Coronavirus and MOTs

fishhead

War Hero
As the law stands cars and vans need an annual MOT after 3 years if you are going to buy Road Tax. No MOT no tax simples. But and it is a big BUT currently MOT garages are having to shut because of the coronavirus problem and finding one open may prove problematic. My own car will need to be MOT'd in May for it to be taxed on the 1st June. If I can't do one I can't do the other without breaking the law. I look forward to hearing how the DVLA are going to sort this one out.
The thought has struck me that in line with our continental cousins who are banned from travelling without a bona fide good reason it may all be academic.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Booked mine for tomorrow. MOT is all well and good, but if there's a pile of things to be fixed or any advisories to be sorted then we'll have to get them all seen to sharpish before the country goes into suspended animation.

Ballistic

War Hero
I've been wondering about this too.

The earliest I can present the car for MOT is 25th April, (due 25th May), so I'll give my friendly neighbourhood garage a ring in the next few days and see what the score is.

More info might come to light in due course anyway - I'm sure we're not the only ones thinking about this...

soleil

War Hero
The garage which is due to MOT my car shortly rang me this morning, as the adjustments to the airbags were listed for tomorrow. I told them that everything was due to be done on one day, April 1st 2020 and the lady said that was fine, she had now moved everything over to the 1st.

I have no reason to believe that this will change, but who knows?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Got my wifes car booked in for this Monday, hopefully all will be well but I'll confirm it tomorrow.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Hope it all goes well for you....... Here they have shut all the ITV (MOT) stations and declared that as they are shut, if you are caught with no valid ITV there will be no fine.

They have also suspended car tax - done on a local town by town basis here - until further notice.

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
MOT booked for tomorrow, new rear discs and pads at £303 last week, new rear tyres at circa £300 last month so she better pass...! :eek:

fishhead

War Hero
MOT booked for tomorrow, new rear discs and pads at £303 last week, new rear tyres at circa £300 last month so she better pass...! :eek:
Sorry Sir it's failed. The fuel lines are corroded. The good news is we can do it in two weeks time for £499 inc VAT ;) Good Luck @Knotty:)

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Failed. 2 x wishbones + 2hrs labour + cost of MOT = £240. Taking it back in @ 08:00 tomorrow but will only be fixed if no other mechs go sick.
I'm not holding me breath.

Failed. 2 x wishbones + 2hrs labour + cost of MOT = £240. Taking it back in @ 08:00 tomorrow but will only be fixed if no other mechs go sick.
I'm not holding me breath.
I get staff discount at 50% on parts and a reduced labour cost however as its "stuck up your own arse Cambridge", that bill would have been around £600 :(

Ballistic

War Hero
How do you MOT a vehicle if the garage is closed? - W. Burgher, Christchurch
Garages are allowed to remain open under the new restrictions. MOTs have been suspended for lorries, buses and trailers for up to three months, and MOT testing for cars, motorcycles and light vans is under review.

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) has also suspended driving and motorcycle tests in England, Scotland and Wales for up to three months from 21 March 2020, except for critical workers.

All practical driving tests are also currently suspended in Northern Ireland until 22 June 2020.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51176409

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Here we have MOT centres, which have been closed. Anyone caught with an out of date MOT will NOT be fined - it's the law!

slim

War Hero
Some of the vehicles on the road could be given a three year extension and still would not be in date MOT wise

fishhead

War Hero
I am pleased the DVLA has finally released advice as my own car falls into the period covered. A green rub for anyone who need to try and get an MOT for what remains of this week. I know testing stations are open but they may already be booked up or have testers at home self isolating.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Brother in Law and his son own/run an MOT station, no income for the foreseeable future.