checks take a long time, the jabs and medical stuff too. just be prepared for that wait.

johns452

From what i have read on this forum and from other sources, at sea one qualified, not an apprentice, you do. whilst an apprentice you usually share, may or may not be correct for all ships/people etc.

cant answer anything else really but i will say if you are considering a career with the RFA you may aswell apply sooner rather than later, you can always retract it. but i can tell you its a long process. i applied a year ago next month and was lucky enough to be offered a place on a course next month.

the checks take a long time, the jabs and medical stuff too. just be prepared for that wait.

Thanks for letting me know. I will try and get my application in ASAP.