Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conny Onny

D

Deleted 58790

The Merchant navy with its mixed nationality crews use few colloquialisms compared to the Royal Navy.
Until recently I had not heard of Conny Onny --Scouse for condensed milk ,It was an essential in lifeboats during the war, Condensed milk and sweetened condensed milk in half size tins also popular in RN. The sweetened condensed milk was often in short supply when it was discovered it was excellent for sticking snaps in photo albums

Scran_Bag

War Hero
The Merchant navy with its mixed nationality crews use few colloquialisms compared to the Royal Navy.
Until recently I had not heard of Conny Onny --Scouse for condensed milk ,It was an essential in lifeboats during the war, Condensed milk and sweetened condensed milk in half size tins also popular in RN. The sweetened condensed milk was often in short supply when it was discovered it was excellent for sticking snaps in photo albums

Excellent topic and very informative, Do tell us more please Norman.

Ballistic

War Hero
I don't understand the joke.
The punchline seems to be missing... :confused:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I know of another white liquid that can stick paper together.

It always seemed to work on old spank mags left in the end trap, though I don't know if anyone tried it on the family photo album!

D

Deleted 58790

I know of another white liquid that can stick paper together.

It always seemed to work on old spank mags left in the end trap, though I don't know if anyone tried it on the family photo album!
Perhaps this is an ideal opportunity to put right the misconception of some younger ones ---just what Brown Hatters is all about
Nothing to do with someone sticking their old man up someone's Rear End.
It arose further back in the Music Hall/ early Cinemas days
Knobs wore black bowlers and working men copied ,but with brown ones. The Music halls of the day had constant problems and surreptitiously and frequently brought the house lights up.
Playing with himself or someone doing it for him--the brown hat was l most suitable quickly to hide his embarrassment.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Perhaps this is an ideal opportunity to put right the misconception of some younger ones ---just what Brown Hatters is all about
Nothing to do with someone sticking their old man up someone's Rear End.
It arose further back in the Music Hall/ early Cinemas days
Knobs wore black bowlers and working men copied ,but with brown ones. The Music halls of the day had constant problems and surreptitiously and frequently brought the house lights up.
Playing with himself or someone doing it for him--the brown hat was l most suitable quickly to hide his embarrassment.
Sounds like bullsh*t to me, a brown hat meant socially unacceptable to the upper class snobs, nothing to do with music halls or groping.

https://thorne_slang.enacademic.com/935/brown_hatter

Nice try but check your facts, and it does also mean what it's known to mean these days.

Waspie

War Hero
Serious question for the Mods.

Are we still on planet Earth? Or have we had a shift in the space time continuum recently!!!!

Asking for a friend you understand. I mean - I fully understand the wittering - well I think I do.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
@Waspie , I see it as the same as just some old boy nursing his pint in the corner reminiscing about "the good old days" and "when we had a proper navy"

Every RNA and British Legion Club has at least one, and before @Sumo starts I'm not a member of either so it's not me.

Waspie

War Hero
@Waspie , I see it as the same as just some old boy nursing his pint in the corner reminiscing about "the good old days" and "when we had a proper navy"

Every RNA and British Legion Club has at least one, and before @Sumo starts I'm not a member of either so it's not me.
Nice analogy, I have changed the image in my mind from a keyboard warrior dressed in an Admirals uniform circa 1883 to that of a keyboard warrior 1947, covered in tats and a wild grey beard supping a tot of howsmefather in the corner of the Legion in a far flung land far far away!!!!!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Nice analogy, I have changed the image in my mind from a keyboard warrior dressed in an Admirals uniform circa 1883 to that of a keyboard warrior 1947, covered in tats and a wild grey beard supping a tot of howsmefather in the corner of the Legion in a far flung land far far away!!!!!!
A bona fide Uncle Albert :)

Well, hope he enjoys his dark corner in the RNA/Legion....covid seems to be doing in a number of Legion Branches here in Canada, no doubt similar in UK.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Well, hope he enjoys his dark corner in the RNA/Legion....covid seems to be doing in a number of Legion Branches here in Canada, no doubt similar in UK.
My branch hasn't met since March, the committee have met once, down the pub, to work out what to do in November.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
My branch hasn't met since March, the committee have met once, down the pub, to work out what to do in November.
I bet Norman’s branch did the same too!

The members got sick of the shit dit’s being relayed by Normo, and thought “**** this, we’re closed”!

Latest Threads