Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Sorry this is a bit long! First part is a thought provoking story from the interweb, possibly made up, but hey - makes you think.

Which brings me to the second, which is 100% true and is in Ideal (the Granada newspaper) today and shows just what a crock of shit can descend when people are thoughtless.

FIRST ONE:
We are all sick of this Virus:
Let's say you woke up with a terrible cough, a fever, and severe body aches. Immediately, you rush to the doctor and unfortunately, you’re diagnosed with COVID-19. For the last two weeks, you’ve been unaware that you were infected and you’ve ignored "the rules." You've got together with some close friends for pizza, had a few people over, even visited a park and a beach. You figured, “I don’t feel sick. I have the right to keep living my normal life. No one can tell me what to do."
With your diagnosis, you spend the next few days at home on the couch, feeling pretty crappy; but then you’re well again because you’re young, healthy and strong. Lucky you. But your best friend caught it from you during a visit to your house, and because she didn't know she was contagious, she visited her 82-year-old grandfather, who uses oxygen tanks daily to help him breathe because he has COPD and heart failure. Now, he’s dead.
Your co-worker, who has asthma, caught it too, during your little pizza get-together. Now, he’s in the ICU, and he's spread it to a few others in his family, too--but they won't know that for another couple of weeks yet.
The cashier at the restaurant where you picked up the pizza carried the infection home to his wife, who has MS, which makes her immunosuppressed. She’s not as lucky as you, so she’s admitted to the hospital because she’s having trouble breathing. She may need to be placed in a medically-induced coma and intubated; she may not get to say goodbye to her loved ones. She may die surrounded by machines, with no family at her bedside.
All because you couldn't stand the inconvenience of a mask; of staying home; of changing your familiar routines for just a little while. Because you have the right, above all others rights, to continue living your normal life and no one, I mean no one, has the right to tell you what to do.
#SocialDistancing = It’s not about YOU!
#WearAMask = It's not about YOU!
#StayHome = It's not about YOU!
#GetTested = It's not about YOU!
Written by Anonymous.

SECOND ONE:
Now the local newspaper one (Virgen de las Nieves is a huge hospital in Granada city):

From IDEAL Newspaper Granada today. (Spanish/English translation by them):

A male nurse was retiring and they went to see him off at a bar. Without the bulky PPE or the protective measures that were so lacking at the beginning of the pandemic, when there were hardly any masks. Something went wrong and the farewell party has ended up as a new outbreak. There are twelve medical personnel from the Virgen de las Nieves infected with coronavirus, a relative and a cleaner. The tracking continues and the number is likely to increase in the next few hours.

The worst has been the consequence. The medical staff returned to the ninth floor of the Virgen de las Nieves without being aware that they were already infected. They continued with their daily task and 17 patients who were admitted for other ailments have also ended up infected. The discomfort has spread among the companions themselves and the infections also to the fifth floor.

Specifically, according to official sources, in the ninth there are seven doctors and nurses who have tested positive and in the fifth, a nurse and four nursing assistants.

The problem that the hospital management faces is enormous: doctors and nurses in quarantine, massive PCR tests are already being carried out on all those who have been in contact with the positives and, even if the result is negative, ten will have to remain confined days.

The Virgen de las Nieves has had to find personnel in a matter of hours so that the hospital continues to function. Since Wednesday, twelve nurses and 21 auxiliaries have been hired and tracking efforts have intensified. But there is another added drawback. When you go to the agencies there are hardly any professionals left and many - due to age or health reasons - refuse to work at this time and less in a plant that was 'clean' but where the coronavirus has entered. The Virgen de las Nieves will lower the rate of care starting next week so as not to risk losing more professionals and interventions that are not urgent will be postponed.

TOPICS Granada City, Virgen De Las Nieves Hospital, Coronavirus Covid-19

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Work this one out ... from a retired Submariner now running a Hotel in Blackpool.

If you lot think the rules on covid are bad how about this. All of Lancashire goes into lockdown on Tuesday except Blackpool.You cannot meet more than six people and the pubs will be shut at 2200. But there are no travel restrictions so they can all come to Blackpool.Me as a hotelier can book 40guests in from anywhere and my bar can be open 24 seven. And I'm only 76 so what rules do I follow

Sumo

War Hero
Sorry this is a bit long! First part is a thought provoking story from the interweb, possibly made up, but hey - makes you think.

Which brings me to the second, which is 100% true and is in Ideal (the Granada newspaper) today and shows just what a crock of shit can descend when people are thoughtless.

FIRST ONE:
Let's say you woke up with a terrible cough, a fever, and severe body aches. Immediately, you rush to the doctor and unfortunately, you’re diagnosed with COVID-19. For the last two weeks, you’ve been unaware that you were infected and you’ve ignored "the rules." You've got together with some close friends for pizza, had a few people over, even visited a park and a beach. You figured, “I don’t feel sick. I have the right to keep living my normal life. No one can tell me what to do."
With your diagnosis, you spend the next few days at home on the couch, feeling pretty crappy; but then you’re well again because you’re young, healthy and strong. Lucky you. But your best friend caught it from you during a visit to your house, and because she didn't know she was contagious, she visited her 82-year-old grandfather, who uses oxygen tanks daily to help him breathe because he has COPD and heart failure. Now, he’s dead.
Your co-worker, who has asthma, caught it too, during your little pizza get-together. Now, he’s in the ICU, and he's spread it to a few others in his family, too--but they won't know that for another couple of weeks yet.
The cashier at the restaurant where you picked up the pizza carried the infection home to his wife, who has MS, which makes her immunosuppressed. She’s not as lucky as you, so she’s admitted to the hospital because she’s having trouble breathing. She may need to be placed in a medically-induced coma and intubated; she may not get to say goodbye to her loved ones. She may die surrounded by machines, with no family at her bedside.
All because you couldn't stand the inconvenience of a mask; of staying home; of changing your familiar routines for just a little while. Because you have the right, above all others rights, to continue living your normal life and no one, I mean no one, has the right to tell you what to do.
Written by Anonymous.

SECOND ONE:
Now the local newspaper one (Virgen de las Nieves is a huge hospital in Granada city):

A male nurse was retiring and they went to see him off at a bar. Without the bulky PPE or the protective measures that were so lacking at the beginning of the pandemic, when there were hardly any masks. Something went wrong and the farewell party has ended up as a new outbreak. There are twelve medical personnel from the Virgen de las Nieves infected with coronavirus, a relative and a cleaner. The tracking continues and the number is likely to increase in the next few hours.

The worst has been the consequence. The medical staff returned to the ninth floor of the Virgen de las Nieves without being aware that they were already infected. They continued with their daily task and 17 patients who were admitted for other ailments have also ended up infected. The discomfort has spread among the companions themselves and the infections also to the fifth floor.

Specifically, according to official sources, in the ninth there are seven doctors and nurses who have tested positive and in the fifth, a nurse and four nursing assistants.

The problem that the hospital management faces is enormous: doctors and nurses in quarantine, massive PCR tests are already being carried out on all those who have been in contact with the positives and, even if the result is negative, ten will have to remain confined days.

The Virgen de las Nieves has had to find personnel in a matter of hours so that the hospital continues to function. Since Wednesday, twelve nurses and 21 auxiliaries have been hired and tracking efforts have intensified. But there is another added drawback. When you go to the agencies there are hardly any professionals left and many - due to age or health reasons - refuse to work at this time and less in a plant that was 'clean' but where the coronavirus has entered. The Virgen de las Nieves will lower the rate of care starting next week so as not to risk losing more professionals and interventions that are not urgent will be postponed.

