Contesting your medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Shuttley, Nov 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I went to my pre joining medical and the doc failed me because apparently i have eczema on my arms, chest and arms; which i news to me! I occasionally get dry skin but its nothing a bit of sudocream doesn't fix.

Was just wondering if i could contest it or get a second opinion because frankly it seems like a load tosh!

2. Not a medical expert so feel free to totally ignore me but.

Can you see another doctor disagreeing with the first doctor diagnosis?

Maybe one of the medical pro's on here will assist better then I.

3. Definitely, it was news to me that i have eczema, its not sore or uncomfortable, it just comes and goes on its own. My plan is to speak to my AFCO tomorrow and then speak to my own doctor.

4. The fact that it is news to you doesn't make the doctor's assessment wrong.

5. See if they do a BOGOF on the appeals, then you can use the second one when they turn you down for being illiterate.

6. '
    '
    From RR's tame AFCO Ninja Stoker at http://www.navy-net.co.uk/joining-up-royal-navy-recruiting/55497-royal-navy-medical.html

<<...The following is an extract from the AFCO Form 5, Application Form Information and Guidance Booklet that is given to every applicant (which invariably remain unread!). Any spelling errors are mine, my apologies:

AFCO FORM 5 Revised Mar 07

APPLICATION FORM INFORMATION & GUIDANCE NOTES

MEDICAL This table below and overleaf is not exhaustive and is for general guidance only. Many conditions that are compatible with civilian employment and sport may be considered incompatible with military service. If you have a medical condition that is not mentioned below, or you are unclear about the impact of your medical
    history, you should seek further advice from the AFCO staff....

Please note that the AFCO staff are not medically qualified and that the decision regarding medical suitability for enlistment is determined by selection medical staff....

...Skin disorders

Chronic eczema or dermatitis. Severe psoriasis. Severe acne...>>>

I'm no medic* but if your's is but a mild/insignificant case of Eczema then you may still have a fighting chance for entry.

* RR's Angry-Doc is a serving RN MO - He's often a busy man but he might be along shortly with more detailed advice.

Best of luck.

7. I joined this to seek help with joining the Navy, not receive stupid comments by people who obviously have nothing better to do with their time! Did your mother never teach you, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything!

8. You'll definitely get help now. Good call fella.

• Like Like x 2
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

If its just one arm have you considered amputation, it never did Nelson any harm!

If you are serious about an RN career I should discover a sense of humour.

• Like Like x 1
  10. No she didn't... Did your mother bring you up to be a spoilt little brat who thinks everyone is here just to look after you ? Although, at least you've managed to communicate in a manner that doesn't make you look like a idle uneducated chav.
    So well done you !!!

11. Now you've done it!!!!!!!:happy1:

12. Most definitely not, she bought me up to be hard working, that's why i haven't been out of employment since i was 14, even whilst at university I held down a job. Idle uneducated chav, I certainly am not! As for everyone looking after me, I'm only asking for advice, I'm sure anyone who is joining up has questions!

13. Hopefully "Shuttley" is your first name, and "Fuckup" is your last name...cos that's what you need to do !!

14. Thank god I've got a light schedule tomorrow. Would hate to miss the amusement.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. When I joined up there was no such thing as Head & Shoulders and my dandruff was like a whiteout but I still got in.

16. I did a short stint in a recruiting office and I was told of certain skin conditions that precluded entry

17. Active eczema is a bar to entry, whether or not you are aware of its existence.

18. I suppose it's worse as he's got it on all of his arms!

19. On a serious note that's a shame for the poor lad.

20. I would understand if it was some red crusty skin that was cracked and bloody, but it's a small patch of dry skin no bigger than a £2 coin!