Corona Virus

Taztiff

War Hero
Other way for me, I think, not been out for 3 weeks, been to ill to work from home, and tomorrow they are going to tell those who are being furloughed, company well rich enough, but will go to high value out put only, letting the tax payers pick up the 80%, this will help maintain the yanks overall profit? Or am I just cynical?
Our company is still in production on the Hull site but all non-directs (non production personnel) are working from home. Doesn't really make a lot of difference to what I'm doing, for example I'm on a call with with our factory in Costa Rica this afternoon - that would be remote anyway.

A load of the 'remote' workers are going in to aid production of the ventilators as the normal operatives are going to be required manufacturing our normal range which is in greater need by the NHS during this time. Think IV Ported dressings, soft foam dressings, Negative Pressure Wound Therapy kits and the like.

At no point in all our communications from Head Office has 'furlough' been mentioned.

taffscrivs

War Hero
Just been watching the lunchtime news and there was a feature showing a nurse arriving home from work, hugging and kissing her kids whilst still wearing her uniform. I'd be the last to criticise our wonderful NHS staff but surely being allowed to wear your working clothes outside the hospital is bad policy?
I know most hospital laundry services are now contracted out which to me is lunacy even if the bean counters say it's cheaper, but surely medical staff should change into 'civvies' before leaving the hospital?

mainbrace

Lantern Swinger
After 2 weeks working from home and not really enjoying it, back in work tomorrow, on shifts, building ventilators.

Our facilities teams, New Product Design teams, labs, manufacturing groups and others have pulled out all the stops in assisting Oxford Uni and Kings College to get this to a 'design for manufacture' product.

Don't know what I'm doing yet - possibly electrical QC or some such. Or maybe even handling a screwdriver!!
Should be interesting. Apart from the shifts thing - its been a while!!
You'll be OK if you don't forget that V = I x R. Handling a long black could be dangerous though if you've become deskilled!

mainbrace

Lantern Swinger
Just been watching the lunchtime news and there was a feature showing a nurse arriving home from work, hugging and kissing her kids whilst still wearing her uniform. I'd be the last to criticise our wonderful NHS staff but surely being allowed to wear your working clothes outside the hospital is bad policy?
I know most hospital laundry services are now contracted out which to me is lunacy even if the bean counters say it's cheaper, but surely medical staff should change into 'civvies' before leaving the hospital?
I've seen it recently that many hospitals have a policy of not traveling to work in uniform / part uniform. I don't think the policy was made on the grounds of transferring the virus; more to do with security. Apparently, several NHS staff have had hassle in different parts of the country from dickheads.
I didn't see the article referred to by Taff, but we should remember that the majority of hospital staff are still doing their normal jobs and are not directly engaged with C-19 patients.

mainbrace

Lantern Swinger
BUPA? Just thinking...........

I wonder what the chances are that Boris might have private medical insurance (BUPA etc)? If he has, then in his current position he could never declare it (or use it ) because it would send entirely the wrong message to us plebs. I'm sure that, like everyone else in NHS intensive care, he is getting the very best of treatment in any event.

I don't half miss my local - we would have kicked this one around for a good while.

Taztiff

War Hero
The company I work for has just asked for Techs to go to a medical equipment factory in Luton to help build ventilators.
It looks like there is a fair amount of work being done by different partnerships dependent on the requirement.
Dyson, Formula 1 etc. are trying high end stuff, they are going to have to do lots of testing to meet the regulatory requirements.

We are doing a fairly simple but quick to market system (there are different types of ventilator) - clinical trials took place over the weekend in Birmingham hospital.
Should get MHRA approval today. That is unknown of in our industry, its normally at the very least a year and that does not count design etc. - I think Oxford Uni started on this mid-March?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Well, I've been a bit of a silly Billy * and have had to visit our local 'A&E' who then sent me on to the nearest hospital.

The guy that did triage in the hospital was wearing a full 'Tyveck' disposable paper suit, then a blue plastic suit, long rubber gloves a face-mask and a helmet/visor thing. And Crocs.

