Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering attempting to transfer X(GS)

Sogz

Midshipman
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. (I think, I've not been on the site for about a year or so)

I'm currently a volunteer for Warfare Officer (Submarines) and Submarine course is beginning to loom on the horizon, bar a few Surface courses I need to get out of the way. However, I'm starting to have doubts about whether or not the Submarine Service is for me. I've met a few submariners recently and the more I hear about the job the more it sounds like a day or two of quite interesting, crunchy warfare stuff followed by sleeping in somebody else's bed and getting fisted (figuratively). On the other hand, I've thoroughly enjoyed my time as a 2OOW on surface ships and am starting to think 'I really enjoy this job, I won't know if I enjoy submarines until the door is already pretty much closed and locked behind me, instead of the gamble why not transfer and stick with a job I know I enjoy?' (I appreciate that the likelihood of my transfer being approved is low.)

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

fishhead

War Hero
It's not unusual to get cold feet over a decision you made when you may not have been in possession of all the facts. Having said that it is not always the best thing to make decisions based on other peoples "dits". Submarines are complex fascinating pieces of kit but they definitely aren't to everyone's taste. My advice(for what it's worth) is to press on and base your decisions on personal experience. Once you get to sea on a boat you have about three months to complete a task book followed by a test. Failure to complete the book and failure of the test would probably send you back to surface ships anyway but if the life in boats suits you may never want to go back.

X(SM) is a branch that is in shortfall, however there are a) other GSX jobs that are in even worse shortfall and b) branch transfers are becoming easier.

Have you spoken to Navs and Ops about this?

Sogz

Midshipman
Thanks for the advice so far.

Yes Alfred, I'm going through all the correct channels at the moment, been told to go away and have a think about it again just to make sure, thought I'd see what other people had to say, just out of interest really.

As a chap who found the Submarine Service was full when he'd volunteered for it, I am not sorry I remained GS.

If you get the running boat doing interesting stuff I'd suggest it was probably the best job in the RN. However, the disruption I see to my oppo's lives, the way in which everyone watchkeeps (even when alongside when you include OOD duties), and the attitude to programme changes, means that it can be pretty pump as well.

Honestly, if you think you'd prefer GS(X), I'd stay GS(X) and fight for it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D 34 Years young, considering attempting to join the Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
T Considering applying to RFA RFA 5
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS Almost 1 in 3 are considering donating to a charity for Christmas instead of giving a gift MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London school sold and shut by trustee who acted ‘without considering consequences’ MoD News 0
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
N Should I even be considering this? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Considering Joining the Royal Navy post graduation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS News story: UK considering further support to fight against Daesh MoD News 0
B I have a family and considering applying... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Considering joining the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Considering joining the navy but need advice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
D Seriously considering becoming a RN diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
trehorn Considering the RNR? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 3
C Seriously considering rejoining the mighty RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C Considering joining the Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 59
S Semi-considering re-enlisting.... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
Q Newbie considering joining up Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
JonnyAlpha Attempting to Join RMR but need help locating previous service record RMR 4
finknottle Is Brown attempting to suffocate the Chilcot Inquiry? Current Affairs 15
trehorn Is Soleil attempting a take over? The Fleet 32
A Transfer from RM to RN MoD News 2
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
S Transfer from Army to Navy Joining the Royal Navy 13
W Branch Transfer UPO/Careers Office 3
MoD_RSS MPs to transfer sanctions power to independent panel MoD News 0
A Aircrew branch transfer UPO/Careers Office 37
MoD_RSS Bank of England consent to transfer of authorisation to issue Northern Irish banknotes MoD News 0
M MN to RN transfer Joining the Royal Navy 10
A Quickest way to transfer to Regulars? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS NDA completes transfer of plutonium from Dounreay MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Your Learning Map to transfer to GOV.UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD’s advice helped people on TUPE transfer MoD News 0
R Transfer from RM to Navy Diver UPO/Careers Office 3
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determinations: West Kensington and Gibbs Green Estates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determination: Cressingham Gardens Estate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister announces new transfer option for mortgage interest support MoD News 0
rabbutler1985 PO GS to transfer to SM either as SNCO or Officer Submariners 6
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister announces new transfer option for mortgage interest support MoD News 0
1 Lateral transfer into the RN; possible? What if trained in RN? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS News story: Winfrith land transfer secures £1.7 million savings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF medics transfer UN hospital in South Sudan to Vietnamese MoD News 0
T Transfer from RM to RN Joining the Royal Navy 25
Armouredcav18 British Army to Royal Navy transfer Joining the Royal Navy 3
A Branch transfer as an AB1 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
B Looking into a transfer to AC The Fleet Air Arm 23
C Army to Navy transfer advice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
C Weapon engineer, role transfer? Joining the Royal Navy 23
S Transfer to RAN Submariners 12
NateDogg Able to transfer/ move to another common wealth force? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13