Corus Steel Works

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by off_les_aura, Feb 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They're a private company. They'll do whatever they like. And whatever they do, it's going to be in the interests of profit, not of the nation.

2. Apparently steel can be imported from eastern europe cheaper.
    Also, they say they are 'mothballing' not closing down.
    Warships used to be 'mothballed' prior to scrapping, presumably so they could, if need be, used again. Maybe the same at Redcar !

3. The Steel has already been ordered from elsewhere so to give it to Redcar would just transfer the problem to a another steel plant.

4. I seem to remember a while back reading all the steel had been ordered for the carriers? So must be somewhere?

5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

You cannot mothball a blast furnace - once they're shutdown and have cooled down they can't easily be restarted. Mothballing is jut another way of saying "ceasing operations today, shutting down fully next year once the dust has settled".

6. 50 million quid to start her up again.

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

As I said.... "ceasing operations today, shutting down fully next year once the dust has settled"

My father-in-law worked at Corby Steel Works during the 82 steel strike and this was exactly what happened there. Close down the furnaces and its last one to leave, turn off the lights.

8. Precisely my point mate. Why has the steel been ordered from elsewhere? Why didn't they buy British steel for British ships, like we used to? Am I looking at this too simplistically?

9. As Corus is owned by Tata of India, they are hardly likely to keep open a plant that is blamed for pollution and employ British workers when they can transfer production to India and make it for half the price.

10. Mate, the Ministry of Defence is run by accountants. Cheapest option wins, especially when the parliamentary seat in question (Redcar) is rock-solid Labour. Simple.

11. This is a serious question: if the facility has closed because a customer tore up the contract, what recompense is due to Corus? Surely the MoD and Corus can't share Contracts Branches (sorry, Commercial)?

12. I don't know PoL, but if Corus have no orders for that plant, what choice do they have but to mothball it? At least they're not demolishing it. (Yet? Let's not tempt fate)

13. My bold - well, that could be debatable now.

14. There are places in northern England and Scotland where you can pin a Labour rosette to a pig and it would be elected. I've no doubt Redcar is one of those places.

15. That is indeed true. If a customer has signed a contract with Corus to buy n Tons of steel billet per year, though, there must have been a financial forfeit? Enough to cover the overheads on producing cheaper steel? I don't know.

What I do know is that FlagWagger is right, you cannot mothball a blast furnace. The ironwork suffers accelerated corrosion and some of it will probably distort and crack on cooling. Additionally, the entire lining usually needs replacing. Having a grandad who was a foundry foreman doesn't make me an expert but I remember a bit of what he said.

16. Another part of the problem is, of course, having a government that apparently has no awareness at all that protecting and maintaining national strategic industry is something it should be thinking about.

I remember watching a 1970s video at school about steel production at the (then) British Steel Corporation plant at Redcar. It didn't look like the kind of place you can just switch off, as you say.

17. The steel was ordered from Corus, presumably it's being made in another steel mill. The MOD announcement on the subject makes it clear that 90% will be made in the UK.

Like most industrial operations not all steel mills will make all types of steel, so I imagine that what is required for the carriers is better suited to another mill's capabilities.

In any case while 80,000 tonnes of steel may sound like a lot, the capacity of the Redcar works was something like 3 million tonnes per annum, so that order wouldn't keep it going for long!

18. Perhaps the steel wasn't of good enough quality. :(