Corp Commission

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by adamlee_24, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    I'm hopefully signing up in the next couple of months as a recruit. I have good knowledge about what i need to do etc. etc.
    To cut to the chase i applied for a commission for last years batch but was medically withdrawn on POC and given a 12 month come back so couldn't retake till next May 2008.
    I was going to join as a recruit if i didn't get in as an officer so basically thought i would try do it the other way round, join as a recruit and then apply for a corps commission after training.
    i'm 24 at the mo and 26 is the cut off for a commission. What are the chances of me actaully achieving this? I have heard mixed stories, some have said they know people to stay on at lympstone having completed recruit training and then going straight on to officer. Others have said that it will take years of good reports etc. The latter only gives me 2 years.
  2. Hello mate. You are correct that to go Corps Commision takes years of good reports. Also, although you can show interest in a commision you must be recommended first and it may just be that your troop boss doesn't think you are suitable.

If I were you I would make best efforts to join directly as an officer.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Spot on.

If you don't get selected straight from Recruit Training, you will then have to do ALL the training again, if you go for a Corps Commission.

Not only that if you fail Officer Commando Training, you have to leave under current rules.

There are many, many Royals academically qualified for Officer, many with Degrees who joined as an Other Rank, some later decide there's too much to lose going for a Corps Commission or that the competition for selection is too stiff.
  4. cheers for the comments.
    I'm in two mind of what to do. I think that career prospects/promotions are good as a recruit and just want to get on with things now. I've spent too long in accademic life and want to do something that i can acctually find stimulating, challanging etc.
    Can't face waiting till next May to try again but then that might be the best option??
    What would you do?
  5. I would honestly join direct as an officer. It depends what you are after; although money isn't everything it does help. It might not be important to you now but in a few years time when your married and have got a mortgage you might be grateful for the extra income. Although life as a marine is challenging, life as an officer provides further challenges such as leading men, the opportunity to get involved in decision making and being as fit if not fitter than the men you lead (note: the commando tests require you to complete them in a quicker time than if you were a marine). However one good advantage of corps commision is that when you finally get a commision you will have much more knowledge than the YO's you go through training with and although this is a generalisation; you will get more respect from the 'lads' if they know that you have gone throught the ranks.
  6. I don't understand this "get more respect from the lads if you came through the ranks" mentality, esp for RM. As you've said, Officers are set harder tests throughout the Commando Course, and the great majority of their training is done in association with the Nods. SNCOs/JNCOs/Mne are all well aware how hard it is to become an RM Officer, and I have never once met one who gave any less respect to a Direct Entry Officer vice a CC/SCC Officer.

If you want to be an Officer, be an Officer; if you want to be a Marine, be a Marine - each to their own and we need both, just don't dick around the Corps or yourself.
  7. yep minds made up, wait till May and try again. If i don't cut it then i'll try for recruit entry asap after.
    Thanks to all who commented.
  8. WRT a Corps Commission - I was Corps Commissioned, however on joining the Corps I had no intention of commissioning; rather I was advised that I should apply, and it was a bolt from the blue. Without exception every other Corps Commish oppo of mine joined to be a Marine with no designs on tucking into the Walcheren Essay. If your desire is a commission then go for it, don't try and use recruit training as a vehicle. You'll find it very challenging. I suspect that your motivation will be found wanting at points; if you can't keep your intentions to yourself then you stand to subject yourself to some unwelcome and unnessecary attention both during training, and after.

Just my tuppence worth, but I suppose I'm reasonably qualified to comment.

9. Double poet - bone fcuker.

10. Ninja_Stoker

You can say that again. Oops, you already have...

11. Ammended.

What can I say? Sausage fingers?

12. Ninja_Stoker

You can call me whatever you like, you're more nails than I am!
  13. I was thinking of my clumsy digits, rather than your agile and dexterous pinkies!

14. Mate, nothing to stop you going RMR while you wait. You'll get a good insight from there.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

A very good suggestion. If you stay with the RMR & gain your green beret, you may transfer directly to the regular RM as an Other Rank at a later stage & apply for a Corps Commission from within the Corps. (Not easy, but it has been done).