COst Cutting in the RN

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by mikh, Nov 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the papers this morning - HMS Collingwood has turned off its heating - this means the biggest (if memory servres) military training establishment in the UK is expected to work in temps down to 5C, the cost cutting exercise (expected to save £3000 per day) covers supposidly the whole base, Ratings have been advised to wear warm clothing and use blankets were appropriate. If this was in a college the student would be sent home. If this was in a government department the civil servent would strike, but no poor old jack has to put up with it, H&S legislation about the minimum temp at work does not seem to cover him (or her).
  2. I have not read the report myself but this may stem from late Oct/early Nov - I was there on MNAC and the officers were complaining of just the same thing.

Indeed, there was an email sent out by our RTO to all people attending a weekend immediately following this course - warning them to bring extra blankets! The RNR are nothing if not resourceful and prepared!!

PS although I still have the email it was absolutely not me that leaked it to the press!!
  3. I believe CWD did leave it's heating off an extra week, as did Portsmouth Naval Base, but I also believe it was turned back on for the recent cold snap.

Unless they've turned it off again!

Cost cutting is happening all round the RN at the moment. We have to pay for those Astutes, CVFs, Type 45s etc somehow :wink:
  4. It seem that they have turned it off again - will be reviewed next week or this week depending on how old the report is, can not see it being from October though as heating is traditionally switched on in October
  5. Fxxk me, we all seem to be finding it acceptable that the RN can't afford something as basic as heating?
    It's NOVEMBER and they're turning it off?
    Three words - "duty of care" :roll: :roll: :roll:
  6. All part of the cost saving initiative in PORFLOT, aimed at saving £Xm over the next three years to strengthen the case for the NB review. As pointed out earlier this is all to do with paying for the current fracas (fracii?) in sandy places.

Read in the paper that the current shower of sh1t have paid out £64Billion on welfare benefits last year and yet can't be @rsed to fund the forces properly. Can you imagine what could be done with even 10% of that amount of money in teh defence budget????
  7. Just imagine doing the same thing to those thieving, raping murderous scum in the prisons? There would be hell to pay, quickly followed by numerous compensations claims about maltreatment. :)

Nothing like being charged for food and accommodation and then not having your heating switched on eh? Priceless.
  8. Dunkers just for info, the MOD has NO duty of care, just ask the discharged pongos who have received letters stating exactly that
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  9. Ouch - that'd be inhuman and cruel - we can't have them feeling uncomfortable!

We can't even deprive them of their Heroin and Methadone any more in case they go Cold Turkey and it causes them a bit of distress :roll:

The prisoners that is, not the Collingwood trainees. Just wanted to make that clear!
  10. where is the link to the report please?
  11. Could I have a link to one of these reports please as this is the first I've heard about this.

12. Can you imagine how the international students from tropical countries must feel about this? I hope their governments protest about it
  13. I don't suppose they've turned off heating in Parliament as well? Setting an example and all that!
  14. Didn't think they needed heating in there, enough hot air as it is..
  15. Not true. Believe me. The heating is still on.

Turning the heating on was delayed by about one week due to the mild weather. (In fact I suspect that most of us turned our home heating on much later this year too). It is on now and has remained so. It would have been criminal to turn it on and waste money in such mild weather.

So all those who were about to get on your high horses please put your saddles and mounting blocks away.
  16. Got the info from the Sun, did'nt have time to read it all before setting off for Work, and newspapers frowned upon at work, but here's a link to the report,,2-2006550099,00.html
  17. Vaulting horse has been returned to the gym and the saddle to stores. :wink:
  18. Heating...HEATING.... 8O

In my day at the Gspot, to get warm they made you run up and down Laundry Hill, or hop the stairs.......... No! No! don't gag me !, let spe...mmmmmmffff

:lol: :wink:
  19. That was your first mistake! :roll: :lol:
  20. But Whitemouse you had coke stoves didn't you, or were they hot water pipes in your day????? :wink: :lol:

Just think, stoves are coming back into fashion amongst the yuppies! :roll:

The Sun... a newspaper?!!! That's like calling Fred West harmless. :lol: