Corona virus-Will Navy Net ever recover?

D

Deleted 59428

Rum Ration was a great success at first.
All sorts of ex pussers products of all ranks vented their spleens together with a great appreciation of the fine service they had been privileged to serve in.
What on earth has happened to it?
The Royal Navy was once an Armed Force. Respected and saluted by all.
For my part I am in despair at what has become of it.
With the defending of those currently applying to join who should be rejected without reservation it will only get worse.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Well disappear then.

In fact I'll amplify my comment.

A few years ago, possibly before you joined, the joining up threads were a rich source of abuse of genuine recruiting enquiries, the moderators at the time decided enough was enough and new rules were brought in to keep those threads abuse free, after all this is an open site and anyone on the planet can read everything that's posted, which includes families who may be upset by responses (and possible legal action) through to journalists looking for something to write about on a slow news day.

If this causes you a sense of despair than I would suggest that you focus you're efforts to improving the site, you have made some good contributions, but if you think abusing potential recruits somehow reduces the RN's standing in public eyes then I would suggest you look again, I would say it does exactly the opposite.

And what has it got to do with Coronavirus??

Last edited:
D

Deleted 59428

Well disappear then.

A few years ago, possibly before you joined, the joining up threads were a rich source of abuse of genuine recruiting enquiries, the moderators at the time decided enough was enough and new rules were brought in to keep those threads abuse free, after all this is an open site and anyone on the planet can read everything that's posted, which includes families who may be upset by responses (and possible legal action) through to journalists looking for something to write about on a slow news day.

If this causes you a sense of despair than I would suggest that you focus you're efforts to improving the site, you have made some good contributions, but if you think abusing potential recruits somehow reduces the RN's standing in public eyes then I would suggest you look again, I would say it does exactly the opposite.

It's topical

D

Deleted 59428

Well disappear then.

Abusing potential recruits?
What on earth are you on about?
And --For the Avoidance of doubt-I did join before you. But self-inflated Moderators have failed, over time, to suppress Fair Comment. by substituting Inappropriate Comment to suit their egos.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Can comment be amplified?
Talking to yourself again
Abusing potential recruits?
What on earth are you on about?
And --For the Avoidance of doubt-I did join before you. But self-inflated Moderators have failed, over time, to suppress Fair Comment. by substituting Inappropriate Comment to suit their egos.
I'll ignore the self-inflated comment if it's directed towards me, but fair comments, as has been said before, are welcome, inappropriate ones aren't.

Offering your opinion of recruits suitability is the abuse I'm on about. As you joined in the 50's I'm sure the recruiting offices just took anyone, or were you a National Serviceman?

You have quoted dictionary's in other posts, try using one for the meanings of "fair" and "inappropriate"

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
@ratsroden

What complete tosh. It is obvious that you have a single agenda and you bang that drum every opportunity you get. It is tiresome. And not unlike another (in)famous poster who has droned on and on and on and on until they got hoofed for repeated site violations, despite multiple reminders about what is acceptable and not acceptable behaviours. Only to resurrect themselves in a new guise (which soon gets spotted by the old salts).

What you fail to take into consideration is this:

1] The face of society has changed irrevocably since you and I were first in uniform

2] The armed forces of the UK are under-manned - so the idea that it is just accepting recruits that should not be applying in the first place is farcical

3] Some of these potential recruits are making tentative first approaches using an UNOFFICIAL channel - the only real test (as they are often advised) is to make a formal application and see how it goes. They don't need PSOF pissing on their chips.

4] Like the Other Side, there are areas in this site where crayoning by the bitter and twisted or just plain maleavolent are actively moderated - so if you think that is aggressive or a power trip then so be it.

5] If you have nothing positive to add to the debate in the Recruitment area then keep your thoughts to yourself.

6] You can voice whatever you like here in Lils or the barge. As evidenced by having this ludicrous conversation with you just now. Anyone can see it and anyone can see what you have to contribute. Free-fire zone. As long as it is within the overall site guidelines you are good to go.

7] The site is a lot less busy than it may have been - for a variety of reasons not least of which is that the younger generation tend not to use such sites anymore but hey ho, don't let that get in the way of your blinkered views and prejudice. That doesn't mean it has lost it's value for those who do use it. And don't forget - just because people do not post often does not mean they are not lurking.

8] Moderators are volunteers and regular site users. It benefits no-one to be heavy handed or conversely too lenient especially when site rules are clearly being violated as a provocation. It is a balance, and we will not always get it right but if you have a particular grievance then you can a] PM any of us direct to discuss, b] report us to the site owners or, c] have a go at moderating yourself.

Tell me honestly though - is this not really about how your sock got ID'd and shot down fairly promptly? Would you like me to get your blankie for you?

D

Deleted 59428

Talking to yourself again

I'll ignore the self-inflated comment if it's directed towards me, but fair comments, as has been said before, are welcome, inappropriate ones aren't.

Offering your opinion of recruits suitability is the abuse I'm on about. As you joined in the 50's I'm sure the recruiting offices just took anyone, or were you a National Serviceman?

You have quoted dictionary's in other posts, try using one for the meanings of "fair" and "inappropriate"
If you are unaware of the differences between fair and inappropriate -- so be it.
I actually joined in the 1940.s
Identity cards and ration books were required to be handed in on joining.
You would be well advised not to proceed along these lines.
You are out of your depth.

D

Deleted 59428

@ratsroden

What complete tosh. It is obvious that you have a single agenda and you bang that drum every opportunity you get. It is tiresome. And not unlike another (in)famous poster who has droned on and on and on and on until they got hoofed for repeated site violations, despite multiple reminders about what is acceptable and not acceptable behaviours. Only to resurrect themselves in a new guise (which soon gets spotted by the old salts).

