Corona Virus

fishhead

War Hero
Is anyone offering any odds on a partial unlocking? The Delta variant which is causing havoc particularly among our North Western chums is absent from large swathes of the country much the same as happened in earlier waves. Although reported cases are rising is it because the lurgy is increasing or because we are looking harder to detect it in the worst hit areas?
We all have a responsibility to look after ourselves and after two lengthy lockdowns we know how to do it. If the pubs open fully we do not have to go. If thousands can go to watch a football/cricket match or a theatre production we do not have to go. If we don't feel safe stop at home/work from home if possible keep off public transport.
It is Delta today causing the trouble but Theta and Omega and all the others in between are waiting in the wings so when if ever will we unlock if we don't do it now. Let everyone at risk take charge of their own destiny and leave all the others to get on with life.

I wonder about the logic of delaying freedom day. Every day approximately 450 people die of cancer, typically 20k plus of influenza per year yet here we are, less than 20 per day and the powers that be want to keep us under the cosh for another month or so. It makes no sense when we have been told repeatedly and loudly that vaccines will break the cycle. The majority eligible for the vaccine have taken up the offer thereby removing the threat to a large extent.

How many more variants are going to come through the UK as covid mutates, which all flu bugs do? We cannot keep the country locked down in perpetuity, We simply cannot afford it.

So for me, its a yes, get the country opened up. If someone needs shielding give them protection both physically and in law from being exposed to it. If someone chooses not to vaccinate, well thats up to them.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm with MCC on this one, it's time to open up, those that need to isolate can still do so, those that have chosen to not have the vax take their chances. The economy cannot hold up much longer as is, get those that are staying away from work back into work and get things moving again.

Sumo

War Hero
I am happy working from home full time, if they open up or not will probably not have an effect, on me. But with all the crap Boris has been getting, if most of the science bods say wait a few weeks, he may be on an hidding, if he ignores them and it goes pear shaped.

Jacobus

War Hero
I wonder about the logic of delaying freedom day. Every day approximately 450 people die of cancer, typically 20k plus of influenza per year yet here we are, less than 20 per day and the powers that be want to keep us under the cosh for another month or so. It makes no sense when we have been told repeatedly and loudly that vaccines will break the cycle. The majority eligible for the vaccine have taken up the offer thereby removing the threat to a large extent.

How many more variants are going to come through the UK as covid mutates, which all flu bugs do? We cannot keep the country locked down in perpetuity, We simply cannot afford it.

So for me, its a yes, get the country opened up. If someone needs shielding give them protection both physically and in law from being exposed to it. If someone chooses not to vaccinate, well thats up to them.
There you go again. Trying to bring logic to the discussion.

Latest Threads