Could I be given my PRNC and Raleigh dates soon?

ebs

Midshipman
Im highly sure I didn't meet the requirements for my eyes rip. I still sent it off and now waiting to see what happens. Im praying my career isn't over before it began

Hi @ebs,
Keep the faith and stay in touch with your AFCO and they will keep you updated on your journey. As has been mentioned the RN is very diverse and we have lots of people from all walks of life.

D

Deleted 66316

In my experience, the optician told me then and there which category I fell into, which is Standard II. Did they not tell you?

From what you previously mentioned, my eyesight seems to be worse than yours (without having all the details; you just mentioned sphere) and I passed. There are three standards, if you don't fit into these, you fail, but you'd have to be pretty blind or have an eye issue, which I'm sure your optician would have told you about.

You're given an envelope with with a blue piece of paper in. You'll see numbers in there for Sphere, Cylinder and Axis, and below you'll have Distance Acuity and Near Acuity. They usually give you a copy of your prescription for you to keep, aside from filling out the paperwork for the RN.

Let us know what your prescription was and we should be able to figure out which category you fell into, unless they already told you. And I'm sure if there were any issues with your eyes (cataract, glaucoma, ulcers, etc) he/she would have informed you when you were there, as some eye issues require treatment.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure the optician would have informed you if you didn't fit into one of the three standards.

ebs

Midshipman
The envelope she put it in wasn't sealed and I saw the check box in ' does not' meet the requirements. I'm a -3.5 in my right and a -3.75 in my left, also have an astigmatism in my left ( cylinder: -1.25). Distance acuity: right: 6/4.5, left: 6/6+2. Near acuity: right: N5, left: N5. I'm going to keep talking eye tests till I pass if I'm allowed to do that. Or do I have to wait a certain amount of months to retry.

ebs

Midshipman
My prescription jumped a whole -1 within a few months. June time my prescription was -2.75 in each eye with the astigmatism in the left

I would be wary of taking anyone's online advice when it comes to matters like this. Nothing will every replace the advice from your AFCO. Get in touch with them and take their advice.

Good luck with your application.

ebs

Midshipman
Yeah Ill call them after capita send me an email back saying I failed or something. Its just annoying because everything else with my body is basically perfect and Im already pretty fit because I do football and running, its just my eyes ffs. Ill still get in thoo, nothings stopping your boy skrrr

Its just annoying because everything else with my body is basically perfect
Lucky you! Wait until you get to my age, it is easier to count the things that work.

Im already pretty fit because I do football and running, its just my eyes ffs. Ill still get in thoo, nothings stopping your boy skrrr
Keep up the training and your 'err determination and that will stand you in good stead.

Yeah Ill call them after capita send me an email back saying I failed or something. Its just annoying because everything else with my body is basically perfect and Im already pretty fit because I do football and running, its just my eyes ffs. Ill still get in thoo, nothings stopping your boy skrrr
Keep at it mate i started my application november last year just waiting to do a prnc, just keep your fitness up

D

Deleted 66316

I would be wary of taking anyone's online advice when it comes to matters like this. Nothing will every replace the advice from your AFCO. Get in touch with them and take their advice.

Good luck with your application.
I never, at any moment, suggested I would know for certain if he passed or not. I am not an optician and I only know what I passed on - and I'm pretty bloody blind with a family history of eye-related issues. I merely asked for more information and the POSSIBILITY figuring out which category it was, since he barely stated anything in his initial post about his eye test.

Since then, he has stated which box was ticked, and I'm sure someone at Capita will be able to inform him more in depth on why he wasn't passed by the optician. Next time I'll refrain from attempting to help or showing compassion; since it's barred from passing on any kind of advice without the disclaimer of asking your AFCO and not taking my word as gospel, apparently. I'm pretty sure the kid is smart enough to know that his AFCO will be able to advise him much better than some chick on a forum.

Ebs, unfortunately an eye test isn't something you can continue retaking until you pass, like a fitness test (you can improve your fitness, but not your eyesight). Your eyesight is what it is, and unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it. Your vision will continue to deteriorate as time goes on, which I have experienced over my 10+ years of wearing glasses. That said, hold out hope and keep that determination up - nothing is set in stone as of yet! It's one test in a whole host of them. Just keep that positive attitude.

Best of luck, ebs! You seem like a pretty decent person and you show a passion for wanting to join. I'd just wait out and see what Capita/your AFCO says about it, or you can ask for a second opinion on an eye test. Other than that, I don't really know what else to say, though now I'll keep my suggestions at a minimum.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I never, at any moment, suggested I would know for certain if he passed or not. I am not an optician and I only know what I passed on - and I'm pretty bloody blind with a family history of eye-related issues. I merely asked for more information and the POSSIBILITY figuring out which category it was, since he barely stated anything in his initial post about his eye test.

Since then, he has stated which box was ticked, and I'm sure someone at Capita will be able to inform him more in depth on why he wasn't passed by the optician. Next time I'll refrain from attempting to help or showing compassion; since it's barred from passing on any kind of advice without the disclaimer of asking your AFCO and not taking my word as gospel, apparently. I'm pretty sure the kid is smart enough to know that his AFCO will be able to advise him much better than some chick on a forum.

Ebs, unfortunately an eye test isn't something you can continue retaking until you pass, like a fitness test (you can improve your fitness, but not your eyesight). Your eyesight is what it is, and unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it. Your vision will continue to deteriorate as time goes on, which I have experienced over my 10+ years of wearing glasses. That said, hold out hope and keep that determination up - nothing is set in stone as of yet! It's one test in a whole host of them. Just keep that positive attitude.

Best of luck, ebs! You seem like a pretty decent person and you show a passion for wanting to join. I'd just wait out and see what Capita/your AFCO says about it, or you can ask for a second opinion on an eye test. Other than that, I don't really know what else to say, though now I'll keep my suggestions at a minimum.

That's a long minimum :eek:

ebs

Midshipman
That said, hold out hope and keep that determination up - nothing is set in stone as of yet! It's one test in a whole host of them. Just keep that positive attitude.
Yeah thanks Ill keep it in mind :)

I'm just gonna keep going. I'm not using this as an excuse but my test was pretty early in the morning and I stay up late a lot. I just hope another test at a better time with more rest will hopefully change something. And maybe ill be more friendlier with my optician ;)

D

Deleted 66316

Yeah thanks Ill keep it in mind :)

I'm just gonna keep going. I'm not using this as an excuse but my test was pretty early in the morning and I stay up late a lot. I just hope another test at a better time with more rest will hopefully change something. And maybe ill be more friendlier with my optician ;)
Best of luck to you. I like the positive attitude. :)