Complete confuion

Discussion in 'RFA' started by leumaswilkins, Jul 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm really new to this forum and I therefor apologies if I say completely the wrong thing and have posted in completely the wrong place.

I have one more year left of College and have decided that I cannot face 3 more years after that sat in a class reading books. I feel that until I've seen what the world has to offer I'll just be going stir crazy.

I have a fascination with travel but don't have the money to travel. Therefor I've come to the conclusion that the best way to earn money quick would be by spending a few years in the navy or royal fleet auxiliary.

Am I right in saying the best job to do if I want to earn cash as soon as possible and leave as soon as possible would be to do a job as a deckhand? (I realise this is entirely against the ethos of the navy but for me joining would simply be about earning money)

So if I conclude that I want to become a deckhand, when should I begin to apply to be a deckhand? How long does the application process take?
    And what are the chances of being accepted?
    I would like to finish my final year of college so if I applied now, would I be required to join the navy or RFA before I've finished my final year of college?

Thank you very much

2. I think I'll give the navy a miss then.... Sometimes I think I should ban myself from using the internet.
  3. Don't worry, part of the reason I'm joining is for the money haha.

I just tend to gloss over that bit when the interviewer is around though! And I'm only looking to do a short stint in the RFA (going to jump ship to the RN in later life after I've gained my degree)

So you're not entirely alone!
  4. True, but they don't know who I am on here ;)

I was more meaning when I'm actually face to face with an interviewer, I'll mention the pay is one of the things that attracted me to the RFA over the over companies, I'm not exactly going to lie! And I informed my recruiting officer at SIFT I was only looking at a short stint with the RFA, to later join the RN. They seemed pretty fine with it! Well, fine enough to pass me to the AIB haha.
  5. I was just trying to be honest so I could get the best idea about it.
    I needed advice and there was no point lying as it wouldn't have helped.

I think I may have phrased it all rather terribly, I wasn't saying I wouldn't spend 3-5 years working my god damn ass off.
    Just that it wasn't that much of a long term career move.

6. Don't worry about it haha. If you're not looking for a massive career move and are not adverse to a little bit more eductation, why not look at the cadetship side, instead of deckhand? Waiting time for me was pretty quick! You get a degree(or a HND) whilst experiencing life at sea too!

Right now I don't think they're recruiting for deckhands, but I wouldn't quote me on that.

@Darrenbrewster You're a bad, bad person! sat looking over my shoulder now, fear in my eyes!!
  7. Ring 08456 07 55 55 to register your interest in joining and to be offered a space on an Initial Careers Presentation.
  8. Yes, that was sneakyfish

9. Good shout! Took me a moment to realise why that looked funny then haha, Though I'm not quite too sure how you managed it!

To be fair, I do want a long term career in the navy. After about five years in the RFA I'm going to re-evaluate my position, right now though my plan is to in/out then jump in the navy

(Actually, you may have tagged back to my old account, which I can't even remember the logon too (hence the new one) either that or my email shows up somewhere!)
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Don't worry, the secret's safe Shiner. ("Don't tell him your name, Pike")

With regard a short career, it's true to say the RFA offers a quicker turn around if you want to join & leave in short order.

Funnily enough when i joined 32 years ago, I thought I'd do the same & leave after about 5 years. Fact is, if you want the option of long-term "job security" (if there is such a word nowadays) the RN tends to offer more in this respect...but the RFA has the potential to employ you beyond age 60, whereas the RN is (currently) usually only to age 40 (55 max at present).

The minimum you can serve in the RN (if you don't opt out in the first 6 months), is around 4-4.5 years before to can first leave, depending on branch.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I have no idea, how my post has jumped one up like that!

ETA: I know how you found that now!
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  12. Why not work on super yachts? Money and travel.
  13. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

If SF went from RFA to RN I'd be stunned. Never heard of anyone doing that way round before.
  14. Always full of surprises I am!

Quite like to go counter current haha, slips people up!
  15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

We'll see when you've got used to more hands on engineering, cushy routines and tax free status, if you still feel the same.
  16. The one RFA I spent time on (Diligence), the engine room was all automated. The duty engineer officer could go where he wanted (not ashore obviously). If an alarm in the MCR (or whatever it was called) went off during the silent hours, it activated his bleeper and he went to investigate. There were no on-watch motormen.I don't know if this is common in all RFA's or merch.
  17. Gonna sound a tiny bit un-informed here but, What are watchkeeping routines exactly?
  18. Many variations on watchkeeping routines but very basically 4 hours on 8 off, or 6 on 6 off etc etc. Civvy's call it rolling shiftwork or some such.
  19. Ahh, shift work is ringing some bells for me! Thanks :)
  20. Dilipig did have a roving SG watchkeeper and an OOW on the bridge although always ran on autopilot.