Competitive FATs score

Hi all, struggling to find a definitive answer to this, maybe someone could help..
What is a good score for pilot on the FATs. I have a score of 113 (pass being 112). Is this good enough for AIB and to get selected as a pilot (the RAF take people with much higher scores) or should I retake with a hope of improving and getting a more competitive score, even though scores can also go down.

midsj09

Midshipman
I sat my FAT's and AIB last year so I'm by no means an expert on this however I can give you some input based on my experience and what I've been told from serving FAA/RN officers.

It seems that your AIB score takes slightly more precedence when it comes to selection. The RN seems to be more concerned with having high quality officers and average pilots, instead of high quality pilots and average officers (obviously if you can perform well in both areas then that's always a plus). Your score, albeit not being exceptional, is still a pass and demonstrates you have the necessary aptitude to be trained to fly aircraft.

I am unsure as to how your FAT scores would influence the streaming of rotary or FJ. You would have to get some more expert advice on that.

My two cents would be take the pass as just that, a pass. You've made it through another hurdle. Focus your attention now towards the AIB and performing the best you possibly can do. If you go to AIB and smash it chances are you will be within a competitive position to be offered pilot.

Bare in mind however that I am merely somebody in a very similar position as yourself and I'm by no means an expert, so I would wait until you've managed to get in touch with someone with more expertise on the topic until you make your mind up on your next step.

Has your ACLO tried to get in touch with the AIB directly to query the nature of your situation?

I sat my FAT's and AIB last year so I'm by no means an expert on this however I can give you some input based on my experience and what I've been told from serving FAA/RN officers.

It seems that your AIB score takes slightly more precedence when it comes to selection. The RN seems to be more concerned with having high quality officers and average pilots, instead of high quality pilots and average officers (obviously if you can perform well in both areas then that's always a plus). Your score, albeit not being exceptional, is still a pass and demonstrates you have the necessary aptitude to be trained to fly aircraft.

I am unsure as to how your FAT scores would influence the streaming of rotary or FJ. You would have to get some more expert advice on that.

My two cents would be take the pass as just that, a pass. You've made it through another hurdle. Focus your attention now towards the AIB and performing the best you possibly can do. If you go to AIB and smash it chances are you will be within a competitive position to be offered pilot.

Bare in mind however that I am merely somebody in a very similar position as yourself and I'm by no means an expert, so I would wait until you've managed to get in touch with someone with more expertise on the topic until you make your mind up on your next step.

Has your ACLO tried to get in touch with the AIB directly to query the nature of your situation?
Cheers, some good advice there. He hasn’t actually but I may bring that up.

Latest Threads