Coroner not best pleased over MOD cover up.

Coroner looking into the death of a Soldier killed in friendly fire incident has attacked the MOD who denied video evidence existed. Then only handed it over to him days before the hearing and are still not allowing other parties access.

MOD BBC News

Nutty

To be fair to the MOD, authorisation is required from the US to show the tape since it is classified material, and they haven't given permission yet.

Don't know why the MOD are getting the flak.

At the risk of not being popular again, I really do think that civvy Coroners should confine themselves to identifying the cause of death. If that is to include the circumstances, it should be broadly factual but brief. I really do not think it's their place to comment and pontificate on military operations and their conduct. That's what Boards of Inquiry are for. I also get the impression that the Coroners as a body have little liking and even less understanding of the Military. What they may consider their duty to say may be somebody else's loss of morale.

It seems totally reasonable for operational recordings to be withheld if the consent of the owning Nation has not been given.

come_the_day

Lantern Swinger
TattooDog said:
To be fair to the MOD, authorisation is required from the US to show the tape since it is classified material, and they haven't given permission yet.

Don't know why the MOD are getting the flak.

If the information given in the Coroners Court is correct, MOD has had this film since 2004, so that's a pretty convincing reason to be taking incoming, in my view. I'm sure we're all quite aware of the abysmal record of the US forces when it comes to blue on blue mistakes, although I've no doubt that UK plc has its own blunders to cope with, but somebody has to help this family come to terms with its grief.

War Hero
come_the_day said:
If the information given in the Coroners Court is correct, MOD has had this film since 2004

Might be worth caveating that with as reported in the media.

I just heard on Radio4 that it's Classified SECRET by the US, hence unable to be released. Whilst the classification system is open source, discussion of it in depth is probably inappropriate in the public domain.

Notwithstanding that they interviewed the Deputy Head of Mission at the US embassy on R4 and he was squirming over it, but it sounds as if the decision has been passed back to CONUS.

In any case, I'm rather in line with POL on the release issue. The Coroner has seen the imagery and is now in a position to make a judgement. He can comment on that basis.

Not_a_boffin

War Hero
I'm with PoL on this. The poor bloke died in 2003, it's agreed it was a blue on blue and yet this civvy coroner is grandstanding in the media four years later. It has bog all to do with anyone "coming to terms with their grief" and everything to do with the coroner trying to make precedent for his "right" to pontificate on all matters military. Is the sight of this lads warrior in the HUD disintegrating under 30mm fire really going to help them?

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Not_a_boffin said:
Is the sight of this lads warrior in the HUD disintegrating under 30mm fire really going to help them?

No but hearing an American voice saying "Someone's going to jail over this one" might. The Americans have been quick to release declassified HUD video and audio in the past, why can;t they apply the same censoring in this case removing the operationally sensitive information from the HUD?

Seadog

War Hero
Might be worth caveating that with as reported in the media.

Karma is correct. I'd also suggest that although this isn't a trial of a serving serviceman/woman the same rules apply. The deceased's family may be looking in. Keep it respectful and appropriate.

finknottle's second post deleted. PM me if you need to be told why.

Latest Threads