Congratulations Devonport Dockyard

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Jun 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is the latest 'Super' yacht (Project 54) to be built at Devonport on it's way out for the 2nd days sea trial.
    It's 86 mtr long and well in excess of £100m

Sarafsa is owned by Prince Fahd bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz al Saud, of Saudi Arabia, and named after his only daughter Sara Fahed Sultan Al Saud (Sara F S A).

Sarafsa

2. That's not the same one.

3. Project 54 has been a complete disaster - ask anyone who has worked on it. Overtime & over budget, just like everything else they do.

4. Catches fire when attempting full speed trials, not good.

5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Overtime and over budget do not a disaster make, how many times did the requirement/ specification change post the design phase? The only real test is whether the product meets customer satisfaction and expectation, the quality aspect of the project management triangle. Remember Heathrow Terminal 5 was one of the most successful construction projects undertaken in this country for years, until it was handed over to the operators!

6. Couldn't have been that bad or he wouldn't have come back and ordered another one.

7. Straight into a FTSP I expect to fix all the things that are not correct but have been excepted.

Just like any refit, build that our dockyards produce. ^~

8. what about the one that has been in the dockyard for years going green? whats that all about?

9. Reminds me of the Mermaid, originaly ordered by President Nkrumah of Ghana as his Presidential yacht, during build he was overthrown and the new government canceled the order....hmm , what do we do with it, I know let's stick a WW2 4inch gun on the sharp end and a triple mortar in the orchestra pit ( I kid you not ) at the rear of the flight deck ( no helo embarked ) and call it a GP frigate.
    That 4 inch turned out to be the most accurate gun in the fleet . :thumright: