Could height make me unsuitable to serve on submarines?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by JJ1, Apr 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JJ1

I am presuming not because nothing was mentioned about me being too tall at the Careers office, but I just wanted to know if there was an official navy height limit for submariners? I'm fairly tall at 6 foot 1; could anyone give any indication as to whether this could make me unsuitable? Thanks.

Also, can anyone tell me what the length of the bunks are on RN submarines, do they vary between the T, A and V classes or is there a standard size/length for all?
  2. There is no height restriction, official or otherwise; I know plenty of submariners taller than 6'1". You should not have a problem with bunks, though I have heard that the A-boat bunks are shorter than previous classes due to some cavalier statements made by certain people at the design stage (that might, however, be a suburban myth).
  3. ?
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

He's a gobby scouser, compounded to that He's ex TA, lots of things pass him by :toothy10:
  5. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

First Officer on one of the Sail Training Ships I'm often out with is an ex-Submariner - 6ft 5 and built like a brick outhouse. He said it was a bit neat at times but he managed well enough.
  6. im 6ft 3 and had to remove the metal mesh stuff holder fitted at the end of my rack to fit in it properly, that is on a t boat though cant speak for any other class.
  7. As an Officer you are expected to be no taller than 5'9 otherwise Sixty-nining with the duty steward gets a bit awkward.
  8. I have visited Astute and it seems that the bunks are of a standard size and not shorter.
  9. If you're tired enough you can sleep however long the bunk is.At 6ft tall I never had any problem on any boat I was on including some dating back to WW2.I did get a few bumps on the top of my head at first but soon learnt where to duck.
  10. Served with several 6`4" built like racing snakes an many 6`2"+ Rugby players built like brick out houses, and people up to 20` tall can sleep down the Bomb Shop
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For submariners, minimum height is 151.5cm, there is no specified maximum height - in fact, as a recruiter our aim is to cram as many tall blokes as possible on boats.
  12. We had five blokes around that size on my current boat, possibly shorter. Is this rule relatively recent?
  13. i remember asking the question 'how can the accomodation on Astute be comparable to life on a type 45', only to be told by a Capt from FASFLOT that Astute class Submariners have the same amount of bunk space as a Rating on the type 45 due to the fact that we don't hotbunk anymore therefore the A Boat Submariner has doubled his bunkspace and so in accordance with 2SL PFS they have provided us with the promised comparable lifestyle of a 45 Skimmer...

what a load of shite

but i'm 6ft 2 and i never had any problem fitting in my bunk onboard
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  14. I am 6ft 1 " tall ,never a problem on O boats or V class bombers.
  15. Might cause a few problems on X craft. ( Do we still have them?) ;-)
  16. I have no experience as to the size of bunks in a submarine.
    This is due to the fact that I avoided the pleas of all the dirty bummers that approached my young skin body with their filthy perverted desires, and flogged my gash to a big black knife sharpener in port-o-Prince instead.
    Submariners just wont pay.:thanks:
  17. "Fussy" I think is the word you're looking for.
  18. And aren't that desperate!!
  19. Here comes the big dicks no money story.
    They usually rape, dirty *******.:-|
  20. JJ1

thankyou, much appreciate the info everyone,

Just one other thing, its not worth starting a seperate thread for but was wondering if there were/is any submariner only football teams; I was thinking if there was ever matches between the crew members of different subs, or if there are ever football matches where its submariners vs skimmers?? does that ever happen
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011