contact lenses during basics

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by matt443, Jul 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey anyone no if you can wear contact lenses during basics, espically when swiming, if so can you wear goggles. As you need to when swimming with contact lenses. Thanks for any help.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Dare I say it?

Common sense applies - the Swimming Test is to ensure individuals are capable of stepping off a ship, swimming to a liferaft fully clothed & climbing in. Generally when ships sink, swimming goggles aren't always available unless the NAAFI is open or they happen to be in your pocket.
  3. I swim in contact lenses no problem, just dont open your eyes under water :)
  4. What type of contact lenses do you wear? I wear focus dailys they seem to fall out realy easy jus by a little splash or sumat.
  5. Matt, you want a simple answer? Don't wear them during your basic training. Once you get to part 2 training that's a different matter.
  6. Use a small bit of cotton through each lens and tie it to your hand,sorted!
  7. I wear bausch and lombe extended wear but I have had ones that fall out easily before. Saying that, if you were having to jump ship then I think your contact lenses would be the last thing on your mind. Suppose it depends how bad your eyesite is!