Contact lenses through RT.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jabcrosshook, Sep 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings all,
    I've been thinking of a career in the RM for a while now or the Paras, I'm currently weighing up the pros and cons of each one to try and come to a decision as both roles interest me.
    I have one question at the moment, I'm sure there will be many more to come, I'm wondering if anyone here has wore contact lenses through RT?
    I know there's lots of swimming which they can't be worn for, but that wouldn't be a problem because I'd take them out before hand, but what I'm troubled by is when you go in the field, as I understand there are severial occasions when you get in the water out on exercise which may be a problem for me as it could wash out my contact lenses which would leave me in abit of a problem.
    Besides that has anyone had any other problems with contact lenses in RT, exercises or ops?

Peoples replys will be appreciated,
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

JCH: Welcome to RR, and I hope you're successful with your application into the Forces, whatever branch you chose.

I have been wearing glasses and contact lenses for 10 years now. Although I did not wear then during my basic training (young whippersnapper with good eyesight in those days!) but since wearing them, I have had no problems with them. I wear them all day (and sometimes all night), and have worn them in a variety of environments (including in smoke, fire, desert conditions, and also did a mask change under water during a diving course).

I have never experienced any problems as a result of wearing lenses in a service environment, so there is no reason why you should either. Obviously there may be times when a Para/RM might have difficulties in field conditions, but taking solution, case and spares in your kit should not take up much space.

Perhaps any contact-wearing RMs can comment?
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello & welcome to RR!

Basically the stock answer is "common sense" during commando recruit training.

Contact Lenses: As you say you should not wear them when swimming (chlorinated water under the lenses- Not good), wearing a respirator (gas mask) during chemical warfare training- CS gas under the lenses- Not good, on the assault course (muddy water under the lense-Not good) & as directed by the training staff during recruit training. When you are living "in the field" you will not have the time or sanitation to piddle about with contacts & it's not a good idea to put muddy fingers in your eyes. Similarly contact lenses aren't a good idea when you are on any Sea Survival courses, particularly the fire-fighting aspects.

You are advised to bring a spare pair of "durable" glasses for use when contacts are not to be worn. (You get prescription lenses to use in your respirator).

Good luck with your application. feel free to post the question if you cannot find it otherwise.
  4. Don't forget:

Firefighting training, layer of plastic melted to the eye, not good!
  5. sgtpepperband

Sshh! Don't tell anyone, but I kept mine in throughout two ISSCs, including firefighting, sea survival & DRUI training. Only 'cos I thought it was less dangerous than falling down a ladder 'cos I can't fecking see where I'm going! The only time I removed them was during the Respirator Test, obviously. I operated on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy... :wink:
  6. And I'll be doing exactly the same in a few weeks. It's not the same now the smokey joes have gone anyway.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Well, whilst I can appreciate your reasoning, as a fire-fighting instructor more than once in the "Smokey Joes" & having attended the new "cookability" units for a couple of advanced firefighting courses more recently, I'm not all that sure that having 100% clarity of vision is an advantage, when visibility is vastly reduced anyway whilst you are in the units.

It's up to the individual as to the risks they wish to take, but you are advised not to wear plastic in contact with the eyeball. If you don't & you get injured, then (in these days of litigation) you have a claim. If the plastic gets seared to your eyeball, then it's your problem!

It hasn't happened yet, admittedly.

Anyhoooo, enjoy the course!
  8. My last ISSC was about 4 years ago, but the gas-powered fire school doesn't look like there's much scope for engulfing oneself in flame. I wonder if the new fire-fighting suits are there?
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Probably not whilst there is an ounce of fabric hanging on the weft of the old suits!
  10. Thanks for your replies.
    I was thinking of wearing 30 day contacts which you can wear day and night, but I would take a durable pair of glasses with me.
  11. sgtpepperband

I wear these too, and although they CAN be worn for 30 days/nights they should NOT be worn for this period, as your eyes will become prone to infection. I would suggest removing them at night, unless you are required to do so (on watch/duty, etc.)
  12. Yeh I was thinking of only wearing them at night when I had too for example when out in the field, the only problems I can think of wearing them is when something happens unexpected like the mudd run and streams/rivers. But glasses could also be a problem in the same situations.
  13. Wore extended wear baush and lomb? from 83 to 92ish,about 6 months after they appeared on "Tomorrows World", then went to back glasses.Could wear em for a week then 24 hours off.No one asked and them that did I told em to mind their own bussiness.Wore em swimming, sailing(the reason I got em)and at sea (Boats) .Wore glasses for fire school.
  14. @ Topstop

I have similar contacts, they are normally very good and have swam in a swimming pool underwater with my eyes open without a problem before but i have also done it and lost both lenses.

Are you RN/RM? Did you not have a problem on exercise/operations? I cant imagine they would be very good in muddy conditions especially if you cant keep them clean/sterile.

My personal opinion is that you could probably get by without a problem wearing lenses but if you do have a problem such as a bit of dirt or you lose a lens then you are buggered
  15. Submarines . Never lost one in the pool but came close acouple of times
  16. in ten years i haven't lost a lense, in training only the ocassional mud run (see commando frontline ) caused me an issue

never managed with the 30 day lenses, the always got a bit sticky in wek three, just cracked the daily ones

Never mind the CS/Firefighting/swimming bullshoite legends just not true

If your contact lenses are melting I'd say you were completely fecked anyways and I seemed to manage better in the gas chamber with lenses in

Back up is always advisable but I always thought the steely eyed dealer of death image was lost with a pair of battle bins on
  17. Thanks for your replies again,
    I've come up with a solution, because I don't have to wear glasses all the time, I will only really need them for firing the SA80 because my right eye isn't all that good, but my left eye is better than average, so it sort of cancels it out, so from your replies and other people I've been talking too, what I am going to do is not wear contact lenses/glasses when not firing the SA80 with live rounds, so when using blanks or any other time I won't be wearing anything for my eyes but when I know I am going to be using live rounds I am going to wear something.
    Does that sound ok?
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Just make sure the colour of your frames don't clash with your uniform[​IMG]