Confirmation of what we old farts have been saying for years

Novocastrian

Badgeman
Re: Confirmation of what we old farts have been saying for y

slim said:
I sincerely believe that the real reason for youngsters not being able to express themselves ion written English is because they are in many cases incapable of speaking the language.
A great many of them seem to think that because they may have a little black blood in them they have to speak like a Jamaican. Others are unable to speak a sentence without using the words innit or you know what I mean. In fact when seeing youngsters trying to put their point across on television I often think sub titles should be available.

It's up to the teachers to reign that in. When I was at school in the 70s/80s the teachers bollocked us for using Geordie words and expressions in class.

It was fine in the playground but not in a formal setting like a classroom. The problem with kids now is they don't see the difference and don't realise when it is inappropriate to use the common vernacular.

I was told by a teacher who recently left to join the RN, that when she was marking written work, she could not use a red pen as it looks "negative" and they cannot mark more than 3 wrong words in case the child feels as if they are a "failure".

We only learn through making mistakes, and sometimes getting 0/10 in a spelling test gives a child the kick up the backside they need. Not marking things wrong that are wrong is telling the child that you don't require good English in life, but in my last job if I read a CV/Cover Letter filled with spelling mistakes it was swiftly filed in the bin.

On the BBC English point, I have no idea why the BBC have suddenly seen the need to add ridiculous amounts of accents, what is wrong with speaking the Queen's English?

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
slim said:
Because as a parent you will want your child to have the best possibilities in life. If that means teaching him/her how to speak and write correctly then so be it :thumright:
Slim, of course you're right. I was just having a little rant. I'm at odds with the boy's school at the moment over a different matter, therefore all things scool p*** me off.

Cardisoma

Midshipman

Potential_Officer said:
I was told by a teacher who recently left to join the RN, that when she was marking written work, she could not use a red pen as it looks "negative" and they cannot mark more than 3 wrong words in case the child feels as if they are a "failure".

My bold. Perfectly true! Personally, I make a point of ignoring stupid directives like that. We are supposed to use green ink instead of red for marking now, but surely the "little darlings" would just come to associate green in the same way. Could be because I'm one of those "brusque ex-forces ruffians", but I've never yet been taken to task when I ignore all this PC cr*p... or could it be something to do with the fact that I get results with my old fashioned approach?

NZ_Bootneck said:
As per usual the Wail has a pop at Teachers who have responsibility for a child for at most 6 hours a day five days a week in term time, 30 hours a week.
Who is responsible for the other 138 hours in the week?
Surely not the parents who might instill a little spelling, grammar and reasoning ability into their children's minds, if it wasn't for the soaps, social networking sites and pub time that might be missed.
I used to volunteer to take children in my daughters class for extra reading, until I asked one "Do your Mum or Dad read to you or listen to you read at bedtime?' "No" he replied "She's too busy playing WarCraft.", I continued for the remainder of the term then begged off.
How a parent can know that their child needs help with their reading but not help them is in my mind negligence, the fact that this woman is pregnant again fills me with pity for the poor sods.

NZB - how right you are.

Both my parents taught; much of what they tried to do in the limited time they had children at school was undone as soon as they walked out of the gate.

The reason why kids at independent schools do so well is the simple fact that their parents are actually interested in their education and are prepared to back the school up (or else they will lose their expensive place).

And another thing - when the fcuk did "pupils" start getting called "students"???

Cardisoma

Midshipman

Henry_the_Green_Engine said:
And another thing - when the fcuk did "pupils" start getting called "students"???

All part of modern "Education-speak" I'm afraid. I used to think the military were bad for using acronyms and double-talk, but they are mere beginners compared with the world of teaching. Trouble is, there are so many educational so-called "experts", academics and wooly-minded do-gooders (not to mention politicians and their slimy hangers-on) tampering, tweaking or downright interfering with the system, and they all tend to bring their own jargon with them, in order to baffle with bullsh*t.

AuldYin

Badgeman

Cardisoma said:

All part of modern "Education-speak" I'm afraid. I used to think the military were bad for using acronyms and double-talk, but they are mere beginners compared with the world of teaching. Trouble is, there are so many educational so-called "experts", academics and wooly-minded do-gooders (not to mention politicians and their slimy hangers-on) tampering, tweaking or downright interfering with the system, and they all tend to bring their own jargon with them, in order to baffle with bullsh*t.

We've just had an Ofsted inspection and had to use the term learners rather than students.

Cardisoma

Midshipman

AuldYin said:
Cardisoma said:

We've just had an Ofsted inspection and had to use the term learners rather than students.

Well, as we are now "service providers", rather than teachers, I'm just waiting for them to be designated "customers", to go with all their' "Individual Education Plans", or "Individual Learning Plans", or whatever they are called this week...

Why do you think I quit the UK? Out here I can actually concentrate on teaching!