Compulsory Level 2 Apprenticeships

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mictu, Feb 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello again.

I have been browsing the RN website and noticed a part where it says that almost all personnel entering the naval service are automatically entered into an Apprenticeship scheme.

Due to me joining as a Sea Spec it looks like I am going to be put on the Public Services apprenticeship and I was just wondering if everyone has to do the level 2 before progressing onto level 3?

The reason I am asking is because I already have 3 A levels at grade ABC which are level 3 qualifications so it would feel like I was taking a backwards step when the requirements to start a level 3 Public Services course at my local college requires 5 GCSE's at A*-C grade.

Thanks in advance

2. Sounds like your stepping backwards. Why not consider going for a commission? Surly with all those A levels you could go along that route.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

My advice is if your employer offers you unwanted additional transferable qualifications which are earned simultaneously and automatically whilst undergoing professional training, then you can always throw the certificates in the bin or use it for loft insulation.

For those with "better" educational qualifications wishing to further advance themselves, there is the Enhanced Learning Credit scheme available after completing your professional training: Elcas - Enhanced Learning Credit Administration System

4. I apologise if I was misleading but I was mainly wondering if there were any opportunities to start at level 3 instead of level 2 if you already have level 3 academic qualifications. I can understand if everyone has to start on level 2 and then proceed onto level 3 if they wish but I was only asking if you could start at the higher level if you had the academic requirements to do so.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally the course content is such that it meets the module content for the award of the stated qualification.

Whilst in initial training I doubt there is the time or flexibility to take it to the next level simultaneously, although I see your point. The next level would usually be acquired automatically on a service professional qualifying course as you progress through the ranks (rates) without the need to undertake a course in your own time.

My point is that it's a freebie that adds to your CV. The way to look at it is that even those with a degree in particle physics may find themselves undertaking a basic skills assessment or a first aid course in their career - all of which increases the range of qualifications held rather than progresses them towards their Masters, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I see your point now, thanks a lot for the quick responses.