Corona Virus

Taztiff

War Hero
Quote by said 'Chief' - 'My service record is unblemished and I have every other vaccine I am required to take by the Royal Navy.'

‘But I am worried about this vaccine hence I have not received it. It could make me seriously ill.'

Reminds me of the news that the Argies invaded the Falklands. There were matelots who said - 'War? I didn't sign up for that!'

Sumo

War Hero
Quote by said 'Chief' - 'My service record is unblemished and I have every other vaccine I am required to take by the Royal Navy.'

‘But I am worried about this vaccine hence I have not received it. It could make me seriously ill.'

Reminds me of the news that the Argies invaded the Falklands. There were matelots who said - 'War? I didn't sign up for that!'
Didn't know I was, I joined to travel and see the world, still went down south.

Captain Darling

Midshipman
Also, the Chief who has 'paid into his pension for years', when did it become a contributary pension...?
Yeah, technically it is a non-contributory pension and if you opt out you don’t get paid anymore, but the AFPRB take into account the value of the pension when recommending (and often being ignored) pay - at least they did in 2013 when I last paid some attention to it. Therefore - although he hasn’t paid into it, his take home pay was effectively reduced/abated because of the value of his pension when they compared him to some civvies. I’m sure the chap who is the pensions expert could confirm.

In any event he should get jabbed and stop dripping.

Chris P

War Hero
I note in the articule it asked if the Army and Air Force would also resort to more draconian measures - what a crock of sh1t, duty of care !!

As for the Chief saying he was worried it might make him sick, how many good runs ashore did he have were he didn't bother about 'getting sick' or catching the boat up? :rolleyes:

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Interesting comment here:

‘My service record is unblemished and I have every other vaccine I am required to take by the Royal Navy.

‘But I am worried about this vaccine hence I have not received it. It could make me seriously ill.

Any vaccine can make you seriously ill. Indeed, any form of medication can make you seriously ill. Certain types of operation can kill you. So what is supposedly different in this one from all the other vaccines he/she happily (or simply unquestioningly) received?

Stats suggest that getting the thing it is attempting to give you immunity against is far, far more likely to result in serious illness or death than in not getting it. Or in this case, getting it but not having the same probability of serious outcome. But there is still a chance that the vaccine may result in poor health. I have yet to hear of anyone who has died of getting a vaccine though. I have heard of plenty who have died with COVID.

It is a case of 1 in thousands as opposed to one in millions. And of course, there is the argument that getting it may not kill me - but it is likely to kill someone I know who got it because of me.

Same old arguments going around and around and around though. This kind of issue was inevitable once they stopped thinking you had joined an armed force and were now to be regarded as employees in a job.

Sumo

War Hero
Interesting comment here:

Any vaccine can make you seriously ill. Indeed, any form of medication can make you seriously ill. Certain types of operation can kill you. So what is supposedly different in this one from all the other vaccines he/she happily (or simply unquestioningly) received?

Stats suggest that getting the thing it is attempting to give you immunity against is far, far more likely to result in serious illness or death than in not getting it. Or in this case, getting it but not having the same probability of serious outcome. But there is still a chance that the vaccine may result in poor health. I have yet to hear of anyone who has died of getting a vaccine though. I have heard of plenty who have died with COVID.

It is a case of 1 in thousands as opposed to one in millions. And of course, there is the argument that getting it may not kill me - but it is likely to kill someone I know who got it because of me.

Same old arguments going around and around and around though. This kind of issue was inevitable once they stopped thinking you had joined an armed force and were now to be regarded as employees in a job.
There was the cases of some of the young having issues with dying after the AZ vaccine, hence they stopped giving it to the younger generations. Research since then has found that it was the application of the injection with the AZ that was causing issues. The vaccine needed to go into muscle tissue, on the occasions it went wrong, they believe a blood vessel was nick and it went straight into the blood.