Core Meals

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Tall_bloke, Jul 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me what the core meal allowance is? Think it's in the region of £3.70 per day. :pukel:

2. FOOD CHARGES

25. THE REVIEW BODY HAS ENDORSED THE MOVE TO A SINGLE DAILY FOOD CHARGE AND HAVE RECOMMENDED THAT THE FOOD CHARGE SHOULD INCREASE TO 3 POUNDS AND 89 PENCE FROM 1 APRIL 2008. THIS MOVE BRINGS TOGETHER THE DAILY FOOD CHARGE AND THE CORE MENU CHARGE UNDER PAY AS YOU DINE - PAYD

That was taken off the last pay review in 2008.

Hope that is what you needed.

Regards

Neil - Supermario

:nemo:

3. Top Banana, matey. That's exactly what I needed.
    JPA here we come!

4. Tall_Goat: Wouldn't that mean you'd have to do the odd bit of training,the odd MERWEX .....or are you planning on claiming for your RFA meals at Collingwood?

5. Well slap my thighs, as it happens I've just got back from a two week stint at Collingrad - SO FIDDLESTICKS TO YOU!

6. I was under the impression you couldn't claim for PAYD meals?
    If I'm wrong, has anyone got the reference?

7. Must admit I'm a bit confused by Tall bloke's excitement here.

As pointed out, PAYD is a charge, not an allowance.

If you are absent on duty from a unit where food charges are made through your pay you can claim Missed Meal Payments as you have been charged for something you didn't have. If you are serving at a PAYD unit you have not been charged for food so obviously cannot claim it back.

Or have I misunderstood the point here?

8. Correct.
    Claim £5/day incidentals to cover the cost.
    You can't claim PAYD as such.
    I don't have the reference to hand but I could dig it out from an email our POWtr sent on this subject if you are keen to know.

9. Yep, that's how I understood it.

10. Exactly what reference are you looking for? IE has nothing to do with meals and may only be claimed for overnight absences. If your POWTR is saying differently he is wrong.

11. You are correct here. IE has nothing to do with your meal allowance. It is a seperate amount you can claim for. I belive it is to allow you pay for such things as beverages (non alcoholic :coffee: ) for the day.

12. I stand corrected. I have just returned from a two week course, and was advised by afew people that if the course was longer than 10 days long you could claim your PAYD core meals back. However the UPO at my unit last night told me different.
    I take the point, and I know this has been covered at length before on other threads, but it does irk me that we used to get free meals when on courses, but now we have to pay for them.
    Rant over! :afro:

13. Which is technically fraudulent. Whilst I'd personally say that the sums involved probably don't justify the cost of audit I am aware that Fleet N4 loggies take quite an obsessive view of audit (damn the expense...)

IE is intended to cover things like newpaper, phone call etc and as far as I can remember should still be receipted as far as possible. There is a caveat that low value receipts need not be sought; said newspaper for example.

fwiw I'd only accept that if your PSI can point to an official reference. s/he may be taking a reasonably flexible view of the audit requirements, but it's the CO that's left exposed.

14. £5 Incidental expenses shouldnt be used to recover the cost of PAYD. Anyone using this to get round the system is just taking the piss...and by putting it on this forum making it public knowledge as well f**k sake...how stupid is that....eventually after wholesale abuse of this allowance it will be withdrawn or amended in such a way that nobody can claim for it...accept the fact that PAYD means PAY and YOU and you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket and get off the gravy train!

15. Calm down, WM. You having those Gulf War Flashbacks again?! :rambo:

16. I'm pretty sure that is what I said...

17. Claiming £5 incidentals to cover PAYD? That's only £1.11 compensation for the Sh1t* you are forced to eat. I'd say we're getting seen off......
    On a more serious note, I'd heard that if you are away on course from your unit (where you normally eat) 28 days or less, then you are entitled to claim PAYD back. Not sure how true this is, or where it sits with RNRs who don't 'eat' at their home units.

18. Sorry Warmonger I think there has been a bit of a misunderstanding here. No, Incidental Expenses should not be claimed to compensate for paying for your food - totally agree. No doubt in my mind though that those who are required to live in Service Accommodation due to their course (ie LRLC) are entitled to claim IE (about £5 a day although I could easily find out the exact amount). Ex Scribes so pretty confident about this but if you want to discuss further I am happy to put the rules up. :thumright:

19. You must be able to provide reciepts upon request for you IE.

I thought it was a little bonus for putting up with sh*te accomodation and sh*te food but apparently not!

20. To be honest the food aint all that bad. What IS sh*te though is the service you get. One person on the till at mealtimes, with about 30 people queuing up to pay, and their food getting cold in the process. The catering staff (at Collingrad anyway) are helpful enough but it just aint working there to be honest. Pain in the arse when youre on your LRLC and you've got limited time for meals, and yet you've got practically the whole of Collingwood in the queue in front of you, PLUS loads of civvie rugby/football/(insert optional sport here) teams posing around the place in their sports gear. Wouldn't have happened in my day BLAH BLAH BLAH..................................