Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corporal Punishment in Schools 1970 style

When, on the few occasions I attended school I was often on the end of some of the sadistic bastards that "taught" at Ribbleton Hall Comprehensive.
The was T Square Ted who used to tw*t you with a T-square in Tech Drawing if you smudged your paper- being fcuking left handed meant that it was nearly every lesson for me.
There was Springy Joe in metalwork who used to rattle your arse with one of the long spring things that they used in chairs and sofas.
The raving PT instructor used to take tremendous pleasure in thwacking our bare arses with the sole of a size 11 gymshoe.
And the piece de restance wa the headmaster who gave me and a couple of mates 6 of the very best at assembly after we had accidentally burnt the school goat to death while it was tethered in the field.
Fcuking character building or what just like Tomkinsons school days in Monty Python.

Ganges was a breeze

howfen_lad

War Hero
How things have changed!

Its the opposite now, teachers don't turn in, when they do they get given the physical punishment from the kids and a day of misery, that's why there is so many shit heads like i was in school...And why the country is turning into a jungle...

But i ask the question for you older gentleman who where educated in the above ways...Did it teach you lessons on respect, and did it make you behave?

EarlyChop

War Hero
My parents smacked me silly when I was a kid. Youth has become a byword for crime, antisocial behaviour and everything that is going wrong with the country. Fifty years from now the gap between the educated and the unwashed will be so great it will resemble a George Orwell novel. Can't wait personally, I know which group I'll be in.

howfen_lad

War Hero
Did it bollocks.

Taught us the difference between 'were' and 'where' though.

:laughing2::thumbup:

Maybe i would too if i had of listened in Ingerlish.
Obviously better standard of teaching them days then, i fully agree with that, most of us that have left school in the past ten years cannot write properly.

My parents smacked me silly when I was a kid. Youth has become a byword for crime, antisocial behaviour and everything that is going wrong with the country. Fifty years from now the gap between the educated and the unwashed will be so great it will resemble a George Orwell novel. Can't wait personally, I know which group I'll be in.

That was the difference for me, i knew i could say and do whatever i wanted between the hours of 9 and 3 on a school day, when it was home time, well i wouldn't dare even look at my dad, never mind answer him back.

slim

War Hero
I was frequently caned by the RE teacher due to my terrible handwriting. Did it do any good? Not at all, my handwriting is still terrible, so bad that when I worked for BAe they issued me with a laptop (expensive in late 80s early 90s) so that they could read my reports.
might have done some good for the RE teacher though sadistic bastard

wal

Lantern Swinger
Having a Polish Ex Sargent Major Armour Corp for a father who would flog; yes flog me. Many is the time I would be getting changed for PE when the other lads would comment about the wealds on my back. So as Stan said, Ganges was a piece of pish.

At the "skool" that I attended the boys would be caned in front of all the other boys and male teachers. The girls would receive the plimsole from the deputy head mistress, in private.

My father is still alive and ressonable well at 93.

Last edited:

hackle

Lantern Swinger
... And the piece de restance wa the headmaster who gave me and a couple of mates 6 of the very best at assembly after we had accidentally burnt the school goat to death while it was tethered in the field.

Could have happened to anyone.

Topstop

War Hero
Harry "Bummer" Cr*****y, what is it with Tech Drawing teachers, used to thrash someone every lesson without fail.

Tee squares, slippers, had a cupboard fill of stuff he used, once used a hockey stick on me, bastard.

He and the Headmaster suddenly wernt there one day, and no one would say why, but that was the term after I left.

lsadirty

War Hero
Was educated by Christian Brothers at school 1955-61: mostly Irish and all armed with a leather strap (known as a tawse north of the Border) and they weren't afraid to use it either. Most of the Lay teachers would give you a clip around the ear or detention, but the Brothers gave the strap on the slightest excuse, whether you were late handing in your homework. or shouting "FTP" in the middle of a lesson. They were the cause and reason for my total emnity towards the Catholic Church and all it stood for from those days to this. Despite this, left school with a shed load of GCEs. Whether this was down to them or being naturally clever, I hesitate to give an opinion.

