Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concerned

LeadPencil

Badgeman
Hi all,

So after going through tattoo removal for around 2 years and being referred to a senior doctor after my medical I have finally passed it.

I have my fitness test next week and yet to pass my security clearance, which I might fail due to paying out around £450 a month currently.

I'm also having second thoughts about joining as a whole. At 29, maybe I'm just too old. Joining as an AET.

I know I'm joining for a career and it's a job but one of the attractions is travelling and seeing things, I've read a few reviews and some people say you may not even see anything but the sea.

Serious thinking time for me.

Any advice is appreciated.

photface

Lantern Swinger
Hi all,

So after going through tattoo removal for around 2 years and being referred to a senior doctor after my medical I have finally passed it.

I have my fitness test next week and yet to pass my security clearance, which I might fail due to paying out around £450 a month currently.

I'm also having second thoughts about joining as a whole. At 29, maybe I'm just too old. Joining as an AET.

I know I'm joining for a career and it's a job but one of the attractions is travelling and seeing things, I've read a few reviews and some people say you may not even see anything but the sea.

Serious thinking time for me.

Any advice is appreciated.

What were your original motivations for joining?
You should go back to those...also, what would your plan B be?
Is it better than plan A?
If I were in your situation I guess a good old fashioned pros and cons list would be my first port of call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
After all the hassle so far, it would be rather remiss to forever wonder "what if?".

You can always jib it in the first six months or leave after about 4.5 years anyway.

Age-wise you are fine.

One thing I come across regularly as a Careers Adviser is people who tell me "I would've been a Special Forces Fast Jet Commando Diver, by now, but it was someone else's fault I couldn't join...."

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
An interesting observation Seadog, I have just received a missive from Nationwide the letter started So. Its taking over the world I tell you.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
An interesting observation Seadog, I have just received a missive from Nationwide the letter started So. Its taking over the world I tell you.
Agreed, drives me nuts. Very prevalent in management speak.

Don't know if it's just me, but I always think the entire sentence makes complete sense without it. To me, it comes across as condescending inasmuch is the assumption is "You don't know this, I'm going to patronise you...".

ElQuesoGrande

Lantern Swinger
'So', I wouldn't be concerned about only seeing sea. Even in today's much reduced RN, even the 'boring' Kipion deployments have port visits. You'll love Bahrain.

barny006

War Hero
So Mombasa is not bad either, up the coast even better to Malindi, Sunshine bar boring after a couple of nights

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
In your case janner, the "so" from the Nationwide is actually an acronym, they are politely telling you to Sod Off!

Stirlin

War Hero
Agreed, drives me nuts. Very prevalent in management speak.

Don't know if it's just me, but I always think the entire sentence makes complete sense without it. To me, it comes across as condescending inasmuch is the assumption is "You don't know this, I'm going to patronise you...".
Starting a sentence with ' Basically ' is much the same , gets on my tits.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
So basically I still haven't made a decision.

The £450 isn't a mortgage.
So basically, if not fundamentally, if your Careers Adviser gives you the green light at interview with regard finances, he/she believes on the face of it, you'll cope.

NSV/DBS, who process security clearance, may think differently once they check your credit rating. If you have a bucketload of defaults or a ccj that hasn't been addressed to the satisfaction of the creditor, there could be issues. If NSV send you a financial questionnaire, they're on your case. The advice is simply be upfront and honest as it usually works out OK.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that although we suggest committed outgoings in excess of 50% of your projected net income could be an issue, if you have a partner who works & shares the financial burden...the problem is effectively resolved in many cases (unless they're up to their eyes in debt too).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Charity regulator concerned by quality of external scrutiny of charity accounts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Foreign Secretary concerned by report on media freedoms in China MoD News 0
D Approaching 25 and very concerned... Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS News story: UK deeply concerned by situation in Yarmouk refugee camp in Syria MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "MPs 'Concerned' Over Defence Cuts" MoD News 19
R Security Screening- Concerned Dad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO Minister concerned about violence in West Bank and Gaza MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Foreign Office concerned by deaths of Palestinian teenagers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: Foreign Secretary extremely concerned at proposed new housing settlemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: FCO concerned by Iran’s installation of advanced centrifuges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Foreign Office concerned by Iran’s plan to install more centrifuges MoD News 0
A Concerned Recruit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
MoD_RSS UK concerned about escalation in hostilities in Kachin State, Burma. MoD News 0
T 'Queen concerned that United Kingdom will be broken up' Current Affairs 15
W Concerned Dad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
T Sterling's decline. I'm concerned...... Diamond Lil's 34
Gazza82 Concerned Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8

Latest Threads