I don't think he'll be going home and cuddling his kids wearing that lot!

* Thanks for asking. Breeze-block and big toe interface incident. At this time BB 1 - BT 0. Broken big toe with runny stuff. Got stopped at 3 Guardia / Police checkpoints.

Wightsparker

War Hero
Well, I've been a bit of a silly Billy * and have had to visit our local 'A&E' who then sent me on to the nearest hospital.

The guy that did triage in the hospital was wearing a full 'Tyveck' disposable paper suit, then a blue plastic suit, long rubber gloves a face-mask and a helmet/visor thing. And Crocs.

* Thanks for asking. Breeze-block and big toe interface incident. At this time BB 1 - BT 0. Broken big toe with runny stuff. Got stopped at 3 Guardia / Police checkpoints.
Ouch. Sorry to hear.

taffscrivs

War Hero
I've seen it recently that many hospitals have a policy of not traveling to work in uniform / part uniform. I don't think the policy was made on the grounds of transferring the virus; more to do with security. Apparently, several NHS staff have had hassle in different parts of the country from *********.
I didn't see the article referred to by Taff, but we should remember that the majority of hospital staff are still doing their normal jobs and are not directly engaged with C-19 patients.
I see your point M-B. but apparently there have been cases of people visiting hospital A+E's and some other departments and contracting The dreaded virus from there. Whether this is true or not, surely it is better to instruct all staff to change clothes before leaving the hospital?

Sumo

War Hero

There were warnings about DIY and A&E?

huwshpis

War Hero

Sorry to hear that, S-B, hope your toe is strapped up for a quick recovery. I hope Mrs S-B isn't too disappointed.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I'd post a picture, but I don't want to put you off your brekky! No strapping - last time I broke it - same toe (!) it had a pin in. Thankfully I can still drive as SWMBO can't. Hey ho.

Funny thing is I was using the block to sit on while I was doing a bit of weeding and clipping - needed to move along, picked it up and bosh! Back to the IKEA plastic stool after this!

Sumo

War Hero
I'd post a picture, but I don't want to put you off your brekky! No strapping - last time I broke it - same toe (!) it had a pin in. Thankfully I can still drive as SWMBO can't. Hey ho.

Funny thing is I was using the block to sit on while I was doing a bit of weeding and clipping - needed to move along, picked it up and bosh! Back to the IKEA plastic stool after this!
Get someone else to do weeding?

Bring on Percy Thrower....teach you how to garden without inflicting bodily harm on yourselves in the process....:) :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NavyStuff2020 Passed the virtual AIB during corona virus pandemic with competitive score (Early May) Joining the Royal Navy 21
D Corona virus-Will Navy Net ever recover? Diamond Lil's 20
MoD_RSS Corona virus (COVID-19) - Updates and changes to services MoD News 0
fishhead Corona Virus and the RN Joining the Royal Navy 22
MoD_RSS Corona Virus outbreak: Flights from China MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £22 million awarded to life-saving health charities during virus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The United Kingdom announces two COVID-19 response services for eligible developing countries to help combat the impact of the virus on international MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: ‘It’s humanity against the virus’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government begins large-scale virus infection and antibody test study MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vaccine update: issue 302, November 2019, virus special edition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tick-borne encephalitis virus detected in ticks in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New legislation to prevent harmful rose virus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak: Update on UK Response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bluetongue virus detected and dealt with in cattle in Yorkshire MoD News 0
Ballistic Anti-virus software Bloody Computers 2
NotmeChief Got a Virus - damn Bloody Computers 2
(granny) computer virus's Current Affairs 2
Scouse_Castaway New PC- Best Anti Virus? Bloody Computers 42
Rumrat Virus alert Current Affairs 4
(granny) A computer virus. Bloody Computers 4
RN_Commando conficker virus Bloody Computers 18
babystew nasty virus Bloody Computers 16
Y NEW VIRUS Bloody Computers 35
Seaweed VIRUS WARNING RED Current Affairs 3
N Prevent Virus infection on your PC Diamond Lil's 2

Latest Threads