C

cúnt

My Housemaster Adhered ridgidly to the 'no beating' rule. Instead, all misdemeanors were passed to our house prefect, whereupon we were beaten with hockey sticks and thrown down stairs. My mate broke a kid's arm with a Cricket bat for talking during prep. He was advised to 'tone it down a little'.

In first year at grammar school, while in PE, I was sent for by the headmaster, a bachelor Baptist lay preacher, to account for my crime of "stealing by finding" an almost empty Bic ballpen that had been discarded by its owner. My account of the incident cut no ice and I got a very enthusiastically delivered six of the best across my arse. Afterwards, back in the gym, Tarzan, our PE teacher called me to one side and pointed out that my arse was bleeding and sent me home.
My old man was a faceworker at the local pit working nights and was in bed asleep but the old girl went ballistic and woke him up. The old man went ballistic, too and loaded me and my bleeding arse into the car and took me to school.
We went to the third year class of which the owner of said pen was a member and in spite of the form master's objections insisted the lad accompanied us to the headmaster's study.
Imagine the surprise on the head's face when the old man burst into his study with me and the third year in tow. After that third year had confirmed he had discarded the Bic my old man asked the head why he had assaulted me. The headmaster tried to intimidate the old man...big, big mistake because he grabbed him by the throat and slammed him against the wall and threatened to beat ten colours of crap out of him if he didn't stop talking down to him and if he ever mistreated me in such a way ever again. When the head threatened to call the police, the old man sat down on the head's desk and said, "Go ahead and let's see how you explain away the grievous bodily harm you've inflicted on my boy." Needless to say the police weren't called.
Afterwards the old man turned to me and called me a prick for picking up the biro and told me not to expect him to intervene in future if I misbehaved and got reasonably punished.
As for the head, he had occasion to cane me in the future but he never drew blood again. It must really have disappointed the sadistic old bastard not to do so.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
It was always the cane at my school's. Got the cane in primary and didn't dare tell my parents. My Mum had to go to the school on an unrelated matter but the head master thought she'd come to complain so apologised for caning me. She just said if he deserves it, crack on and then came home and gave me a wallop for getting caned in the first place.

In secondary school I was called to the Deputy Heads office for my usual caning on the morning we had a written test. The rule was you got 2 on your writing hand and 4 on the other. So I wouldn't be able to do the test I said I was left handed so got the 4 on my writing hand and therefore couldn't hold a pen properly for a while and got out of the test. The teacher white ratted on me and I got another 6 for telling porkies.

As Stan said, Ganges was a piece of piss after school.

jesse

War Hero
:evil3: Ross on Wye Secondary Modern 1954 . We had a woodwork master a Mr Price a ginger Welsh cnut who was a complete psychopath who today would be doing time for G.B.H. Not the odd clip round the ear or thrown piece of chalk;- but full on physical assaults including ripping pupils clothing and throwing tools to hit. Even back then when parents like mine backed caning ; There was a stream of parents making complaints and threatening legal action. I've often wondered what became of the stupid twat and what his problem was?:censored:

Guzzler

War Hero
I've often wondered what became of the stupid twat

It's quite possible that his main problem now is being dead.

Edit: Though philosophically speaking it would be hard to argue that being dead was a problem.

Last edited:

jesse

War Hero
It's quite possible that his main problem now is being dead.

Edit: Though philosophically speaking it would be hard to argue that being dead was a problem.
I hope that the cause of his demise was serious, slow causing extreme agony.I don't go fcuk all on this forgiving and forgetting bull shit.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Once got a sound thrashing for lobbing bricks into the Junior School pond,
which was right outside the Headmasters office window. As he zoomed
outside to ask "Was that YOU boy I just observed throwing large objects
into yonder pond then?"
"No sir.....it was not me. A big boy did it and ran away"
The many dead and rapidly expiring fish littering the ground around the
pond bore silent witness to my act of wanton mindless violence so I
guess a sore arse was just rewards.

Having admitted that - I can honestly say that I had many a wet dream
about my Religious Education teacher (R.E.). She was a bit of a hottie.

Any other adolescent spotty faced fantasies you care to admit to then?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not the only one.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
1980s. I got belted 3 times at school, twice in school itself and once at the hostel.

Because we lived on an island with only one secondary school, the children from the south of the island and some from the more northerly parts were accommodated during the week in a hostel on school grounds, arriving on the Monday morning and leaving the Friday afternoon.

