Considering Joining the Royal Navy post graduation

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BanditRider, Oct 17, 2016 at 5:45 PM.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good evening all.

I am in my final year of university and I'll graduating in 2017.

I've considered joining since leaving school but decided to stay in education. During my first year of university, I considered leaving and joining as a rating however the careers adviser noted that if I finished my course at university I could join as an officer.

The time has come for me to decide what to do once I graduate and being stuck in an office on £18k on a graduate scheme seems rather dead end to me and is reinforcing my decision to persue a career in the Royal Navy.

I've spoken to a few friends who are currently serving and needless to say, I'm convinced it is the career for me. I've looked into the roles available and I'm interested in either the Warfare Officer role or the Logistics Officer role.

Could anyone explain what the roles entail in a little more detail? The careers page gives a good overview but not much detail.

Also what is basic traning and deployment like?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

By happy chance there are both serving Warfare and Logistic Officers who frequent this forum and hopefully they can give you a more accurate pointer than me.

On thing I would advise is choose a job because you want to do that job, not solely based on your academic attainment. A degree may mean you are eligible, but it doesn't mean you are suitable or indeed whether the job suits you.

The way I describe the two jobs in the 'action state' is the Warfare Officer directs the external battle, the Logistics Officer directs the internal battle. In short, the Warfare Officer is the person that effectively fights the ship, the Logistics Officer is the person who deals with the damage caused during the fight, mitigating the impact and giving the Warfare Officer the maximum chance of winning.

There's a fair bit more to it than my simplistic overview, but each job is inextricably linked. Their day to day jobs, besides managing their most important assets (their personnel), are quite different and again best described by those who do the job.
    • Like Like x 1