congrats you passed AIB... but unlikely to be selected

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Anon997, May 14, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. LOGS OFFICER APPLICANT

I have just received a letter from AIB informing me that I have passed the AIB as logs officer but will unlikely be selected.

What are my options?

2. Do AIB again, get a better score.

3. What's the earliest I can redo it?

4. I believe an AIB pass remains valid for 12 months - i.e you remain in the pool of potential OC's for a year. If you aren't selected then you would have to redo AIB, and hopefully get a competitive score.

5. Apply to the Army, you'll get straight in.

No offence BR :p

6. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

If you have the requisite A levels or degree, try Engineer. Logs is very very popular. If you have a degree then Training Management Officer may be open to you. Bear in mind though that TMO is the branch of the chosen and the intellectual glue that holds the rest of the Navy together. Many are called but few chosen. Or go Dabber......... I think AIB is valid for 2 years but let's check with a professional - 'Paging Ninja Stoker, paging Ninja Stoker'.........

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

fixed that for you ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Oooh, meoooow! :p

9. Join the RNR as an officer and do project HERMES.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Absolutely spot-on.

An AIB pass is valid for the RNR. Do that first, then request a transfer to the regular service, sit back.

If you passed AIB, you are eligible to join as an Officer. For as long as you are one (RNR), as soon as there's a shortfall, you're an easy win.

One of life's anomalies is that ratings are selected sequentially by order of pass - officers by grade of pass ... But only in shortage categories. Sit tight, join the RNR and it could go your way.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Trainer

Hermes is closed for this year. Having said that the pool of applicants is thinning rapidly as the biffs, RNFT failures, AIB stouffs and people who just cant take 3 months out of their life start to be a factor. You could walk in now to an AFCO and ask and press to test. Or just join a unit and do it slow space and gain experience. The RNR has a Logs Branch. There is now a seamless transfer process for Dartmouth passed RNR officers into the RN.

12. Trainer

Wave Dodger, these Children's Tea Parties, CCF Visits, the SULTAN show, COLLINGWOOD Field Gun Day and Stone Frigate Duty Rosters are not going to organise themselves are they? LOL

13. wave_dodger

I'm allowed to...

• Like Like x 1
  14. wave_dodger

Absolutely not, but then again they're not managed solely by Skoolies, in most establishments they're still the minority on the staff.

You missed out making ball decs, that was always one of my least favourite evolutions, and organising the summer cocktail parties, I didn't that mind too much though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Trainer

Yes, he's allowed to... the clues in the name ;-)

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. wave_dodger

The clue is in the career....

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Trainer

Tweaked that one for you - no charge!!!!

18. wave_dodger

Ah, but they are what you make of them. In general you're correct and especially nowadays with some fantastic panic gap filling being hastily implemented. As always it's lovely to meet the appointer, allows you to meet the person about to be promoted in 18 months.....