Apparently Bolton have put their latest spike down to a man that went on holiday and should have self isolated 14 days on return. Instead he went on a pub and club crawl around Bolton. But he must have rights, the right to be find and or imprisoned.

Sumo

War Hero
Work this one out ... from a retired Submariner now running a Hotel in Blackpool.

If you lot think the rules on covid are bad how about this. All of Lancashire goes into lockdown on Tuesday except Blackpool.You cannot meet more than six people and the pubs will be shut at 2200. But there are no travel restrictions so they can all come to Blackpool.Me as a hotelier can book 40guests in from anywhere and my bar can be open 24 seven. And I'm only 76 so what rules do I follow
Close the doors and open the bar.

soleil

War Hero

FIRST ONE:
Written by Anonymous.

SECOND ONE:

S-B

PM on Radio 4 are talking about Spain at the moment and interviewing Spaniards. One woman has just said that things seem to be going back to where they were 6 months ago.

What impression do you get?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
All - as with the UK, folk seem to be getting blase about it. I don't think the UK Press has commented on the fact that Madrid goes back into lockdown from Monday - got to give them the weekend first I suppose! We still have to wear masks ALL the time. However, you can be sitting at a table drinking a coffee without a mask, watching somebody 2m away having a fag, without a mask, while dozens of folk all walk by masked up! Our little town (pop c22,000) currently has around 44 active cases - a lot of people commute up to Granada.

The Spanish Government have a track and trace App, which is absolutely fantastic. Every day we get a text to say we have not been in any Covid hot spots - possible because we are still in semi-isolation!!

The UK stories are amazing - like the one above in Blackpool! It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. Watching on the news all 'the youngsters' going out to have a 'last night' of fun before being curfewed....... WTF? I have a friend in Sweden - they were originally vilified if you recall, but now, apart from some care home fatalities, who was right?

Now the cold and sniffles season is upon us, I wonder what will happen?

Gin = alcohol = kills 99.9% of all known germs. Fingers crossed!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
No surprises mate, it's happening in Dorset every weekend at the moment. It's the stupidity that gets you, Police stopped a Mercedes with five women in it the other day, the driver wasn't insured, but one of her mates sat in the car was, they were doing 98 mph on the Puddletown by pass, they wanted to get to Durdle Door and were hungry.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Corona virus-Will Navy Net ever recover? Diamond Lil's 20
MoD_RSS Corona virus (COVID-19) - Updates and changes to services MoD News 0
fishhead Corona Virus and the RN Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Corona Virus outbreak: Flights from China MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Spending Review to fight virus, deliver promises and invest in UK’s recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary visits South Korea and Vietnam pledging to work together in virus fight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stronger measures brought in to tackle virus in Bolton MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Largest testing programme for coronavirus shows virus continued to decline in June MoD News 0
Stirlin McAfee virus protection. Bloody Computers 5
MoD_RSS £22 million awarded to life-saving health charities during virus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The United Kingdom announces two COVID-19 response services for eligible developing countries to help combat the impact of the virus on international MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: ‘It’s humanity against the virus’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government begins large-scale virus infection and antibody test study MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vaccine update: issue 302, November 2019, virus special edition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tick-borne encephalitis virus detected in ticks in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New legislation to prevent harmful rose virus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak: Update on UK Response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bluetongue virus detected and dealt with in cattle in Yorkshire MoD News 0
Ballistic Anti-virus software Bloody Computers 2
NotmeChief Got a Virus - damn Bloody Computers 2
(granny) computer virus's Current Affairs 2
Scouse_Castaway New PC- Best Anti Virus? Bloody Computers 42
Rumrat Virus alert Current Affairs 4
(granny) A computer virus. Bloody Computers 4
RN_Commando conficker virus Bloody Computers 18
babystew nasty virus Bloody Computers 16
Y NEW VIRUS Bloody Computers 35
Seaweed VIRUS WARNING RED Current Affairs 3
N Prevent Virus infection on your PC Diamond Lil's 2