could acute sciatica hinder my chances

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by bowcon, Mar 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello all on RRs,

im new to this forum and am also just going throgh my seletion procedure.
    iv just passed my writen test and got the date for my interview. my queston is ive just started training and seem to hav incounted that icould have cute sciatca. will this hinder my chances.

tx bowcon

2. I got a split personality to. Isn't that right Simon.

3. tx ollie.

but what kind of info is that.?
    maybe u think i someone else.

if u cant help thn dont reply.

tx bowcon

4. Don't know but if you're female do you have a cute angina :thumright:

5. I thought Sciatica was just (ha! just, effing hurts!) a trapped nerve, you know, the SCIATIC nerve?

6. Sorry mate, trying to be funny to no avail.

I was pretending Simon was the other half of my personality. It was funny in my head.

7. When you have to explain it your on a hiding to nothing mate!!!

8. You can't discover you have "acute" sciatica. Acute and chronic are the most misused words in medicine. Acute means that it has come on quickly and is currently causing a problem - acute angina, acute respiratory distress, acute abdominal pain. Chronic means it's a longterm problem - chronic headache, chronic back pain, chronic lung disease. Acute and chronic say nothing about severity of symptoms, just speed of onset.

Therefore "acute sciatica" is a meaningless phrase - you either have sciatica or not. Or more precisely, you probably have back pain.

Now, I don't want to seem mean, but what do you think? You know what your back pain is like. Does it stop you moving about? If it suddenly comes on and you're in a ship rolling all over the place, could you climb a ladder to escape a flood? If not, then your question has been answered.

If you have chronic back pain (meaning you continually get pain) then yes, it is an issue. Like all conditions of this nature, it will be assessed in your medical.

9. yes it is a trapped nerve that effin hurts especailly when doing sit ups.

but my queston was will it hinder my chance of get to raliegh or being kicked out of raliegh.

any help would be great.

bow

10. Has this been diagnosed as Sciatica by a proper healthcare professional or by a Chad GP?? I have lower back pain which has nothing to do with the Sciatic nerve and is related to the Sacral Iliac joint which is very very common. My advice would be to go and see a good osteopath to get a proper diagnosis as your wasting your time seeing your G.P

XRD

11. tx u.

i know what acute means but thank u for the speach. it cant be back pain as it s not my back that hurts but my arse check down to the top of my calf. which as i have looked up on NS direct site could be diagnosed of sciatica. acute sciatica which can last up to 6 weeks. treatment gental exercise and streaches. yes it hurts like a bastard but with pain killers i could get through the 39 or more sit ups. what i wanted to know is if they would boot me out for it.

bowcon

12. DO NOT SEE AN OSTEOPATH!!!

They are NOT healthcare professionals - there is no evidence that they do any good and, more importantly, no evidence that they do no harm in the longer term. They clunk joints about and "manipulate" joints that should not manipulate. See your GP who will refer you either to a physiotherapist or an orthopaedic surgeon, all of which practice evidence-based medicine. That means there are studies proving the efficacy and safety of what they do. Osteopathy ranks with chiropractic and homeopathy in the lack of proof that what they do is any good, and is not harmful.

The other thing alternative health is good at doing is charging a lot of money for investigations and "treatments" which you could get free on either the NHS or, if you're in the Services, through Defence Medical Services.

13. So let me get this right. You went on the NHS redirect site and now your a fcuking expert!! Bit of advice mate, get yourself away and spend some money a good Osteopath as i stated above and get a proper diagnosis as it sounds like an S.I joint to me.

XRD

14. Oh, you've looked up a website so you must know inifinitely more about medicine than someone who has actually studied it. I apologise for my ignorance.

15. Sorry Doc although i respect your Qualification and experience i believe your wrong in this case. You would put going and seeing an NHS Physio who gives you gash exercises to do which does nothing to solve the problem above an Osteopath which in my particular case knows far more about the problem than most.

"They are NOT healthcare professionals"

Erm then why in that case are they allowed to practice??

"See your GP"

Yeah like a recent GP who diagnosed a patient with acute onset of confusion ?? Sub dural haemorhage and neglected to ask the relatives if he was A. Diabetic even though his BM kit was by the bed B. His general Hx as per SAMPLE. Guess what his BM was 1.1 mmol/L

Our life in their hands

Orthopaedic surgeons who inject straight into a persons spinal cord and they then end up in ITU and paralysed. DO NOT GO NEAR THEM!!!

16. Erm, lots of people practice "medicine" without being healthcare professionals. Do you class a chinese herbal doctor as a healthcare professional? How about a homeopath? Witch doctor?

This isn't a willy waving issue - there genuinely is no evidence that osteopathy is not dangerous in the long term. That is why medical doctors (who have standards which are rigorously enforced by our regulatory body (General Medical Council)) cannot recommend osteopathy - it is negligent for me to recommend a treatment which there is no safety profile for. If you want to see an osteopath I can't stop you - I can just strongly recommend you do not. Put it like this - if I had back pain I would go with pain killers, steroid injections (if indicated), and gentle exercises.

17. That maybe true but Osteopaths dont do a 6 year course for nothing. Yes there are good ones and plenty of bad one's but that can be also said of GP's

The same GMC who didn't strike off a Doctor who beat the shit out of a Paramedic friend of mine recently per chance!! Come on it's a bloody club for the boys!!!

XRD

18. I don't care how long they train for. If you came to me (as an emergency physician, by the way) and I said "take this tablet - I think it works but lots of others aren't too sure, I'm not sure if it'll cause problems in the long term but I don't think it will, it'll cost £x and you'll need to come back a few more times to get it, oh and I don't want to talk about side effects or risks" would you take the tablet? I bloody well wouldn't.

19. Osteopaths can be good or bad. The first one I saw treated me as a cash cow and achieved bugger all and several weeks latter it was no better "But he could stop it getting worse".

The second I one saw told me it was my sacra iliac joint, treated me 3 times gave me exercises and had little problem since. If i do get a twinge its ice and the exercises and its sorted.

20. As i said there are good Osteopaths and bad Osteopaths. Some state that you should come back for 5 or 10 sessions to get the problem resolved and others like the bloke i see says come back when you need to see me. Personally i would rather see him than throw the shit that GP's and Docs in general throw down peoples necks. I work A&E so see this bollocks all of the time and would not trust many of them as far as i can throw them!!

Question for you

If you had a Pt come into your surgery with chest pain would you call an ambulance without seeing the Pt and just leave them in the surgery waiting room??

If you were called to an address and saw a Pt in acute respiratory distress would you ask for admission for Medical Assessment within 3 hours or call an ambulance straight away??

Getting the gist Doc??