Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Costa Packet cruise ship

flymo

War Hero
Something isn't quite right (understatement) with the Costa Concordia having its hickup with an Italian island. The route it was on should have had the island on its port side. All the TV images show that it is stuck on its starboard side. The ship is facing the wrong way.

No doubt being Italian it was in reverse at the time ...

Of course it's facing the wrong way, the bit that has come up for air should actually be under water.
On a more serious note, under the circumstances the low number of casualties (so far) is surprising. 4000+ passengers and 1000+ crew coupled with a significant f*ck up and a crew that appears to be useless, to say nothing of the captain. I am relieved that the figures aren't a good deal higher.

Heard on the news this morning that the initial investigation said it was sailing to close to the shore...really? wonder how they worked that out =-(

I know it said in the brochure that the cruise was self catering, but **** me, you dont expect the captain to **** off and get left to sort yourself out on a sinking ship :-/

I find the newscasts over here most amusing...."how can a ship that size be sunk by a rock"? Seems they are uninformed as to how thin the steel plate used in the construction of the average ship these days with regards to hull thickness , and how easily they can be opened up by a sharp object (like a big '**** off' rock), particularly if that ship weighs many thousands of tons, and travels at a number of knots!

P.S. Going on a cruise in February with the War Office, trying to figure out how to get a Zodiac and an outboard into my case.....=-(

Last edited:
In answer to the original question.Where the ship hit the rocks was in an entirely different position to that where it now resides.It is believed that the skipper was trying to get it into shallower waters before it sank.This undoubtedly worked and saved lives and would seem to be about the only good thing about the whole debacle.

Apparently Italian divers searching the stricken cruise ship "Corda Concordia" have found two Glaswegians at the bar - but they told the divers to f**k off, as they were all inclusive! :shock:

The more I read the more I have to check my non-PC racist thoughts about Italians. But god its hard isn't?