Conscription

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Jack_McHammocklashing, Feb 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well it is about time, we relieved all the Volunteers and put someonelse out to bat

Fed up of all the good guys fielding all the crup

Whilst I feel conscription would be good for the UK, I fear for the regulars if it were to happen

Having to train people who do not want to be there, and ultimately having to put your life in their hands when the need arrises

It was bad enough in the sixties when we had Combined Cadet Forces for their two week stint
    THEFT, LAZINESS, LACK OF CLEANLINESS, ILL DICIPLINED AND fight for DINNER QUEUE

Any takers

Jack McH

2. You say that you fear for the regulars, but I think the conscripted lads and/or ladies should fear for themselves as well. For in any situation, if you don't pull your weight then people aren't interested.

Amirite?

3. No Tim,you are a basket case ******

4. I am all for a bit of discipline with the young today bwtf are you on about grand dad ? ?

5. Tim FCUK OFF

6. It would not work. The saying [he refused t soldier] Kray brothers did it. Kicked out....

7. Everyone knows that senior officers are dead against it (i.e. any reintroduction of national service). It would also be political suicide for any government that didn't apply it to 'other people's children'. I think that's the end of that.

8. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

30 odd thousand member RN. What % professional, compared to conscripts? If you say 50/50 then do you have a lottery draw to see who wins the lucky tickets? Length of service?

I could go on and express my opinion, but I think seadog would cut it, or dump this thread in the gash where it should be.

9. Sorry I bit, but looks like a NORMAN post to me....

10. witsend

Come too think about it, how is this current affairs? Have I missed something or is this the rambling mind of a ex, who should be really thinking about planting the tatties in spring.

11. yes

12. Come on Jack backup what you mean. Or have you gone to the Gladur for last orders.....

13. I do understand where his coming from, but conscription is not the answer ten pressed men and all that. Tim is still being dim. And why are you standing up for Jack when he started this post?? :?:

14. As the old saying goes -'One volunteer is worth ten pressed men.'

15. witsend

I fail to see how the question is valid, unless the size/numbers of the members of the armed forces increases. Exchange one professional for one conscript? Yes that will work on the ground and back at home. :roll:

16. We are an all Volunteer military.
    The days of the conscript have gone and for the better.
    I do believe in conscription to a civil force for those long term work shy benefit claimants.
    Those conscripted would have to work on civil projects. Those refusing to go because of umen rites would have all benefits stopped and be given food and clothing stamps to preserve these umen rites that they are so fond of quoting.

17. The reason why I’m speaking up for Jack McH is because I was irritated by him being misidentified as Norman. ON reading his points in the other Thread, it didn’t take the brains of an Archbishop to work out what his intention was.

As I understand his point, if there was conscription with the corresponding increase in the feckless and chavoid in uniform and “harm’s wayâ€, average Joe (or Josephine) Brit may pay more attention and concern over what’s going on in the sand pits. As professionals, we all know that conscription would be a particularly bone move but that doesn’t invalidate the point that more of the population would be directly or indirectly involved.

18. Could GB defend itself in a major upheaval without conscription ? But what would you draw on? Conscripts did their duty in times past because attitudes were different and most people had some decency and a sense of duty.British Rail for example was a source of skilled steam and diesel fitters in WW2,but where would you look to for these skills now? Where could the conscripts be put to use? There are no ships.The army has not equipment and there is no manufacturing base left that could be switched to building tanks for example.Good question there Jack

19. I must admit that I do not see conscription into the armed forces as a solution for either todays youth or the armed services. On the other hand like Slim I do see a value in the youth being obliged to spend some time working for the benefit of the nation as a whole.