Corona Virus

fishhead

War Hero
We heard a great deal about 4 weeks ago about how we'd be able to download an App onto our smartphones which would alert us if we'd been anywhere near a covid carrier. Firstly ,though, it would be trialed on south Island for a week or two to check out it works. Since then......nothing,bugger all in fact, not a dicky. My own theory is that @Wightsparker and his oppos have fucked it up big time and no-one wants to admit it

Wightsparker

War Hero
We heard a great deal about 4 weeks ago about how we'd be able to download an App onto our smartphones which would alert us if we'd been anywhere near a covid carrier. Firstly ,though, it would be trialed on south Island for a week or two to check out it works. Since then......nothing,bugger all in fact, not a dicky. My own theory is that @Wightsparker and his oppos have fucked it up big time and no-one wants to admit it
Yep, guilty as charged. Mrs Wightsparker has downloaded the app - it was quite straightforward - but my own ancient three-year-old Samsung didn't have the latest Android thingy. Mrs Wightsparker is grumbling that I should update my phone - dunno why, I can't see where to insert the crystals. And Morse has always been sufficient for my modest requirements.

Wightsparker

War Hero
- . - . . _ . _ . _ _ . . . _ . _ . _ . . . . . ?
I do like a challenge! But with the very best will, @huwshpis , that could mean lots of things unless you indicated the breaks between the letters just a bit more clearly. However, having tried various combinations, ( and having discarded N N R etc ) I got:

C R Y S T A L S which of course tied into my post #1228.

Ah! Crystals were used in transmitters to select specific frequencies ( my experience is many decades out of date, so I await potential correction)

Did you ever have experience of the transmitter/receiver system of the Murphy B41/B40, for example? They were big, chunky bits of kit but the transmitter did include the use of crystals.

Just for info, you could have included (in place of "?" ) the Morse for interrogative, which is: .._ _ ..

(I think l I may have posted this here before, but the mnemonic for this used to be: "I missed it". ( or IMI,
which = .._ _.. )

:)

Last edited:

Chris P

Lantern Swinger
Yep, guilty as charged. Mrs Wightsparker has downloaded the app - it was quite straightforward - but my own ancient three-year-old Samsung didn't have the latest Android thingy. Mrs Wightsparker is grumbling that I should update my phone - dunno why, I can't see where to insert the crystals. And Morse has always been sufficient for my modest requirements.
...and I was pissed off because I had to update my 10 yr old iphone!

huwshpis

War Hero
I do like a challenge! But with the very best will, @huwshpis , that could mean lots of things unless you indicated the breaks between the letters just a bit more clearly. However, having tried various combinations, ( and having discarded N N R etc ) I got:

C R Y S T A L S which of course tied into my post #1228.

Ah! Crystals were used in transmitters to select specific frequencies ( my experience is many decades out of date, so I await potential correction)

Did you ever have experience of the transmitter/receiver system of the Murphy B41/B40, for example? They were big, chunky bits of kit but the transmitter did include the use of crystals.

Just for info, you could have included (in place of "?" ) the Morse for interrogative, which is: .._ _ ..

(I think l I may have posted this here before, but the mnemonic for this used to be: "I missed it". ( or IMI, which = ..__.. )

:)
I do remember the B40/B41, worked on a combo at a Sea Cadet unit when I was at uni, changing from pinky to lawyer. Main problem - no crystals!

At sea, all modern, solid state stuff. Shore side pinkies couldn’t understand ships with DC power, and that was in 77! (Ton class)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
This quite a damning and worrying indictment. N332 is a Spanish site originally started by the Guardia Civil to help with traffic offences. It has expanded to cover all sorts of facets of legal stuff in Spain. They have been very good at promulgating the 'official' Covid figures daily. For them to now publish this is 'worrying'...... almost makes you wonder about ALL the other statistics from everywhere else.

Starting from today, N332 will no longer publish the government statistics regarding the number of deaths and infections of COVID-19 in Spain.

Since the statistics began to be published, the changes made by the government to carry out the accounting of the figures have been constant.
As of today, there is a gap of up to almost 4,000 less infected and 600 deaths less than a week ago.

At N332 we have always opted for the publication of truthful and correct information, but after seeing the latest statistics published by the Ministry of Health, we have lost confidence to such an extent that from today we will put the link where the daily statistics are published, and everyone will be able to freely access it, but we will not continue collaborating with these confusing reports.
Thank you for understanding.
N332

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
A STATEMENT FROM THE PRIME MINISTER

"Due to the constant pressure from the media, it has been agreed that Dominic Cummings will step down from his current role as special advisor to the government,with immediate effect. I would like to thank Mr Cummings for his hard work and loyal support over the past few months."

"I have today instructed the Cabinet Office to set in motion a committee to investigate and report on the way the BBC is funded and their neutrality in their reporting. This will be headed up by a member of the House of Lords who will have my full backing."

"In addition I am proud to announce that I have appointed a new member to the House of Lords. The appointment has been made with immediate effect and I would like to congratulate Mr Dominic Cummings, henceforth to be known as Lord Dominic of Durham. He will take the lead role in the investigation into the BBC with an additional responsibility to report back to Cabinet on the role of Sky TV."
"Lord Durham will take a leading role in the final weeks of the Trade Talks with the European Trade Negotiations."

'If Carlsberg wrote Breaking News.'

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Corona virus-Will Navy Net ever recover? Diamond Lil's 20
MoD_RSS Corona virus (COVID-19) - Updates and changes to services MoD News 0
fishhead Corona Virus and the RN Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Corona Virus outbreak: Flights from China MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £22 million awarded to life-saving health charities during virus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The United Kingdom announces two COVID-19 response services for eligible developing countries to help combat the impact of the virus on international MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: ‘It’s humanity against the virus’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government begins large-scale virus infection and antibody test study MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vaccine update: issue 302, November 2019, virus special edition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tick-borne encephalitis virus detected in ticks in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New legislation to prevent harmful rose virus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak: Update on UK Response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bluetongue virus detected and dealt with in cattle in Yorkshire MoD News 0
Ballistic Anti-virus software Bloody Computers 2
NotmeChief Got a Virus - damn Bloody Computers 2
(granny) computer virus's Current Affairs 2
Scouse_Castaway New PC- Best Anti Virus? Bloody Computers 42
Rumrat Virus alert Current Affairs 4
(granny) A computer virus. Bloody Computers 4
RN_Commando conficker virus Bloody Computers 18
babystew nasty virus Bloody Computers 16
Y NEW VIRUS Bloody Computers 35
Seaweed VIRUS WARNING RED Current Affairs 3
N Prevent Virus infection on your PC Diamond Lil's 2