What you fail to take into consideration is this:

1] The face of society has changed irrevocably since you and I were first in uniform

2] The armed forces of the UK are under-manned - so the idea that it is just accepting recruits that should not be applying in the first place is farcical

3] Some of these potential recruits are making tentative first approaches using an UNOFFICIAL channel - the only real test (as they are often advised) is to make a formal application and see how it goes. They don't need PSOF pissing on their chips.

4] Like the Other Side, there are areas in this site where crayoning by the bitter and twisted or just plain maleavolent are actively moderated - so if you think that is aggressive or a power trip then so be it.

5] If you have nothing positive to add to the debate in the Recruitment area then keep your thoughts to yourself.

6] You can voice whatever you like here in Lils or the barge. As evidenced by having this ludicrous conversation with you just now. Anyone can see it and anyone can see what you have to contribute. Free-fire zone. As long as it is within the overall site guidelines you are good to go.

7] The site is a lot less busy than it may have been - for a variety of reasons not least of which is that the younger generation tend not to use such sites anymore but hey ho, don't let that get in the way of your blinkered views and prejudice. That doesn't mean it has lost it's value for those who do use it. And don;t forget - just because people do not post often does not mean they are not lurking.

8] Moderators are volunteers and regular site users. It benefits no-one to be heavy handed or conversely too lenient especially when site rules are clearly being violated as a provocation. It is a balance, and we will not always get it right but if you have a particular grievance then to you a] PM any of us direct to discuss, b] report us to the site owners or, c] have a go at moderating yourself.

Tell me honestly though - is this not really about how your sock got ID'd and shot down fairly promptly? Would you like me to get your blankie for you?
Piffle!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
1) If you are unaware of the differences between fair and inappropriate -- so be it.
2) I actually joined in the 1940.s
3) Identity cards and ration books were required to be handed in on joining.
4) You would be well advised not to proceed along these lines.
5) You are out of your depth.
1) I'm aware, you, evidently, are not
2) So National Service
3) Totally irrelevant to anything
4) Why, are you going to say some rude words? I don't think you have the intellectual capacity to make good any threats.
5) I was a submariner, never out of my depth.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
It should be easy to spot:
During the war...
When I was stood over......
You youngsters today........
When the RN was.......
He has many tells like socks.

Sunday afternoons and a few sherry’s.
The wife and some name dropping that they met at a party.
Ignore what was posted by someone in reply to you, and then ramble on about various subjects which have no connection to anything posted previously on the thread.

Sumo

War Hero
Kin hell joined in 40's, hope your care home is looking after you and giving you your regular meds.
40's did you stay long.

An unexpected, unannounced and unwelcome side effect of COVID - 19 Lockdown is a tendency to allow the quiet small voices of reason & logic to be shouted down & overwhelmed by the much louder irrational, irreverent, irrelevant & irritating bully boys.

So BZ to the Supermods - Crack on!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Corona virus (COVID-19) - Updates and changes to services MoD News 0
fishhead Corona Virus and the RN Joining the Royal Navy 19
SONAR-BENDER Corona Virus Diamond Lil's 1390
MoD_RSS Corona Virus outbreak: Flights from China MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £22 million awarded to life-saving health charities during virus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The United Kingdom announces two COVID-19 response services for eligible developing countries to help combat the impact of the virus on international MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: ‘It’s humanity against the virus’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government begins large-scale virus infection and antibody test study MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vaccine update: issue 302, November 2019, virus special edition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tick-borne encephalitis virus detected in ticks in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New legislation to prevent harmful rose virus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak: Update on UK Response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bluetongue virus detected and dealt with in cattle in Yorkshire MoD News 0
Ballistic Anti-virus software Bloody Computers 2
NotmeChief Got a Virus - damn Bloody Computers 2
(granny) computer virus's Current Affairs 2
Scouse_Castaway New PC- Best Anti Virus? Bloody Computers 42
Rumrat Virus alert Current Affairs 4
(granny) A computer virus. Bloody Computers 4
RN_Commando conficker virus Bloody Computers 18
babystew nasty virus Bloody Computers 16
Y NEW VIRUS Bloody Computers 35
Seaweed VIRUS WARNING RED Current Affairs 3
N Prevent Virus infection on your PC Diamond Lil's 2
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
higthepig Navy news June 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
D Navy as a last resort option Joining the Royal Navy 61
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 26
soleil FB: "Sea King XV666 ‘Damien’ Visits The Navy Wings Heritage Hangar On The 50th Anniversary Of The First Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 56
Z Royal Navy triage call Submariners 5
H I want to join the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
J Can I join the Navy if I was previously on Anti-Depressants? Joining the Royal Navy 51
MoD_RSS Royal Navy joins NATO allies on major maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea region MoD News 0
higthepig Navy news May 2020 The Quarterdeck 1
S US Navy leadership culture International 4
B Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Sun: "Royal Navy Submarine Crews Face 14-day Quarantine To Prevent Coronavirus Outbreak" Submariners 7
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil YT: Royal Navy - An Interview With F-35 Pilot Lt Cdr Stephen Collins, Call Sign Lothar The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil VE Day 75 - A Royal Navy Retrospective The Fleet 0
H Navy or RAF Nursing? Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Warships To Blast Sirens And Light The Sky As Portsmouth Marks VE Day" The Fleet 9
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Royal Navy To Pay Faslane Tribute On VE Day 75th Anniversary" Bases / Shore Est 7
S Merchant Navy to RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3