Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Cost of living.

Stirlin

War Hero
Received a letter today from DHSS to say Winter fuel allowance for 2022 will be £500 not £200 , extra £300 for cost of living. Credit of £66 to my energy supplier account and for a further 5 months , am already in credit £160 as I don't use any gas between april and november , if it stays mild it will be well into nov before I stick the heating on. My energy bill for last year was £576 , at this rate it will be even less come april when my current contract ends. I am not bragging , us Yorkshiremen rarely do :eek: but all this money being thrown at me I might start drinking heavily again :). While I am here , an item on BBC website about a paramedic who cannot afford to eat on £1300 a month take home pay ! , he must have one hell of a mortgage or his landlord is extracting the urine with the rent.

Received a letter today from DHSS to say Winter fuel allowance for 2022 will be £500 not £200 , extra £300 for cost of living. Credit of £66 to my energy supplier account and for a further 5 months , am already in credit £160 as I don't use any gas between april and november , if it stays mild it will be well into nov before I stick the heating on. My energy bill for last year was £576 , at this rate it will be even less come april when my current contract ends. I am not bragging , us Yorkshiremen rarely do :eek: but all this money being thrown at me I might start drinking heavily again :). While I am here , an item on BBC website about a paramedic who cannot afford to eat on £1300 a month take home pay ! , he must have one hell of a mortgage or his landlord is extracting the urine with the rent.
I've got one live opposite me!!! Don't know what his wages are but he owns a bungalow, car, several motorbikes and frequently entertains!!! The geezer you mention must definitely be doing something wrong or on minimal hours and not doing any overtime!!!!!

Re the heating allowance. Looking forward to the mail man dropping a nice pressie through my door now!!

Last edited:
I have consistently suspected that some of those crying wolf are in fact victims of their own financial mismanagement. Excluding the long term disabled I would like there to be help available in the form of financial advice for those who say they cannot manage. This would require a forensic enquiry about how much money was available and how it was being spent. If there was found to be genuine need then benefits could be adjusted.

Often wondered how you prove you are eligible for food bank handouts , some I have seen exiting one in York do not look in need of anything.

Often wondered how you prove you are eligible for food bank handouts , some I have seen exiting one in York do not look in need of anything.
IS there any form of vetting for access to the food banks? (Genuine Q).
If not, you'd think production of some sort of benefit claims form or the like would be needed.
If no checks, then what IS to stop anyone just walking in from the streets helping themselves to a Frey Bentos Steak and Kidley, (deliberate), pie and spuds!!!!!

IS there any form of vetting for access to the food banks? (Genuine Q).
If not, you'd think production of some sort of benefit claims form or the like would be needed.
If no checks, then what IS to stop anyone just walking in from the streets helping themselves to a Frey Bentos Steak and Kidley, (deliberate), pie and spuds!!!
It must depend on area, here druggies get a bag of food and sell it on.

Nice to see that things are going well over on planet Zog, meanwhile us poor wretches over on the real world got a letter from the DWP notifying us of a £250 winter fuel payment. Are you sure your not on the sauce ????

Last edited:
Nice to see that things are going well over on planet Zog, meanwhile us poor wretches over on the real world got a letter from the DWP notifying us of a £250 winter fuel payment. Are you sure your not on the sauce ????
I believe Stirlin can read and if that's what his letter says then that's what he's going to get.

If you are married and both of pensionable age then the allowance is split equally between you. So the normal £100 winter fuel allowance plus half of the extra £300 = £150 so total payment of £250.
Bump yer missus orf if you want the lot :)

Just waiting for SWIMBO's letter! Had mine, a nice £250 tucked away in the 'Pay the Wolves' account!!!! Ready for when they start asking for the pound of flesh.
Anyway, planet Zog ain't so bad, 250 x 2 is better than bugger all.

Just waiting for SWIMBO's letter! Had mine, a nice £250 tucked away in the 'Pay the Wolves' account!!!! Ready for when they start asking for the pound of flesh.
Anyway, planet Zog ain't so bad, 250 x 2 is better than bugger all.
wot about us youngsters on full time jobs?

Latest Threads