Cool Film, Cool Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by sgtpepperband, Dec 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I love films. I also love (most) film soundtracks. While recuperating yesterday, I watched "The Thin Red Line" on Sky; seen it many times and I am still moved by this wonderful score, but specifically this piece, which is probably familiar to many people:

"Journey to the Line" - Hans Zimmer (The Thin Red Line OST)

Anyone else have a favourite original pieces of film soundtrack (i.e. not music 'inspired by' or 'heard in the background in the cafe scene...')?

2. I love the soundtrack to the Thomas Crown Affair (Steve McQueen, Faye Dunaway), both the main theme and the incidental music throughout.

Cool soundtrack - v. cool film ....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dAGGTVft5Lk

3. Hans Zimmer does some really really good tunes for movies and games and same goes for that John Williams

4. I think one tune that will always remind me of a film is adagio for strings

When ever I hear it I always think of platoon but I always find it fitting for alot of war footage.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVkXj26qds

5. Ive just heard In Dulci Jubilo by mike oldfield on the radio, seems a relaxing tune :D

6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Gladiator soundtrack is brilliant for chilling out to, particularly after a training sesh.

7. The music to the TV series 'Band of Brothers' is just fantastic. I also agree with tiddlyoggy that the Gladiator soundtrack is something special.

8. Soundtrack to "Love, Honour and Obey". Great tunes, great film and Bloody Hilarious.

9. Aye I like Love, Honour and Obey

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: "Love, Honour & Obey" - concur with comments so far, but the film score was not necessarily written for it... :?

11. I'm wondering whether it is becoming less common for a film to have a complete score written for it nowadays; if you look at the closing credits today you will often see a long list of the tracks used plus copyrights and it's generally already existing tracks; if you buy a soundtrack CD, there's often a small percentage of actual score and ten or so tracks brought in from other sources to act as incidental music to the film.

12. Love the soundtrack to Bladerunner and Zulu... :thumright:

13. Oh and one more I forgot to add

Empire of the Sun (Suo Gan)

Although listening to the songs alone do not do them justice, it's when they're choreographed into the film that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

14. Tour of Duty Tv series

15. Cool film.....Cruel Sea