Concerned

LeadPencil

Badgeman
Hi all,

So after going through tattoo removal for around 2 years and being referred to a senior doctor after my medical I have finally passed it.

I have my fitness test next week and yet to pass my security clearance, which I might fail due to paying out around £450 a month currently.

I'm also having second thoughts about joining as a whole. At 29, maybe I'm just too old. Joining as an AET.

I know I'm joining for a career and it's a job but one of the attractions is travelling and seeing things, I've read a few reviews and some people say you may not even see anything but the sea.

Serious thinking time for me.

Any advice is appreciated.

photface

Lantern Swinger
Hi all,

So after going through tattoo removal for around 2 years and being referred to a senior doctor after my medical I have finally passed it.

I have my fitness test next week and yet to pass my security clearance, which I might fail due to paying out around £450 a month currently.

I'm also having second thoughts about joining as a whole. At 29, maybe I'm just too old. Joining as an AET.

I know I'm joining for a career and it's a job but one of the attractions is travelling and seeing things, I've read a few reviews and some people say you may not even see anything but the sea.

Serious thinking time for me.

Any advice is appreciated.

What were your original motivations for joining?
You should go back to those...also, what would your plan B be?
Is it better than plan A?
If I were in your situation I guess a good old fashioned pros and cons list would be my first port of call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
After all the hassle so far, it would be rather remiss to forever wonder "what if?".

You can always jib it in the first six months or leave after about 4.5 years anyway.

Age-wise you are fine.

One thing I come across regularly as a Careers Adviser is people who tell me "I would've been a Special Forces Fast Jet Commando Diver, by now, but it was someone else's fault I couldn't join...."

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
An interesting observation Seadog, I have just received a missive from Nationwide the letter started So. Its taking over the world I tell you.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
An interesting observation Seadog, I have just received a missive from Nationwide the letter started So. Its taking over the world I tell you.
Agreed, drives me nuts. Very prevalent in management speak.

Don't know if it's just me, but I always think the entire sentence makes complete sense without it. To me, it comes across as condescending inasmuch is the assumption is "You don't know this, I'm going to patronise you...".

ElQuesoGrande

Lantern Swinger
'So', I wouldn't be concerned about only seeing sea. Even in today's much reduced RN, even the 'boring' Kipion deployments have port visits. You'll love Bahrain.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
In your case janner, the "so" from the Nationwide is actually an acronym, they are politely telling you to Sod Off!

Stirlin

War Hero
Agreed, drives me nuts. Very prevalent in management speak.

Don't know if it's just me, but I always think the entire sentence makes complete sense without it. To me, it comes across as condescending inasmuch is the assumption is "You don't know this, I'm going to patronise you...".
Starting a sentence with ' Basically ' is much the same , gets on my tits.

Latest Threads