Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corus Steel Works

dunkers

War Hero
They're a private company. They'll do whatever they like. And whatever they do, it's going to be in the interests of profit, not of the nation.

Flagdeck

War Hero
Apparently steel can be imported from eastern europe cheaper.
Also, they say they are 'mothballing' not closing down.
Warships used to be 'mothballed' prior to scrapping, presumably so they could, if need be, used again. Maybe the same at Redcar !

fishhead

War Hero
The Steel has already been ordered from elsewhere so to give it to Redcar would just transfer the problem to a another steel plant.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Flagdeck said:

You cannot mothball a blast furnace - once they're shutdown and have cooled down they can't easily be restarted. Mothballing is jut another way of saying "ceasing operations today, shutting down fully next year once the dust has settled".

JonnoJonno

Banned
FlagWagger said:
Flagdeck said:

You cannot mothball a blast furnace - once they're shutdown and have cooled down they can't easily be restarted. Mothballing is jut another way of saying "ceasing operations today, shutting down fully next year once the dust has settled".

50 million quid to start her up again.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
JonnoJonno said:
FlagWagger said:
Flagdeck said:

50 million quid to start her up again.

As I said.... "ceasing operations today, shutting down fully next year once the dust has settled"

My father-in-law worked at Corby Steel Works during the 82 steel strike and this was exactly what happened there. Close down the furnaces and its last one to leave, turn off the lights.

off_les_aura

War Hero
fishhead said:
The Steel has already been ordered from elsewhere so to give it to Redcar would just transfer the problem to a another steel plant.

Precisely my point mate. Why has the steel been ordered from elsewhere? Why didn't they buy British steel for British ships, like we used to? Am I looking at this too simplistically?

NotmeChief

Banned
As Corus is owned by Tata of India, they are hardly likely to keep open a plant that is blamed for pollution and employ British workers when they can transfer production to India and make it for half the price.

dunkers

War Hero
off_les_aura said:
fishhead said:

Precisely my point mate. Why has the steel been ordered from elsewhere? Why didn't they buy British steel for British ships, like we used to? Am I looking at this too simplistically?

Mate, the Ministry of Defence is run by accountants. Cheapest option wins, especially when the parliamentary seat in question (Redcar) is rock-solid Labour. Simple.

This is a serious question: if the facility has closed because a customer tore up the contract, what recompense is due to Corus? Surely the MoD and Corus can't share Contracts Branches (sorry, Commercial)?

dunkers

War Hero
I don't know PoL, but if Corus have no orders for that plant, what choice do they have but to mothball it? At least they're not demolishing it. (Yet? Let's not tempt fate)

flymo

War Hero
dunkers said:
off_les_aura said:
fishhead said:

Mate, the Ministry of Defence is run by accountants. Cheapest option wins, especially when the parliamentary seat in question (Redcar) is rock-solid Labour. Simple.

My bold - well, that could be debatable now.

dunkers

War Hero
There are places in northern England and Scotland where you can pin a Labour rosette to a pig and it would be elected. I've no doubt Redcar is one of those places.

dunkers said:
if Corus have no orders for that plant, what choice do they have but to mothball it?
That is indeed true. If a customer has signed a contract with Corus to buy n Tons of steel billet per year, though, there must have been a financial forfeit? Enough to cover the overheads on producing cheaper steel? I don't know.

What I do know is that FlagWagger is right, you cannot mothball a blast furnace. The ironwork suffers accelerated corrosion and some of it will probably distort and crack on cooling. Additionally, the entire lining usually needs replacing. Having a grandad who was a foundry foreman doesn't make me an expert but I remember a bit of what he said.

dunkers

War Hero
Another part of the problem is, of course, having a government that apparently has no awareness at all that protecting and maintaining national strategic industry is something it should be thinking about.

I remember watching a 1970s video at school about steel production at the (then) British Steel Corporation plant at Redcar. It didn't look like the kind of place you can just switch off, as you say.

penrecon

Lantern Swinger
The steel was ordered from Corus, presumably it's being made in another steel mill. The MOD announcement on the subject makes it clear that 90% will be made in the UK.

Like most industrial operations not all steel mills will make all types of steel, so I imagine that what is required for the carriers is better suited to another mill's capabilities.

In any case while 80,000 tonnes of steel may sound like a lot, the capacity of the Redcar works was something like 3 million tonnes per annum, so that order wouldn't keep it going for long!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS New data shows proportion of steel procured within UK has doubled since last year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government agrees support package to UK steel company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nottingham steel work company’s negligence leads to charity donation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Steel: ministerial direction on continuation of Official Receiver’s indemnity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Steel sale to Jingye Group completes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Steel sale to Jungye Group completes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Update on sales process for British Steel Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cause for optimism on the future of British Steel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Official Receiver enters exclusive sales talks with preferred buyer for British Steel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First steel cut for HMS Cardiff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Steel Limited in liquidation: information for customers, suppliers and employees MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Business Secretary chairs British Steel Support Group and visits company in the steel supply chain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Greg Clark visits Scunthorpe, Skinningrove and Teesside to meet British Steel staff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Greg Clark visits Scunthorpe, Skinningrove and Teeside to meet British Steel staff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Steel Limited in liquidation: information for customers, employees, potential buyers and creditors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: British Steel compulsory liquidation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Business Secretary Greg Clark's statement on British Steel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Steel Limited in liquidation: information for customers, employees and creditors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: British Steel: EU Emissions Trading Scheme (EU ETS) update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CMA welcomes court ruling to uphold fine in steel tanks case MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Northern Powerhouse Minister green lights £14 million investment to transform heart of Redcar steel site MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Tackling Knife crime: Detection of steel-bladed knives MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp: Snow & Steel by Peter Caddick-Adams Competitions 9
soleil Navy News: "Daring's 'Wall Of Steel' To Shred Targets By Air And Sea" The Fleet 1
soleil Radio 4: Comedian Mark Steel Visits The Isle Of Portland The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS First steel cut for new aircraft carrier Current Affairs 5
soleil Pompey News: "Carriers Cut" (sic) NB item refers to steel The Fleet 8
soleil "Steel bow for Queen Elizabeth class leaves Appledore" The Fleet 13
oberon DEFENCE MINISTER CUTS FIRST STEEL FOR SIXTH TYPE 45 DESTROYE Current Affairs 14
MoD_RSS Milestone for runway works at RAF Lossiemouth as aircraft return MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £2m works to repair Doncaster flood defence are complete MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Grenfell Tower safety works: write-up and Q&A from 27 July online event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS River maintenance works to reduce flood risk at Clayton West MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sheffield river maintenance works to reduce flood risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leader of the House of Commons launches 'Why Parliament Works' podcast MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK works with governments to improve COVID-19 communication strategy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1.6m works start to repair Doncaster flood defence embankment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter and update on upcoming safety works in response to the Grenfell Tower fire: 3 July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £10 million flood repair works planned for the Lower River Aire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS works with tech firms to help care home residents and patients connect with loved ones MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Culture Secretary works with charities to galvanise Covid-19 volunteers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government works with Southern Africa to support the development of a safe, secure and thriving marine economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Three works by British modernist artists gifted to the nation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy works with Congress to strengthen its technical capabilities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Two members appointed to the Reviewing Committee on the Export of Works of Art MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dr David Halpern reappointed as the What Works National Adviser MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Habitats improved at RSPB reserve during flood scheme works MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK works with Central America to build a more transparent infrastructure sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Survey works start at Apperley Bridge for flood defence proposals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DfT to revolutionise data on traffic works to improve road journeys MoD News 0