CONVOY! by Paul Kemp

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Seaweed, Jun 19, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

(1993, Cassell Military Ppbk 2000)

A very full, and interestingly illustrated, account of the Arctic convoys to Russia - why, when, how, what, where and who. I have got as far as the PQ17 disaster and a detailed account of who said what and to whom and why Pound, in spite of the evidence, acted as he did. I'm very impressed by the research that has gone into this, which includes the story of every convoy we ran, and also the part played by ultra in guiding our actions, and how pressure from Roosevelt, Stalin and Churchill overrode purely military considerations (and why) and at what (appalling) cost.

2. I read that a couple of years ago. Very interesting book, particularly on the subject of PQ17.

3. I have an idea his father served on a merchant ship in the WW2 convoys --- but it's a while since read it .Tui

4. Thanks for posting this review. Must add this title to my list of 'must reads'.
    Have started to get interested in the Arctic Convoys after seeing a related exhibition on the subject at the National Maritime Museum, and from reading Alan Ross' poetry , I've also watched a documentary about PQ17 presented by Jeremy Clarkson. Reading this book could be helpful.