"Corner Cutting Mobheads"

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by DiveX, Oct 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, as you can see im new here, not sure if ive posted this subject in the right place...

Hoping to apply for the RN as a warefare officer, been doing more training and expanding my knowledge of the navy, however I have a friend who joined as a rating and has just passed his phase 2 on training.
    Ive recently been asking him questions etc and hes saying that the Nvy are royaly (Truley) skint and theres little chance of doing stuff like going out on RIBs etc.
    He saying that many members of his group have already left and now him and some others are looking into the RAF as they think it will be much more rewarding. He claims that if i joined up, I would realise that the navy is full of "Corner Cutting Mobheads". Not sure what to belive...

Is this true ? I thought it was all three of the forces that are getting budgets cut ?

Is it only ratings that feel this way ? would joining as an officer be much better ?

Any views would be appreciated.

2. Newbies babe-- let uncle Ninja help you out!!

oh and welcome by the way,.. BH xxx

3. Why on earth is a Pt 2 worried about Navy finances??
    You join up as Officer or Rating you do as your told you get a wage packet each month.Yes everyone in the military moans about cuts but that will always be the case. Each service ic completely different and operate in different ways the grass always looks greener on the iother side.
    The Navy is what you make it. If you feel that you are not getting much trainng in a RIB then turn up at your local Royal Navy sailing centre and book yourself a RIB for the weekend and you can make up your own operations.

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

catwalk wrote
    Indeed. However they have a right to be concerned that there may not be enough in the pot to keep them on after training.

Divex, I'll put this in Newbies.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello, welcome to RR, if I haven't greeted you already elsewhere.

All 3 arms of the forces are continually facing cut backs, so there's nothing new in that story. Often warships have limited fuel budget allowances, but I've never heard of a RIB having been restricted/restrained apart from maybe one in Iran once. I think there maybe a little bit of "Never let the truth get in the way of a good dit" (He's telling porkies).

Generally Ratings are more apt to publicly complain about financial restraints & the world in general, however I'm sure officers feel likewise at times. I'm not sure joining as an officer would make you any more eligible for a ride in a RIB than the next person- mind you, you could always pull rank if you were that eager I s'pose.

PS: Gee, thanks Seadog.

6. Many thanks Ninja

Yea, I agree with the idea of you get back what you put in and you think of it as you make it etc.

As for the "RIB" I was only using this as an example. I'm kinda getting the idea that mybe he either canny handle the navy lifestyle or that he can't realy be arsed.

Thanks again.

7. True occifer material You got it in one

Jack McH