Could any one offer me a little advice please

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by pukka_gen, Apr 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. firstly evening all

    im having a few issues

    me and my partner of 7 years are lookinfor some service accommodation (some thing like a patch) only short term say a year or so,we have 2 children but we are not married as neither of us really think marriage is all its cracked up to be.

    are we entitled or could we be granted said accommodation

    if so

    who would i get in touch with, as i seem to be having no joy from the u/s writers im dealing with

    any info would be greatly appreciated


    pukka gen
  2. Unfortunately, and quite wrongly, you have to be married or in a Civil Partnership to be considered eligile for a Quarter. I am in exactly the same situation as you so know all about it. The irritating thing is that I know for a fact that there are 48 empty, and progresing into disrepair quarters where I serve. But because I don't meet the above criteria, I can't have one. I'm afraid you've fully dipped unless you tie the knot, just hang in for the 30k LSAP mate.
  3. Don't I remember a couple of Army single mothers being allocated MQs in Aldershot? There was a big equal opportunites noise at the time.

    If that's the case, there is surely a precedent to quote for this case?
  4. chieftiff

    chieftiff War Hero Moderator

    I think the "rules" are either fluid or complicated! As a single Father I had a short term MQ for about a year, no problem and entitled. Other circumstances allow you to occupy a MQ if your region has excess MQ's. As someone pointed out your best bet is to phone DHE and explain your circumstances, they will help if they can. I suspect with 2 kids you fall into the entitled category but don't know for sure.
  5. I can't find the reference but I looked into this last year for one of my lads. You have to either be married or a single parent wholy responsible for dependent children (off the top of my head I think there was a requirement that the other parent was responsible for the children for 50 days or fewer each year). This excludes cohabiting couples as they are seen to be jointly responsible for the children and we couldn't find any way round this. Sorry!
  6. I have found the reference - it is in JSP 464 Part 1 and says

    "0110. Service personnel. Under no circumstances may Service personnel co-habit with a partner (who is not their legal spouse/civil partner) in SFA and SSFA. ‘Cohabitation’ describes a situation where the accommodation becomes the home of another person."
  7. thanks all for your time and efforts ill be on the phone very shortly to see what the crack is

    ill leave a post to let you know how i get on

    a big thanks again

  8. I suspect this may be driven by the possibility that the 'other' partner may acquire some rights over the property. Just as when you obtain a loan secured on a property your wife, lover or bidy in must also sign the loan form.

Share This Page