Corona Virus and the RN

fishhead

War Hero
Firstly I'm not looking to join nor do I know anyone who is but the question is will the ongoing pandemic affect the normal routine for joining? Given the recruits will be required to travel from all parts of the UK to Raleigh or BRNC and muster is it a good idea to maintain the recruitment intakes?
Is there an official policy other than that for recruits coming from overseas?

Whitworth

I'm currently in the joining process with only my PRNC to go and have been given my dates. Nothing has yet been said about it being postponed or anything. They are still sending information on travelling there etc.

Paxman_Valenta

Badgeman
Firstly I'm not looking to join nor do I know anyone who is but the question is will the ongoing pandemic affect the normal routine for joining? Given the recruits will be required to travel from all parts of the UK to Raleigh or BRNC and muster is it a good idea to maintain the recruitment intakes?
Is there an official policy other than that for recruits coming from overseas?
A few casual observations about where I am. Training is still going ahead, the gym is open and the base hasn't closed. Furthermore, there is no indication that it will, and we were all told recently that unless you have symptoms (in which case you are to self-isolate in accordance with government advice) you are to report to work as normal.

First Post.
I am currently at the very early stages of my application into the Royal navy. I had my recruitment test booking in for Thursday evening. Which has now been cancelled due to the virus. I have been informed that they will contact me in due course with information about how they are going to proceed. As they still would like to move applications forward.
This furthers my concerns not for myself but for any individual(s) that are going to attend a PRNC, PRMC or start basic training at either Raleigh or Lympstone. I fear this will unfortunately be stopped and all applications will now be on a hold.
It's disappointing for myself with my news but for those that much closer I really do feel for you.

fishhead

War Hero
It is entirely understandable that the RN would not like to invite new trainees who may unknowingly bring the virus with them. Apart from leave periods the the training establishment are effectively in lock down so those that are already are probably OK.
I will now introduce a new question to which there is probably no answer available currently. Will the Easter leave periods go ahead given the those on leave will have to mix with the public at large and that public transport may be difficult?

I am under the same impression as yourself fishhead. Training will resume as normal for those currently in Raleigh. However I imagine all future intake is being suspended. Didn't know if anybody has had any information on the case?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Raleigh Easter leave is going ahead but what happens after I have no idea. There was an entry of recruits this week though.

Jp0901

Midshipman
When’s you
I'm currently in the joining process with only my PRNC to go and have been given my dates. Nothing has yet been said about it being postponed or anything. They are still sending information on travelling there etc.
when is your start date? I’ve only got my prnc to go but have not got a date yet

Paxman_Valenta

Badgeman
Raleigh Easter leave is going ahead but what happens after I have no idea. There was an entry of recruits this week though.
All systems go at the training establishment where I am. No lockdown, no restrictions and still admitting trainees. The railway apprentices are still here and everything is still open (apart from the sports bar). 2SL communicated a personal yesterday/this morning which basically says wait out and carry on. However, those with underlying health conditions (asthma etc) are working from home where they can and the rest are on leave.

Frcklfarm

Offspring is joining Raleigh next week. The base called to check if he had been in contact with anyone displaying symptoms or known to have covid-19. Just hoping there will be a train to get him there!

Thankfully after leaving a message with my careers officer on Friday (for those also waiting give them a call - seem keen - said that they like that kinda of attitude) he got back to me today and with my GCSE results (12 years ago) I was successful for the role I applied for. A big relief as I heard MA needed a high score to pass.
So in regard to further steps with the current restrictions in place.
1. Upload proof of GCSE results.
2. Capita medical questionnaire followed by triage call.
3. Interview (what's app video call or face to face depending on restrictions at time)
4. Eye test (to be completed at somepoint before entry)
5. Medical assessment (same applies)
6. PJFT (same applies)
7. PRNC (same applies)
8. Raleigh (same applies)

Eye test I understand could take place at any time before I start Raleigh. Don't know if that is the same for the physical medical assessment.

Wiggy99

I only have my PRNC to go and had a message saying it’s been postponed.

I have a Raleigh date a couple of months away but I suppose it depends how things go with the world. Any one else heard anything about their upcoming PRNC ?

Thankfully after leaving a message with my careers officer on Friday (for those also waiting give them a call - seem keen - said that they like that kinda of attitude) he got back to me today and with my GCSE results (12 years ago) I was successful for the role I applied for. A big relief as I heard MA needed a high score to pass.
So in regard to further steps with the current restrictions in place.
1. Upload proof of GCSE results.
2. Capita medical questionnaire followed by triage call.
3. Interview (what's app video call or face to face depending on restrictions at time)
4. Eye test (to be completed at somepoint before entry)
5. Medical assessment (same applies)
6. PJFT (same applies)
7. PRNC (same applies)
8. Raleigh (same applies)

Eye test I understand could take place at any time before I start Raleigh. Don't know if that is the same for the physical medical assessment.
Ermm - Not listed but what about that small matter of SC = Securityy Clearance?

Hard to believe that there will ever be a free gangway through that particular hoop.

JamesC200

Midshipman
My PRNC is meant to be at mod caladonia in may like you and I’ve checked my portal and it say it’s not postponed so I don’t know what’s happening with that. When do you go to Raleigh?

Wiggy99

Hm, strange.

I guess we'll just find out, maybe it's still going ahead for some or they're just taking their time getting round to everyone. I was kind of expecting it due to recent events, can't imagine they'd allow people to travel from all over the country with this social distancing in place, to be on a 4 day course and then to travel back to various families. Plus travel arrangements are going to be tricky for a lot of people I would have thought.

I wonder if anyone is due to do it really soon (this month) and whether anything has changed for them?

Maybe they will try rearrange before I go to Raleigh (July). What about you?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NavyStuff2020 Passed the virtual AIB during corona virus pandemic with competitive score (Early May) Joining the Royal Navy 23
D Corona virus-Will Navy Net ever recover? Diamond Lil's 20
MoD_RSS Corona virus (COVID-19) - Updates and changes to services MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Corona Virus Diamond Lil's 1284
MoD_RSS Corona Virus outbreak: Flights from China MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £22 million awarded to life-saving health charities during virus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The United Kingdom announces two COVID-19 response services for eligible developing countries to help combat the impact of the virus on international MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: ‘It’s humanity against the virus’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government begins large-scale virus infection and antibody test study MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vaccine update: issue 302, November 2019, virus special edition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tick-borne encephalitis virus detected in ticks in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New legislation to prevent harmful rose virus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak: Update on UK Response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bluetongue virus detected and dealt with in cattle in Yorkshire MoD News 0
Ballistic Anti-virus software Bloody Computers 2
NotmeChief Got a Virus - damn Bloody Computers 2
(granny) computer virus's Current Affairs 2
Scouse_Castaway New PC- Best Anti Virus? Bloody Computers 42
Rumrat Virus alert Current Affairs 4
(granny) A computer virus. Bloody Computers 4
RN_Commando conficker virus Bloody Computers 18
babystew nasty virus Bloody Computers 16
Y NEW VIRUS Bloody Computers 35
Seaweed VIRUS WARNING RED Current Affairs 3
N Prevent Virus infection on your PC Diamond Lil's 2

Latest Threads