Having already been CB’d for some earlier indiscretion that I cannot even remember what for, myself and a mukka decided we would climb out of a ground floor window for a wander around town. Of course, by the time we got back and tried to sneak in, the duty staff was waiting for us and felt our collar as soon as we got back through the window (who would have thought he would have done rounds?). This chap was five foot feck all in his stockinged feet but as a PE teacher and a Mountain Rescue volunteer to boot he was fit as a butchers dog. Having broken quarantine there was only one punishment – 3 of the tawse (belt).
Adopt the position – writing hand out, supported by the other one underneath and the tawse laid on the palm for the up-and-down. My oppo was first – 3 whacks and the tears were flowing. Thing was, ‘cos the chap was so short he actually jumped in the air so he had a higher stroke coming down!

So numbnut here thinks to himself “If I pull my hand back he will only get my fingers and it won’t be so bad” and so I waited until the first one went up and, as the stroke came down, PUSHED my hand forward instead of pulling it back. Result? One fecking throbbing hand and a nick taken out of my wrist where the edge of the tawse hit soft flesh. Didn’t cry throughout (fecking wanted to though).

Still got the scar today!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Corporal Albert McDonald MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Lance Corporal Kelly Hawthorne MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Lance Corporal Rosemarie Coetzer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence confirms the death of Lance Corporal Brodie Gillon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fatality notice: MOD confirms the death of Corporal Steven Wainwright MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD confirms death of Lance Corporal George Partridge MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Press release: MOD confirms the death of Corporal Jonathan Bayliss, Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team (The Red Arrows) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Lance Corporal Scott Hetherington has died MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Urgent appeal for family of Carlisle Resident Corporal Thomas Edgar MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Urgent appeal for family of Durham Lance Corporal Raymond Halliday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fatality notice: Lance Corporal Michael Campbell has died MoD News 1
soleil Forces Sauces - Corporal Ketchup and Brigadier Brown - at Tesco Charity 0
Seaweed Funeral of Corporal David O'Connoir The Corps 1
MoD_RSS Sergeant Luke Taylor, Royal Marines, and Lance Corporal Michael Foley killed in Helma Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Lance Corporal Martin Joseph Gill RM killed in Afghanistan Current Affairs 3
Pitfirrane L/Corporal Johnson Beharry VC Current Affairs 2
lukep Corporal Danny Winters RIP. The Corps 12
B Lance Corporal James H. Murdoch The Parachute Regiment Current Affairs 17
Ninja_Stoker RAF Corporal awarded first RAF NCO Military Cross Current Affairs 17
andym Lance Corporal Gyanendra Rai Current Affairs 22
Gino Corporal of the Gangway History 5
J Corporal Benjamin James Nowak- RIP The Corps 1
MoD_RSS Speech: Beyond prison, redefining punishment: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
Rachelthree Punishment for thieves? The Gash Barge 58
Ninja_Stoker Unspent convictions - Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
stan_the_man Best days No9 punishment you ever had Diamond Lil's 8
Catballou Cruel & Unusual punishment required Diamond Lil's 36
maninblack Historical Punishment (RN/RM) History 17
J Capital Punishment Type Diamond Lil's 0
F Capital punishment - would you pull the lever or.... Diamond Lil's 31
B punishment;in the rattle The Gash Barge 3
H A new perspective of punishment Diamond Lil's 30
whitemouse Punishment- US soldier is jailed for 100 years The Quarterdeck 7
MoD_RSS Schools could lose out in educational supplies merger MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New remote education support for schools, colleges and teachers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Schools and early education inspection update: academic year 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 99.9 per cent of schools open for start of autumn term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Schools begin teaching reformed Early Years Foundation Stage MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted visits to schools and colleges to begin this month MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pupils start returning to schools in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS All possible measures to be taken before schools and colleges close MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Update on face coverings in schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Study finds very low numbers of COVID-19 outbreaks in schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on schools and childcare reopening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reassurance for schools and students on result appeals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands of places created in new special free schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted to visit when schools and colleges return in the autumn MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PE and Sport Premium for schools confirmed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Schools and colleges to reopen in full in September MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Primary schools to be given flexibility to bring back more pupils MoD News 0