confused

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mattclarke, Mar 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im getting a tad confused by some of the shorthand used.....

I understand LOGS is logistics and am assuming SM is meaning submarine service. PERS is personal? but the rest i cant quite guess especially the D and P in brackets...so sorry to bother but pleaase enlighten me a little

LOGS CS (D)
    LOGS CS (D)
    LOGS CS (P)
    LOGS CS (P)
    LOGS PERS
    LOGS PERS
    LOGS SC
    LOGS SC

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

LOGS CS (D) - Steward Catering services delivery

LOGS CS (P) - Chef Catering services preparation

LOGS PERS - Writer Personnel

LOGS SC - Stores Accountant Supply Chain

3. So my applying as a logistics officer ideally surface fleet would have what shorthand? they didnt really explain too well sorry and maybe with my being laid up in bed ill my brain aint working

4. You can't apply for 'mainly surface fleet', as a male officer you have to be willing to serve on submarines if told to do so - increasingly likely in the logistics branch by all accounts.

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

You cannot imagine how much self restraint I'm having to apply now. :twisted:

6. Logs Ossifer Surface (Transitional).
    Isn't it? :wink:

7. There was me under the illusion the logs branch renaming was to make the jobs more familiar to civilians.

Whose bright idea was that then?

I still remember hearing someone addressed as Able Seaman brackets Logs brackets Catering Services brackets Delivery brackets Submarine Bloggs.

You couldn't make it up!

8. Ninja_Stoker

My guess is that significantly important issues such as branch name changes, laughably introduced for clarity, would have been put forward from SO1 level at least, either that or from a Senior Rates Mess in the closing minutes of a particularly good 'mess social'.

I genuinely think the name change came about as it was often stated that the term "Writer" conjured the mental image of a person wielding a feathered quill, rather than that of a Clerical Administrator. In the fine tradition of the same committee tasked to design a mouse, ending up with a heffalump, the gobbledygook flowed forth.

To my mind the Writer should've simply been re-named "Data Janitor", then the majority of us would have all been quite happy. :wink:

9. If I was still in I would rise to this and say something like "say it to our faces and we'll show you a pay screw up", but as I am now Outside ( I will not say I came out - hey ho) and the entire fleet went to rats since I left (probably as a result ) I will not.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

10. Ninja_Stoker

:lol: I'll try again:

The marvel that is JPA now gives us the opportunity to totally screw-up our own pay completely unaided, then blame our non-watchkeeping, higher pay-banded, oggin-averse, compulsory naval companions.

11. Remembering how often 2SL's Personnel Liaison Team audiences clamoured for some sort of 'Pay as you Dine' system, this has the ring of truth. The phrases "If it ain't broke, don't change it" and "Always be careful what you wish for" spring to mind.

12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I am loving that acid tongue shippers! :lol: Trust me though they are still well capable of fukcing up your pay, the 8 months of GYH pay I'm owed is just one example that springs to mind.

13. Ok...so....the situation is as such...

As a Logs Officer, i have to be prepared to work within the submarine service..i have no real objection to this as would be good to have some variety away from shore-based deployments and ship based deployments...

I just would prefer not to be exclusively submarine service...plenty of time to worry about that i guess seeing the waiting times for each branch....

The AFCO didnt really give me any idea on waiting times so have gone of the sticky post on thi sforum which suggests 12-24 months for logs officer dependent on exact role...so do these delays relate only to ratings or are they applicable to officers too?

And thank you Soleil for the well wishes...im feeling much better now

14. Matt

Glad you are feeling better.

The list of waiting times showing those long waits which is a Sticky on the Newbie forum relates to Rating Entry.

Your personal timetable is going to be based on taking your RT, your sift, eye test, fitness test, medical etc and ultimately your date with the AIB and then a place at BRNC.

How far are you along the process now? Do you have a sift date yet?

15. I think you are still getting confused between officer and rating roles when you speak about "exact role" and defined waiting times.

You either apply as a Logistics Officer or as a Logistics Officer (Submariner) - further than that there is no designation of exact role for officers.

The difference between the two being that your one main sea going Logistics Officer role as a Lt. will be on a submarine not a surface ship if you go submariner. You will have spent time on surface ships during your training so you will not miss that element entirely. You will only normally go to sea once as a Lieutenant in the Logistics branch anyway, however the chances of filling gaps and doing more than one sea job at that rank are higher in the submarine service due to available numbers. I believe too, that if you get to Lt. Cdr that it is possible to go back to sea on a larger surface ship as the LO even if you are a Submariner.

The waiting time between first applying and getting an AIB date is under a year (lets say either side of 8 months to be safe). Your wait after passing AIB depends how good your pass is, logistics is very popular and requires a high score to translate a pass into a place at BRNC, so you could theoretically pass AIB but not be offered a place on any intakes for the coming year and have to redo your AIB. Alternatively you could pass AIB and be offered a place on the intake a month or two months later etc.

Intakes are in January, April and September so you can sort of calculate from there.

edited to add: Yes, you would have to be willing to become a submariner if told to do so at any point during your training, early career etc.

16. Ninja_Stoker

If you're not too busy 'next month', you could be a Logs Officer on a submarine if you wished, however Logs Officers (GS) are pretty much full for the next 12 months or so.

In all cases, regardless of trade, Potential 0fficers should start the application about 8 or 9 months ahead of their projected/intended entry date. For trades with a known long wait - such as Logs, then allow for a 12+ months timescale. Problem is that many undergraduates confuse the submission of a job application with the last-minute submission of a degree related dissertation & find themselves unemployed after graduating.

Waiting times listed elsewhere relate to ratings rather than officers.

17. Thank you everyone for all the advice you have offered and the information you have kindly provided. I just took and passed the RT so now i've been told i need to get eye tests and medical booked and will assume my PJFT will be soon after. In an ideal world and provided all scores are suitable i would hope to join BRNC Dartmouth in January, thus givng me time to complete a few other obligations such as my phd thesis and present work contract etc. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly.

Matt