Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Cost of living.

According to Forbes the UK pound is the 5th strongest currency in the world, the top 4 being Middle East oil nations. The Euro languishes at 8th, the US Dollar is 10th.

According to Forbes the UK pound is the 5th strongest currency in the world, the top 4 being Middle East oil nations. The Euro languishes at 8th, the US Dollar is 10th.

That will be this then:

It goes on to say:

The US dollar is the 10th strongest currency in the world, worth exactly 1 against itself. All other units of currency across the globe are worth less than a US dollar.

[my bold]

But, earlier it said:

. . . with 1 British pound buying 1.24 US dollars (or US$1 equals 0.81 British pounds)

Now, if it costs me more of one thing to get a single other thing, I usually consider my thing to be worth less because I needed more to get it. So I consider that to be stronger. Which would fit the ranking assessment because all of the ones quoted needed more dollar / cents to buy just one. Poor wording really. Since 1 USD buys 18.68 SAR, the Dollar is much stronger than the Rand. So not all anything is above or below it - some are, many aren't.

Last edited:
That will be this then:

It goes on to say:

The US dollar is the 10th strongest currency in the world, worth exactly 1 against itself. All other units of currency across the globe are worth less than a US dollar.

[my bold]

But, earlier it said:

. . . with 1 British pound buying 1.24 US dollars (or US$1 equals 0.81 British pounds)

Now, if it costs me more of one thing to get a single other thing, I usually consider my thing to be worth less because I needed more to get it. So I consider that to be stronger. Which would fit the ranking assessment because all of the ones quoted needed more dollar / cents to buy just one. Poor wording really. Since 1 USD buys 18.68 SAR, the Dollar is much stronger than the Rand. So not all anything is above or below it - some are, many aren't.
In August 1931 you could get 4.5 greenbacks for a pound shortly before the Admiralty had a brain fart leading to 30,000 junior naval ratings getting the hump and driving the pound sterling off the gold standard.

£19 for a Double Whopper, onion rings, regular fries and two flat whites whilst shopping in Plymouth yesterday.
What a rip off....so much so I robbed the order counter of about 150 serviettes, and two pockets full of take away sugar sachets.

Humph!

Rey£19 for a Double Whopper, onion rings, regular fries and two flat whites whilst shopping in Plymouth yesterday.
What a rip off....so much so I robbed the order counter of about 150 serviettes, and two pockets full of take away sugar sachets.

Humph!
IVOR Dewdney pasties will set you back over a fiver

£19 for a Double Whopper, onion rings, regular fries and two flat whites whilst shopping in Plymouth yesterday.

Humph!
Saltash Garden Centre yesterday, wife had pannini with side salad and big farmhouse type chips, I had steak and mushroom pie, big chips and peas, I had a filter coffee, wifey had a coke ( drink, not powder or coal!) all for £26.
Generous portions as well.

Serves you right for using a multi-national fast food outlet....shop local, you know it makes sense ;)

Screenshot_20231130_165326_Chrome.jpg

Went into NEXT to look for some new nicks.
£50 ! Came home and sorted my nicks drawer out into decent/semi decent and cleaning cloths for the car.
My current collection will last a few more months.

Latest Threads