Condiments

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by seafarer1939, Jun 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sat down yesterday for my dinner,braising steak.
    In front of me were!wait for it!
    1.Salt and pepper
    2.HP Sauce
    3.Mint Sauce
    4.Soya Sauce
    5 Hot Chilli and Garlic Sauce
    5.English mustard for the Roast tatties
    6.Lime Pickle [it doesn't go but I just like lime pickle]
    Wife says I'm mad to spoil a dinner with all these but it works for.
    hope I'm not alone in this!
    It's rubbish but it's in the G.Barge.

2. One to take your taste buds away is Geeta's Lime and Chilli Chutney. I used to have to mix it with their mango chutney but now can have it on it's own with a tomato and cheese and a rice cake or eight.

3. Could it be that the food, today, is tasteless without the Wizards spellbag of tastes in bottles?

Maybe children are letting us know, when they refuse to eat 'Normal' food?

PS I'm no Bunnyhugger, but I do get my Veggies from Riverford.....good taste all round

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  4. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Seafarer - I hope you are alone in this! Fancy wasting good braised steak with all that masking of the taste.

All that is needed is a well made gravy, a touch of pepper and, only if required, a pinch of salt. In my humble opinion :)

Your poor wife must be thinking that you do not appreciate her cooking if you drown it with such a cacophony of flavours.

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm with you AG, an insult to the wife's cooking, no pepper for me just a little added salt usually and enjoy the natural flavour

6. I agree with AG, maybe a pepper sauce on the steak but I don't use any condiments, especially salt. Vinegar on my chips is about it.

7. Pasty, with daddies sauce or not!

8. Got to be HP..........

9. Ageing_Gracefully

There are some things in life which are just perfect in their original form and don't need any additional enhancement.

Pomme frites mit mayo for instance

Hamburger, sitting on a bed of salad in a bun - with tomato ketchup

A tranche of salmon lightly sprinkled with lemon juice, served with boiled new potatoes

The simple things in life are the best.

10. Very nice but "Au naturel?"

11. I've been married 50 years this year and after all that time,whilst I understand the remarks made and in fact agree with some,the fact remains that after all that time you just can't eat the same braising steak no matter how good it is cooked.
    In fact any meal is enhanced by the flavours you apply IMO
    She may moan and is a very good cook but Jersey pots are not the same without Mint sauce,butter and sometimes a little Englsh Mustard.
    My old man EVERY day of his life had a roast dinner with Yorkshire pudding[and I mean the large one eaten before the dinner arrived!]
    As a kid I used to dream of some chips! I'm just experimenting I guess.
    Boring subject I know but I can't get it thru to the better half.
    I like diff.flavours and don't ask me what I put on stir fries and curries!

12. janner

To someone from the land of fried Mars Bars he probably thinks it is

13. Ageing_Gracefully

Oy!!!

I resemble that remark :)

Misc Festival v 2 028.jpg
    Pic taken in Rose St, Edinburgh​

14. What do you put on stir fries and curries?

15. It's bit of a story mate,back in the day on the Puma we had an invite to a curry dinner from a rich ex-AB in Sierra Leone,no officers were invited guess they pissed him off once.
    Greatest curry I've ever had,just a dish then two/three tables filled with add ons,so now I try to do some of all that, a bit at a time.
    Last weeks curry was some of the ones I've stated plus hazel nuts,grated coconut,Mango chutney,Jerk seasoning etc.
    Next time I have another one it will be another try out of add ons.
    Eating the same meal over and over is not for me,i like to try out diff.flavours of the world.
    BTW I'm 5'9" just over 13 stone and fairly fit in case you thought,with all I have written, I was a Cyril Smith look a like!

16. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

A 'chip buttie', covered in Tomato sauce. Just the ticket.

17. janner

A nice runny fried egg sarny at 0300 eaten at the Black Cat cafe just outside Exeter.

18. Not condiments but I hate anything smoked, why ruin the taste of bacon fr'instance, it tastes brill on it's own, all I can taste with smoked bacon is the friggin smoke, same with haddock. While I'm here, cornish pasties with 'other' fillings, NO.

19. Couldn't agree more.

20. Despite working at Ginsters in the dark days of the early 70's, (and I have a tale to tell about my time there), I must admit the 3 best pasties I have ever eaten have been..... Ivor dewdney's in Plimuff, Langmans Bakery in Callington, (my hometown sort of) and Barnecutts in Lanson.