Could you pass your AIB - again

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by alfred_the_great, May 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One for those serving:

after reading through the AIB threads and such like, do you think you could pass your AIB again?!

I (vaguely) remember turning up to mine having read the paper a bit and looked at the leaflets from the AFCO and just cracking on; if I had the resources available on here I really don't know if I could've done it!

It might be me, but over to you!

2. Not serving anymore but I reckon with a weekend's prep I reckon I'd still crack it. It seems the more resources available the less resourceful our future, commissioned leaders appear to become...

3. I'm glad you wrote that Stix. My mind was boggling at the amount of stuff people seem to be swotting up on when I had a look at the running AIB thread. I've known that Naval Officer training has tended to be (generally speaking) more academic than the Army's but, not to over simplify, I would have thought that being a military officer involves intelligently managing and dealing with what's thrown at you.

4. i.e. we make you read without moving your lips....

anyway, back on thread!

5. Aha! Well I stand ready to eat my own words then. They didn't tell me THAT at the AFCO! :lol:

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Doubt it - I did a bit of basic research, read the papers, did the fam visits and then turned up on the day and gave it my all. Passed first time and haven't looked back since.

For those of you who work training CW candidates, try going to observe an AIB - I did this and its brilliant fun and really helpful for identifying what the board is really looking for, and for demolishing a lot of myths about the AIB.

7. This is sort of a lot off my mind, as I've been reading up on every detail for everything for my board starting next Sunday. Hopefully my extra-curricular activities will help me as well then...

8. ....remember they are looking for POTENTIAL.

Fulfilled? Ahhh, but that's another story :?

9. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Perhaps, but I'm not sure I'd want to.

10. I think I'd get a better fail :cry:

11. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd have some better answers this time:

Q: Why do you want to join the Royal Navy?
    A: All the right reasons, Sir.

Q: Have you considered joining the Fleet Air Arm?
    A: Yes Sir. But I want to work for a living.

Q: How do you feel about the Submarine Service?
    A: Probably no better than it feels about me, Sir.

Q: What is the main armament of this vessel?
    A: Its ship's company, Sir.

Q: Would you press the nuclear button?
    A: Yes Sir. If you show me where it is, I'll demonstrate.

Q: Are you able to cross this make-believe ravine using the apparatus available?
    A: Yes Sir. And if the need ever arises, I'll tell the make-believe Buffer to get on with it.

I'd still arrange for the Club Swinger (Staff PTI) to fall into the water during the Practical Leadership Test though. I think that's what got me through. :wink: