Discussion in 'Submariners' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, Jul 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This Post is similar to one I posted elsewhere, amongst a mainly Civvy Population. As Submariners, serving or Ex, like me, our comradeship is of different but none-the-less sharing nature to that of the 'Brown Jobs'.

I Posted (in Response to 'Favourite Lyrics?') ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Brothers in Arms" Dire Straits

These thought-provoking* lyrics reflect upon Comradeship (especially poignant and relevant throughout the current operations of our Armed Forces.)

They float along all through a beautifully slow, haunting and soulful melody:

"Brothers in Arms"

These mist covered mountains
    Are a home now for me
    But my home is the lowlands
    And always will be
    Some day you’ll return to
    Your valleys and your farms
    And you’ll no longer burn
    To be brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction
    Baptisms of fire
    I’ve watched all your suffering
    As the battles raged higher
    And though they did hurt me so bad
    In the fear and alarm
    You did not desert me
    My brothers in arms

There’s so many different worlds
    So many differents suns
    And we have just one world
    But we live in different ones

Now the suns gone to hell
    And the moons riding high
    Let me bid you farewell
    Every man has to die
    But its written in the starlight
    And every line on your palm

We’re fools to make war
    On our brothers in arms

*We are led into assuming/believing that it is about same-side Comradeship.

However an intriguing and thought-provoking ambiguity is introduced, joltingly, at the final two lines:
    “Were fools to make war
    On our brothers in armsâ€

Could we also consider those fighting on the opposite side as OUR comrades?

Alternatively, these final Brothers in Arms could be interpreted as same-side Comrades but of a different stamp:
    i.e. Commissioned Officers vs. non-Commissioned Ranks who fought wars together but after their common battles may revert foolishly to prejudiced class or political conflicts.

Such is the power of the Dire Straits poetry, here and in some other of their works ….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~End Of Original Posting.

(I now cannot get this song out of my head & Civvies dont understand 'Comradeship...')

So - What do other Submariners really think, putting aside winding each other up!?
    Or - Am I getting too soft, having been inboard/outside for too long/not yet in any S/M'ers Asscn. ?

A Genuine Question and I am stone cold sober.

2. I suppose they could be spacemen as well.

Little green ones.

Bet you hadn't thought of that eh?
  3. What? Like E.T? Or the Kling-film-ons on the starboard bow, starboard bow etc?

You have got me thinking now, & that's dangerous at this time of night,

Thank you, anyway, rack time for now.

"Next Please....."
  4. I think it is true to say that Submariners regard there opposite numbers in other navies with a level of respect and given the chance would be quite happy to be their comrades.But whether this would extend to not wanting to harm them in a war situation is another matter.If it came down to him or me I would definitely choose me.
  5. I think submariners of all nations share a common bond as it is a somewhat unique lifestyle. I've had some great runs ashore in Hamburg and Bremerhaven with U-boat old comrades and a lot was done for the families of the Kursk when she went down. Doesn't stop you killing them in wartime though, just have an empathy with your foe IMHO
  6. Nice one WreckerL,thats respect,
  7. Aunty Betty's finest failed to select me as an intrepid bird man but the same, I believe, is true for aviators. On balance, though, I'd rather be up there than down there.

What goes up must come down. The reverse is not true.