Confused

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Topaz, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay so im expecting a few rants of people for posting this.
    I know I should make up my own mind but i need abit of help

My careers advisor rang me today and told me which options i have

They consist of:
    Aircraft engineer/ Marine engineer
    Aircraft handler
    Aircraft survival equiptment
    Medic assistant
    Steward

None of these are what I wanted to do, but being in the Navy is, so im going to have to sacrifice lol.

Does anyone on here have experience of these jobs?
    I dont want something to challenging because im not all that bright...

2. Hmmm... i wouldn't say that in your interview. You don't want anything too challenging...? Either you've worded that really badly or you really don't have a clue. Do ya seriously think any job in the RN is going to be a breeze?

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

No shite...... :thumleft:

4. I knew this was going to get me into a hole. It was worded badly.

The last 4 jobs i know are going to be hard but engineering especialy, and I was saying that like do you have to have alot of knowledge to learn engineering?

I know all asfects of the RN is a challenge that is what i like about it.

I dont know how to word this, im hopeless at English.

5. wet_blobby

Topaz, turn the question around. What are you good at and what strengths do you have?

6. Chick - what DO you want to do in the RN?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Presumably your eyesight precluded Warfare?

Best bet is talk in depth with your Careers Adviser, having read each branch factsheet on the official RN website. (Link below)

You must be fairly bright to have the option to undergo technical trade training, the question is whether you are prepared to apply yourself & earn it?

If you do not challenge yourself, you'll get bored and leave, which is a complete waste of everyone's time.

Ultimately it's your choice, everyone is different & each job is very different- give it careful thought.

8. Im good at IT and cooking.

So like yeah Steward, wich is what I orignaly wanted to do when i first looked into the RN.

This is going to take so much research.

9. wet_blobby

Steward...dont they just make beds and wait on tables? Be a chef if you like cooking.

Editted to add: Judging from some of the slop I've had served up infront of me it isn't to challanging.

10. Right ive gone through my options.

Aircraft survival equiptment.

And no it hasnt taken me all of half an hour to work it out.
    Ive non stop been researching all of them today.

Im also taking Ninjas advice and talking to my careers advisor, although i think its going to be a phone call considering my AFCO is to far away and i need to arrange and interview anytime soon.

11. FFS...you'll go far!!! ^_^;

12. be a vending machine then

13. Awsome idea!

14. i think the aircraft jobs offer careers when you come to leave,medic would as well and not to challenging,steward definately not im ssuprised we still have them

15. I thought they juggled piss pots too, oh and members of the wardroom fire party.... "help me steward I'm burning!"

16. So the warfare branch requires near perfect vision? Oh hell.

17. Please dont take this the wrong way-- it sounds like u have noooooooo idea what u want to do, speak to your local afco- then decide if the RN is for you .

18. Altieri, are you any relation to Galtieri, by any chance? o_O

19. Im not taking it the wrong way at all.
    I honestly dont have any idea what i want to do.

Ive had my heart set on CIS for 2years now... and its been a blow not being able to get it because of my eye sight.

But the military, and espesialy the Navy is definatly the way of life i want to lead.

Its just having to choose from 5 trades, which im finding tough.

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not perfect, but minimum VA2:

Standard 2 (VA2)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/24, Left 6/36.

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/9N5

Refraction limit
    Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
    +3.00 sphere -2.50 sphere or cyl